What's new

When did your recycled soil start not doing so well?

VortexPower420

Veteran
Brother bear- it doesn't happen in nature but it happens by the hands of man.

If used right working with nature it can improve the structure and productivity of crops.

RoostaPhish

Veteran
There is a few rare instances in nature were a deep till will occur. Flood, land slide, and glacial movement to name a couple off my head. Some forms are more rare and others happen in some places with regularity.

RoostaPhish

Veteran
And if we want to get down to the nitty gritty. Grazing creatures, as well as burrowing ones will lightly till the soil. And in some instances till it tremendously.

heady blunts

prescription blunts
Veteran
also

tumblr_mrg8kkmh261qmn9suo1_400.gif

tumblr_mrg8kkmh261qmn9suo2_400.gif

CannaBrix

A very high percentage of plants growing in the wild are perennials. Annuals are looked at as "natures emergency plants" by some. Occupying the space between perennials or the space where perennials have been destroyed. Minimal till may have its place in organic farming of annual crops. To mimic nature most closely we must go about it with this information in hand. A permaculture system of perennials to keep land fertile, tilling an area of that to grow annuals for a few years, and then rotate.

Just a thought

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
for some people their soil is so kicking it digests bacon fat like scrubbing bubbles eat dirt and grime on your toilet

CannaBrix

@weird

You're wrong about the bacon grease. Just plain wrong.

Some people's soils actually require bacon grease to grow plants at all...science just won't tell you everything and that is that.

I went 3 years with the same soil before I moved. No soil tests, and everything got better, and better.

If you are using worms, and doing no-till then your containers can eventually turn into 100% worm castings. That's when you will need to mix that with some other ingredients to kind of start "fresh".

Siever

Veteran
I have worms in my soil too because sometimes I let my pots rest outside in the garden. Apperently worms got inside true the drainage holes.

No till is very much a chem agriculture idea when used in the context of broad acre farms.
Vortex is right about notill originally being a chemical idea. I had a cousin that grew soybean in the 90's. Farmers would spray a roundup type of weedkiller on the previous season's corn stalk then plant soybean the following season. i never knowingly ate soy or drank soy milk after knowing thats how it's commonly grown.

Only thing I see doing a "deep till" is humans using machines. What in the untouched live organic world does that ?
Your words sound backwards in my mind :plant grow:

BrotherBear... Hogs are one of the many that aggressively till and root up fields....

photo-2.jpg

Siever

Veteran
Cannabrix,

you're goddamn right about the mites, but I mean without the plants. After the harvest that is.