What's new

whatZ....U'r Favorite..... Sandwich????

yortbogey

To Have More ... Desire Less
Veteran
what about A Cuban Pork Sandwich.....

picture.php

History

As with Cuban bread, the origin of the Cuban sandwich (sometimes called a "Cuban mix", "mixto sandwich", or "Cuban Pressed Sandwich") is somewhat murky.[4] The sandwich became a common lunch food for workers in both the cigar factories and sugar mills of Cuba and the cigar factories of Ybor City around 1900.
At that time, travel between Cuba and Florida was easy, and Cubans frequently sailed back and forth for employment, pleasure, and family visits. Because of this constant and largely undocumented movement of people and culture and ideas, it's impossible to say exactly when and where the Cuban sandwich first became a common worker's meal. By around 1910, however, workers' cafés in Cuba, Ybor City, and the older Cuban enclave of Key West were serving many such sandwiches daily.
In Cuba (where it is more commonly known as a mixto), the sandwich was served in kiosks, coffee bars and casual restaurants, especially in the big cities such as Havana or Santiago de Cuba. In Tampa's bustling Latin enclaves of Ybor City and West Tampa, it was served in mainly in cafes catering to workers in the cigar industry. By the 1960s, Cuban sandwiches were also common on Miami cafeteria and restaurant menus, as the city had gained a large influx of Cuban residents after Fidel Castro's 1959 rise to power in their native land.
The Communist Revolution caused a wave of Cuban expatriates to settle in other locations as well, and they brought their culture and cuisine with them. Cuban sandwiches are now served in various Cuban exile communities in places such as New York, New Jersey, Chicago, and Puerto Rico, among others.
In 2010, MSN Local named the Cuban as one of the "15 essential sandwiches.

Ingredients

Cuban Sandwiches ready to be pressed in a busy cafe in Ybor City, Tampa
While there is some debate as to the contents of a "true" Cuban sandwich, most are generally agreed upon. The traditional Cuban sandwich starts with Cuban bread. The loaf is sliced into lengths of 8-12 inches (20–30 cm), lightly buttered, or brushed with olive oil, on the crust, and cut in half horizontally. A coat of yellow mustard is spread on the bread. Then roast pork, glazed ham, Swiss cheese, and thinly-sliced dill pickles are added in layers. Sometimes the pork is marinated in mojo and slow roasted.
The main regional disagreement about the sandwich’s recipe is whether or not to include salami. In Tampa, Genoa salami is traditionally layered in with the other meats, probably due to influence of Italian immigrants who lived side-by-side with Cubans and Spaniards in Ybor City. In Miami, salami is left out.
Sometimes, mayonnaise, lettuce, and/or tomato are also added. These additions are often available in restaurants in Miami and Tampa, but are frowned upon by traditionalists there.
When assembled, the sandwich is lightly toasted in a sandwich press called a plancha, which is similar to a panini press but without grooved surfaces. The plancha both heats and compresses the sandwich, which remains in the press until the bread is crispy and the cheese is melted. It is usually cut into diagonal halves before serving.

paladin420

FACILITATOR
Veteran
How about odd sandwichs? Peanut butter and dill pickles!! Not as pretty as all the above but damn I ate a lot of em..

shawkmon

Pleasantly dissociated
Veteran
dude knows his sandwiches, ill second this

Hey Yort,
My absolute favorite is the Monte Cristo sandwich, which is basically a ham and cheese sandwich dipped in egg batter then fried to make a stuffed savory "french toast" sandwich. There are many variations of this sandwich, I'll take any..

picture.php

Not for the cholesterol challenged. I admit.

Bobby Stainless

"Ill let you try my Wu-Tang style"
Veteran
Hanks-Po-Boy.jpg

Oyster Po Boy at Hanks Oyster Bar in Old Town Alexandria VA, i miss this sandwich. been a while.

Used to live there. Old Town is awesome. I used to frequent The Warehouse for brunch. Screwdrivers and eggs...

My own breakfast sammich.

picture.php

A proper Lobster Roll is hard to beat.

3985076034_636e182297_b.jpg

Soft Shell Crab Po Boy
SoftShellCrabPoboy.jpg

drooling_homer_bcLbIGCQbPaE_RE_Tell_Me_Something_Good_ampquotuprate_partyampquot-s314x360-240619-580.gif

joe fresh

Mentor
Veteran
americans might call it a corned beef sandwich, or a pastrami on rye...but where im from its called a smoked meat sandwich...and only one place to get it...schwarts deli...been open in montreal for over 80 years...i have not been there in a very very long time, maybe 5 years..but its the fucking best...each brisket is smoked for a min of 7 days...mmmmmm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schwartz%27s

800px-Schwartz_smoked_meat_montreal.JPG

Several restaurateurs have offered to build Schwartz's as franchise operations in cities across North America, to which the owners have always refused. In February 2012, following weeks of rumors, it was confirmed the sale of Schwartz's is imminent. While neither the official sale or an announcement of who the new owners will be has come to pass, it is believed it will be a partnership consortium consisting René Angélil and his wife Celine Dion, cousin Paul Sara (former owner of the Nickles restaurant chain), and Paul Nakis, the latter who is involved with the Baton Rouge Restaurant chain and other restaurant/pub franchises.[9] Cost of the sale is reportedly $10 million. Many have raised concerned that the new group, despite disapproval from locals, may very well franchise Schwartz's restaurant.
check it out...if you ever visit the montreal area, then i strongly suggest going here...next time i visit im gonna buy a good 300$ worth of meat....

benjaminzabler

My favorite sandwiches are fish sandwich, chicken sandwich and vegetable sandwich. I like eat all different sandwiches in every weekend. These all sandwiches are very testy to eat and many people are like these three sandwiches to eat and most favorite is chicken sandwich.

StayHigh149

When I was stationed in Germany, we used to get schnitzel sandwiches after leaving the bar & man, they tasted really good while drunk.

Also, although not really a sandwich, I miss a really good doner kebab with that garlic mayonaise kinda sauce....there was this spot rite next to the Hard Rock Cafe in Nuremburg Germany that made the best doner kebabs that I've ever had.

W

Womble

...Do burritos count?
View Image
NC style pulled pork (Vinegar based sauce)
Detroit style coney
Chicago Italian beef

Damn this thread makes me hungry. Off to the local bbq!

soryy bro but that looks disgusting. :biggrin:

sauce's and extra slop optional right?....you ain't tucking into that are you Crave??? my word i love falafel,had the best in Jerusalem for 6 months while i was out there,but that's an outrageous sauce to falatio ratio!!!!!!........nyom nyom nyom :comfort:

Corpsey

pollen dabber
ICMag Donor
Veteran
since my last oyster po boy went missing.... heres a replacement ....

menus-500x333.jpg

and how about a new favorite for this year.... brie and apple sandwich...

apple-brie-sandwich1.jpg

Cheese, avocado, alfalfa sprouts and tomato on rye bread. And chili sauce.
Or roast lamb and tomato, with tomato sauce (like ketchup but tastes more natural).

Latest posts

Latest posts