What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

What's wrong

Redblueblur993

Could this be nitrogen deficiency? the powdery shot could be not enough air flow. The one Apollo XX is yellow green.
IMG20240124101315.jpg
IMG20240124101331.jpg
IMG20240124101341.jpg

TanzanianMagic

Veteran
I see mildew, and discoloration from light exposure without enough water getting up through the plant.

They're underwatered, and need some hosing down with water and some fermentation of sprouted hempseeds/microgreens.

Because of the airpots and the massive amount of perlite in the mix, you may need to increase the frequency of watering.

Last edited:

Ca++

Plant 1 could have a virus. There is the questionable mosaic leaf, with an earlier crumpled one below it. Along with an overall short bushy appearance, which the slightly deformed growing tips highlight further. I would check what that plant is meant to look like, and be prepared to launch it out the door.

Plant 2 looks related.

Plant 3 has some marginal rolling that again seems concerning. It's lower leaves look insect damaged. As do those leaves of neighbours reaching in.

Worst case scenario is a virus that's been shared by the bugs.
I would have to think of my growing space at this point, and really consider a full burn. It's probably the last thing on most peoples minds, but that is why we have these problems to begin with.

I guess you will carry on. That means treating the thrips, which is easy. Then looking at plant 3, particularly on the leaf that looks like weedkiller got it, for broad mites. The stunted plants can only be watched. They might produce 80% of their potential, or might just dud.

It's a lot to go wrong, so soon. Many of us are in mid winter, and don't expect to see a bug at all. Is it garden soil?

Redblueblur993

So I did find a thrips. I snipped off those branches I looked up online how to solve the problem but I couldn't understand it. I don't want to use pesticide I want to do it naturally.
IMG20240126111138.jpg
IMG20240126110741.jpg

Redblueblur993

So I did find a thrips. I snipped off those branches I looked up online how to solve the problem but I couldn't understand it. I don't want to use pesticide I want to do it naturally.
View attachment 18951094 View attachment 18951095
Can they travel if I touch them. Would the fan also help them travel around the room or would it have to be like if the plant leaves or the plant itself is touching another one

TanzanianMagic

Veteran
View attachment 18951094
The missing leaf is a sign of something bigger. More like a small caterpillar in size.

That's either a thrip or a whitefly.

The larger hole is again proof of something bigger. Maybe a large leafhopper.

Underwatering also makes plants more attractive to bugs. Same with a pH that is too low.

TanzanianMagic

Veteran
The missing leaf is a sign of something bigger. More like a small caterpillar in size.

That's either a thrip or a whitefly.

The larger hole is again proof of something bigger. Maybe a large leafhopper.

Underwatering also makes plants more attractive to bugs. Same with a pH that is too low.

PS, what's with the sad face. :) Our plants attract bugs and you can never get rid of them completely.

If you spray them with some fermented sprouted hemp microgreens, the plants will be covered with beneficial bacteria, and the insects will actually help tracking the beneficials around.

I think insects track around damaging bacteria because they actually help them feed. So if you replace those with beneficial bacteria, you're also limiting insect damage.

Redblueblur993

PS, what's with the sad face. :) Our plants attract bugs and you can never get rid of them completely.

If you spray them with some fermented sprouted hemp microgreens, the plants will be covered with beneficial bacteria, and the insects will actually help tracking the beneficials around.

I think insects track around damaging bacteria because they actually help them feed. So if you replace those with beneficial bacteria, you're also limiting insect damage.
Would ladybugs help? I looked it up on Google and said it could. I'd like to stay away from using pesticide. Even if it's safe. But if I need to I will.

TanzanianMagic

Veteran
Would ladybugs help? I looked it up on Google and said it could. I'd like to stay away from using pesticide. Even if it's safe. But if I need to I will.
I would say big things first. Environment, water, nutrients.

The simple way to reduce insect pressure is to spray the plants from top to bottom, 5 seconds per node, inside the plant (you can even hold them upside down if they're small to remove insects with gravity and spraying) and outside, 1x per day for at least 3 days in a row. That will mechanically remove many insects, just with a strong, persistent spray. If you add beneficial bacteria that's even better. Hempsprouts fermented with raw sugar (honey for flowering) is the best, however you can also use a light compost, worm castings or manure tea.

Also, you don't have a huge infestation, just environmental conditions that affect the plant. Like relative underwatering because of the airpots and perlite. First priority, increase watering frequency.

That's thrips larvae 100% in your photo. I wouldn't bother with lady bugs, but if you use predatory mites like swirski, in combination with Orius, those 2 will clean up thrips nicely. reason for no ladybugs - if you go into flower with ladybugs around, you'll be pulling them out of your nugs cause they get stuck in the trichomes. The ones I'm suggested may also, but the predatory mites won't be noticeable. Best to have this cleaned up before flower though

Redblueblur993

Sorry I haven't posted in a while it's been a little bit busy for me I've been dealing with this pest aphids and thrips I've tried using this product right here and it did not help it seems like infestation is getting worse. They're still in veg 6 weeks in I want to flower but I'm hesitant at the moment. I ordered ladybugs 2 days ago and it's going to take a week or two for it to get in so I'm kind of worried. There's nothing on the clones.
IMG20240205102815.jpg
IMG20240215132240.jpg
IMG20240215123320.jpg
IMG20240215123240.jpg
IMG20240215123157.jpg
Screenshot_2024-02-15-12-31-13-55_92460851df6f172a4592fca41cc2d2e6.jpg
IMG20240215123053.jpg

TanzanianMagic

Veteran
Especially insects larger than mites are easy to spray off. Especally fat bodied insects like aphids or thrips, once they're off the plant, they're not going to crawl back up.

So while you're waiting for the ladybugs to show up, spraying the plant is the way to go.

Last edited:

Redblueblur993

Keep spraying everyday and should I do a soil drench every few days? I've done the drench and I sprayed all over the AirPots and the ground of the tent.

TanzanianMagic

Veteran
Keep spraying everyday and should I do a soil drench every few days? I've done the drench and I sprayed all over the AirPots and the ground of the tent.
Basically use a strong spray of at least 5 seconds per node, inside the plant, then outside, working from the top down.

Twice a day for 3 days with a strong infestation like this, then once a week to once every 2 weeks.

You should add a very small amount of nutrients to the water, to compensate for leaching of nutrients. 50 PPM or 0.2 EC is right, or if you have it fermented hemspeed, compost tea, worm tea, manure tea. In similarly light concentration.

Redblueblur993

Finally got ladybugs to go back two weeks for it to come in as it is a seasonal item but they will take care of the aphids there's a lot of aphids on the Apollos none on the sour Bluetooth the thrips look like they have gone away been spraying them for over 2 weeks and I haven't found one yet and hopefully not.
IMG20240221104118.jpg
IMG20240221104038.jpg
IMG20240221104030.jpg
IMG20240221104051.jpg
IMG20240221104045.jpg

TanzanianMagic

Veteran
Those plants have a lot of issues.

Like I said before - the most imporant things are the big issues, environment, water, nutrients.

- What medium and nutrients are used?
- What's the pH and EC or PPM of the nutrient used
- How often are the plants watered/fed

Last edited:

X15

People talk trash about ladybugs but I’ve found they work great for thrips and other pests and no they almost never get stuck in the buds or the trichomes. I’ve really never found any stuck in buds. Only downside is the fact they need a constant food source so if they eat all the thrip issue up they will need more food. I’ve found keeping a couple pots around with plants that constantly flower under 12/12 will help keep them thriving. I like to grow peas and pepper plants as they provide nectar and pollen on a 12/12 light cycle and need little light… so keeping them off to the side is. I issue. Good luck bud.