What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

What's A Good Sealant That Won't Off Gas???

Granger2

Veteran
There's a crap load of Silicone Caulk in my room. Never had a problem. Says it offgasses only methyl alcohol, and ammonia. Once it's dry, it stops that. I fear it would be quite expensive to do all the sealing this guy has to do. Good luck. -granger

Miraculous Meds

Not for me. Friends ware house...just advising him to be careful.

If the plants are out of the area for a day they should be fine after the great stuff cures. Also they should be able to stay in place in the same room as the great stuff if there is good air flow and exhaust. If its a big concern break up the amount sealed to 1/4 of the room each day.

whadeezlrg

Just Say Grow
Veteran
I bought a cheap 5x5 tent from amazon a few months back, within 3 days of my plants being inside they were fucked, completely.

retro- I use great stuff all the time, I've used it in every room I've ever built and I've never had offgassing issues until the stupid tent I got from amazon(I didn't use any great stuff in the tent)

Not for me. Friends ware house...just advising him to be careful.

if your doing large areas tyvec is what id be going with, simple slap jack to the posts then tape all seams/holes pretty basic stuff, all the small stuff needs to be done before hand like insulating gaps/walls. dont take this the wrong way but if putting a vapor barrier up or deciding how what to use is hard i wouldnt let them or trust them to do the job correctly, it might just not be there area which is fine but doing it right the first time will always pay dividends vs doing it over. my 2¢

RetroGrow

Veteran
I bought a cheap 5x5 tent from amazon a few months back, within 3 days of my plants being inside they were fucked, completely.

retro- I use great stuff all the time, I've used it in every room I've ever built and I've never had offgassing issues until the stupid tent I got from amazon(I didn't use any great stuff in the tent)

RE: Great Stuff-This room was in someone else's location. Multiple things were used in building room, with Great stuff being one of them, but it could very well have been the other stuff, which was some kind of tar. Great Stuff does off gas a bit, but apparently not enough to be harmful if given time to dry.
Did Amazon refund your money?

whadeezlrg

Just Say Grow
Veteran
no, I didn't even try to return it(it was only $120, and the company disappeared...figured I'd use it to dry in or something). I ended up picking up a sun hut the day I realized the issue and just swapped the skin onto the frame from the bad tent...ran what was left of the plants as I had no other options and ended up with a disgusting yield of 11zips from 1k w/ a strain I usually have no problems hitting 1.5#/per...this damn shipping container build need's to be done already but I've been a procrastinating mofo...I hate tent's and only ran in the new ones as a temporary/transitional run

RetroGrow

Veteran
no, I didn't even try to return it(it was only $120, and the company disappeared...figured I'd use it to dry in or something). I ended up picking up a sun hut the day I realized the issue and just swapped the skin onto the frame from the bad tent...ran what was left of the plants as I had no other options and ended up with a disgusting yield of 11zips from 1k w/ a strain I usually have no problems hitting 1.5#/per...this damn shipping container build need's to be done already but I've been a procrastinating mofo...I hate tent's and only ran in the new ones as a temporary/transitional run

Amazon's good about refunds. I would ask and get a credit to buy other stuff. Tell them you suffered monetary losses because of a defective product that they sold.

whadeezlrg

Just Say Grow
Veteran
I just might have to do that, although it has been close to 90 days or more...trying couldn't hurt, and I know my chick wouldn't mind getting a Christmas gift this year lol

Loose Cannon

if your doing large areas tyvec is what id be going with, simple slap jack to the posts then tape all seams/holes pretty basic stuff, all the small stuff needs to be done before hand like insulating gaps/walls. dont take this the wrong way but if putting a vapor barrier up or deciding how what to use is hard i wouldnt let them or trust them to do the job correctly, it might just not be there area which is fine but doing it right the first time will always pay dividends vs doing it over. my 2¢

3M FireBlock is what I've used before w/o issues and will use again.
Seems a bit of airing is all that's needed w most of these and if time isn't on your side then get a real job, this isn't for you.

Miraculous Meds

I just might have to do that, although it has been close to 90 days or more...trying couldn't hurt, and I know my chick wouldn't mind getting a Christmas gift this year lol

Maybe she would like the grow tent as a gift. Two birds with one stone. Then u can tell her she doesn't know how to grow when everything dies and that she just needs to listen to u all the time for advice. lol

3M FireBlock is what I've used before w/o issues and will use again.
Seems a bit of airing is all that's needed w most of these and if time isn't on your side then get a real job, this isn't for you.

i agree there are many different sealant foams that will work depending on what exactly your sealing, its hard to give solid advice without knowing what exactly is having to get sealed off. i dont get ur last part if thats a bad jab at me or just a bad choice of words :/

JointOperation

honestly. we just need to figure out.. what exactly is offgassing.. and what to avoid..

ive used a few different chaulkings.. but I put panda film up.. so I haven't noticed anything

Loose Cannon

i agree there are many different sealant foams that will work depending on what exactly your sealing, its hard to give solid advice without knowing what exactly is having to get sealed off. i dont get ur last part if thats a bad jab at me or just a bad choice of words :/
Insert Image(s)

No jabs intended toward you or anyone.
Any and all advice is appreciated and considered.
I have Prodex insulation ordered, (The Gnome) enough to do entire building with 2 layers and will probably use a fiberglass R30 for between these.
Foam will more than likely not be an issue as it'll be on outside of outermost layer.
I'm probably going to use Tyvec tape for larger gaps and corners first, then foam.

After taping, foaming, and first layer of Prodex w glue I intend to use 250K BTU heater off and on for 2 or 3 days while monitoring inside air with device used in clean rooms. (associates equipment)
Yes! Fumes are flammable.

picture.php

whiteberrieS

With A Black Flag Raised In The Sky
Veteran
Haha I was just fuckin around..no idea if it'll off-gas. It'll fix your leaky boat though.

Ru5tyNaiL

Yea I didn't even see the whole title on my phone it just said what's the best sealant lol first thing I thought of was the boat with the screen door bottom

Granger2

Veteran
I use to think of that, now I think about the boat they shot full of cannon ball holes. Seen that one?

I would use Great stuff or any low cost solution, let it cure and air out the building, and put the Prodex on sealed, and I don't see how outgassing could be an issue. And using 2 sealed layers like you said, I just don't see an issue. Good luck. -granger

Latest posts

Latest posts