What's new

What year do you see Marijuana being Legalized?

bird1959

In the United States it creates too much money being illegal. If they thought the government could pull in the same amount if it was legal. Then no problem with making it legal. Its all about money not dangers of the drug.

newbgrow

By 2038 we'll have the plant regulated and distributed by lisencors. By 2150-ish, the United States will collapse due to global warming, and some rogue army brought together by a bunch of disgruntled citizens will openly allow weedfarms, to fund their organization. Legalized? Never.

You do realize that if the US legalizes a drug, ever other countries HAS TO at the same time, right? That makes it highly unlikely. Given the rate that the US consumes drugs, once it's legalized, every other country will likely get alot of imports... The black market would shift to their territories, and they'll blame the US for its lack of policy. So you see, it takes a great deal of coordination to bring down this international black market...

vavwl

I honestly can't see it becoming legal unless the global economy collapses. A drug like cannabis can't be controlled if its legal. The value of cannabis will become very low if anyone has the freedom to grow it. Very wealthy people make billions off the drug trade. The money from the drug trade doesn't just end up as piles of cash in peoples basements, the money ends up on wallstreet and is also mostly laundered into the worlds largest banks. Which in turn allows them to loan out even more money and collect interest on it. The drug trade is a huge chunk of the global economy.

Compared to other drugs cannabis is the easiest to produce and a huge money maker for the global drug trade.. I know im cynical, but I don't ever see it being totally legal. Perhaps we can expect it to be similar to wine, where you can make your own but can't sell it. But even then you can create enough cannabis for yourself that you don't need to go to the store and be taxed. Growing cannabis is easier and faster then making wine.

HerbGlaze

Eugene Oregon
Veteran
Stay positive bros/and sisters.
A positive outlook on things really does make the odds of it much greater =D.
Think of it like this,know how many diseases still havent been found yet in the future we will have much more horrid diseases that may be cured by MJ.. or one the side effects of the diseases will be cured by MJ.
I swear if it isnt legal when im 60.. im moving to somewhere who doesnt have such a hard-on for keeping are society from the truth.

HerbGlaze

Eugene Oregon
Veteran
Blue i never thought of that the younger the voting age, there are great # more of voters that smoke MJ at a younger age that would up a great advantage of legalizing.
Thats another good thing to try to get America to do, drop the voting age to around 13-16.

G

i for one agree with babbabud, i kind of feel like the folks from the '60s pretty much sold out and now are sitting on PTAs talking about how they know they smoked dope but need to protect their kids now from 'new' pot or whatever...

on the other hand i'm really impressed by the kids who are like 18-25 now, to me they are very cynical, skeptical and totally untrusting of all the bullshit that is going on in our country right now...people that were kids in the 90s grew up being coddled and had this bullshit clintonian worldview of pseudo-prosperity filtering everything...everybody thought everything was super and you could just go work for some company and everybody would be millionaires in 10 years when the dow went to 25000...kids today don't have any such illusions and love to call 'bullshit'... personally i'm looking forward to when they start getting more power, i can't wait...

NiteTiger

Tiger, Tiger, burning bright...
Veteran
I think an old stoner I knew summed it up best. We got to smoking, and I eventually went off on one of my rants about the legality of pot. He let me go off for a little while, then he said this:

You know, I really don't care if it's legal. If it's legal, I'll smoke. If it's illegal I'll smoke. I'll smoke it no matter what someone else says. I've been smoking it while it's illegal, if some suit suddenly says it's legal, what difference does it make?

raygun

Babbabud said:
Well forty years ago when i was a teen we all thought that when our generation came into power the MJ laws would change. Sorry I guess we dropped the ball. :(

Hey Babba My cousin and I have talked about this many times while stoned. Now this question is not directed directly at you but everyone from this era; What happend with the 60's people movement? Lots of radical political protests against the Govt. lots of believe in change. What happend and how did the hippy movement fade away with time? Or, did the Hippies burn out in the 70's club drug seen? I would have thought that there would have been some drastic govt. change from with in due to that generation. :badday:

Instead we got Apple computers the internet and more political corruption than ever before with the exception of Tamany Hall. IMO

Oh and a whole generation of children raised by the hippy gen who are not nearly as motivated to change.... How did that not get instilled in the youth and next generation.....

We only failed ourselves at a govt by the people for the people when we allowed corporate sponsorship of officials. I think that ALL pollititions should ware there contributers as badges like in NASCAR... :rant: :joint:

This is just a question that i ask all my elders that were part of that time. Just trying to learn from the past.

Oh and as to the Thread question.
I can only wish for decriminalization for personal use to be ok by 2012, I think to many so called "normal" people, not criminals or related to, linked to or associated with, but family types and well to do citizens, will be harmed by the govt. blind persecution of marijuana users in the years to come. You will have doctors and laywers and buseinss executives all brought up on retarded charges for marijuana as it becomes more socialy acceptable even as a recreational drug and not as medicine. After all a glass of red wine or dark beer is supposed to be a benifitial thing so medically it has proven to be usefull. However it is primarily used as a recreational drug to get shit faced on.

Seriously who drinks a rum and coke, long island, gin & tonic or any hard alchohol just because it is thirst quenching. Aside from the connesours of fine distilled beverages who are a class of there own... personally i like a good whisky/whiskey/burbon on the rocks every now and then... :redface:

Ok i'm done now.. :wave:

HerbGlaze

Eugene Oregon
Veteran
The 60's made it illegal with there counterculture, dont get me wrong I love the counterculture im 100% with it but.. my dad who was born in 54 told me when I started smoking.. "Son you cant do this, its horrible and I dont want you to end up like I did, because when you do something and your under the influence of it, your not as smart and then start drinking then you get Hepitidus like I have now"
So I understand the viewing of that of a parent living the life in the 60's but please god created this plant and who made Beer Man did.
I told my dad the same thing and he recovered from his Hep and then he said "Son Im not going to tell you what to do or not I just hope you succeed and be Happy in life"
And today Im doing fine.
My dads still up and moving.

blAsia

Who is Gov of CA? Is it AS?

Anyway, it doesn't need to be made legal in the typical sense... what needs to happen is first for a Gov., or many to just say that they are no longer funding the ridiculous eradication and conviction programs of MJ. No more high tech gadget toys, no more Helos on demand, no more shit. Get your asses out there and get the criminals that harm others, you lazy pieces of shit. Earn your pay. If no $$$ goes in, then???

L

Lune TNS

As long as there is money in it being illegal, it will never be legal. Public opinion has nothing to do with it, as the ones who make money from marijuana's prohibition are the same people who educate the public about it, in a sense controlling public opinion. As soon as there is more money in it being legal, the laws will change.

well

well

Depends if my generation gets into office, im pretty sure it will be legal.. but the way shit is going I don't see it ever being legal.. this country is not what is used to be... :( it makes me sad, it would be so much better if more people just smoked weed, then they could wake up and say HEY were waisting billions on fighting a gay war, and a war on drugs.. so lets take that money and fix are schools or start looking out for giant mertours or astroids from hitting us, or **** a god dam roaming star could hit us.. AHH its crazyness.. STOP WAISTING OUR MONEY YOU STUPID GOVERMENT

I spell bad.. deal.

Echoes

Maybe a bit pessimistic...

Maybe a bit pessimistic...

I'm pretty sure I'll never see the complete legalization of cannabis in my lifetime. I doubt it'll ever happen in the US, actually. As long as these industries keep lining the pockets of our government officials, they'll have no reason to legalize it. I think the medical cannabis movement may have some sustaining power but I truly doubt it will ever be legal for recreational use. If for some miraculous reason it is ever legalized I think it will be because of the medical allowance. People may start to see first-hand that it isn't so bad and perhaps its benefits will spread more rapidly by word of mouth. Also, as long as our schools are bashing cannabis with anti-drug programs, a good number of people will continue to grow up misinformed. I worry about our country's influence on our neighbors as well. Strategically I think that if the US did somehow allow personal recreational use of cannabis it would open the door for other countries as well. If I'm thinking correctly we did frown at Mexico and perhaps Canada(?) when they tried to rid themselves of these unfair laws. We basically massaged them into changing their mind. If we can topple our country's stance on it I think the rest of the world will have a chance but I don't see it happening. But, hell, that doesn't mean I won't still try. Either way, I'll still smoke. At least I know the truth. :rasta:

Last edited:

simba

Sleeping Dragon
inform your neighbors of the truth.. that will help..
word of mouth makes many things happen

simba

Sleeping Dragon
i just relized something else why they HATE POT and have to say its so bad to the dumb out there

when "medicated or just smoking up" im more apt to Read up crap and pay more attention.. Funny huh..
but any rate.. its the only drug u can do these things and want to do these things..
so they Dont want more people using over Alc.. more people with braincells..

does that make sense can anyone explain it better....

newbgrow

I can explain it better. Momentum. It takes alot of guts and strength, and planning, to change the direction of wheel that's already been turning for decades. And what politician in his right mind would be willing to commit career suicide by going against the grain? It's not so simple as, "Let's stop the war on drugs right now and everything will be hunky dory!"

I doubt that they "hate pot"... besides some core DEA guys who has been brainwashed. I'd be more willing to say, "they don't care about pot." They don't. It's a minor, fringe issue, as far as their concerned. And the drug issue doesn't churn votes. What you gotta understand is there's a process to these things...

If I was a medical pot activist, in my opinion, I would change my shirt and become libertarian, and push for states rights over a central government (making no mention of drugs at all). Once that's accomplished, I could argue for legalization over the local arena, vs. fighting the whole damn country, because there's way too many viewpoints, way too many lifestyles involved. These organization like NORML need to rethink their strategy. The ones who cry loudest will get other people annoyed...

Gert Lush

Veteran
Some nice points you make there newbgrow!

Good thread!
To those that asked about the "60s", I'd say this - the sixties were just a start, a hint at what was possible, but little more than that. There was no real exemplary leadership. There was no follow-through. Hell, guys like Jerry Rubin became management consultants, and got bucks from Wall Street on their track record as "lifestyle-changing consultants". That's just one example. Many of the prominent figures were simply musos. Nothing wrong with that, but not exactly agents for change, especially once the limos and the rock-and-roll bucks piled in. Or they just ODed :D

The only factor that kept the whole thing going was the sexual revolution, I think, coz no-one was letting that get away. But apart from that, once a follow through was needed, once the SEVENTIES hit and people saw what they REALLY had to do to bring about change, most said 'fück this' and followed the path of the quick buck... which has brought us to where we are today.

Freedom, as those who know have said, is something to fight for, you don't get it dropped in your lap. Who has stomach for a fight today? Things will have to get a bit worse before people realise just how badly they've been duped (or duped themselves, perhaps? let's not blame everything on the man) and decide to DO something about it. As in take RESPONSIBILITY, if we haven't forgotten what the word means by then.

As for the legalisation date, your guess is as good as mine. Maybe when the cynical youth that has already been mentioned comes of voting age. Maybe. Then again, maybe there'll be nothing TO vote for, assuming that they'd even bother. I'd like to paint an optimistic scenario, but frankly I see far to many people taking a defeatist attitude - and that attitude doesn't even deserve freedom. So I guess it will be legal when we want it to be.

I mean really want it, with everything that involves, not just sitting and bitching about it... :wink:

Last edited: