What's new

What tools do you prefer to use to harvest?

stihgnobevoli

Veteran
i grow micro so i usually just use whatever scissors i have that are large enough to cut the stem, or a pair of small snips. for the trimming i use a pair of surgical scissors i stole from the hospital. small and can get in between the buds for snipping leaves.

relief

Happy 700th post stihgnobevoli.

I borrowed a pair of my moms sewing scissors one day and was amazed by how good they was. Can cut all day and my hands dont cramp and it take very little pressure to cut, then springs right back open. You really got to try these to see what we're talking about.

4-5-Sewing-Scissors-SK-3202-.jpg

Lil 'o Me

Farm hand
Veteran
I borrowed a pair of my moms sewing scissors one day and was amazed by how good they was. Can cut all day and my hands dont cramp and it take very little pressure to cut, then springs right back open. You really got to try these to see what we're talking about.

4-5-Sewing-Scissors-SK-3202-.jpg
These look awsome for the job! Where'd you get these?

relief

These look awsome for the job! Where'd you get these?

They're called thread snips. I got mine at walmart (crafts department), but you can do a google search and find a bunch of online retailers. They go from 2.50 and up depending on what you want. The one I bought was $19.00 but the entire thing was made out of stainless steel.

http://www.google.com/products?q=thread+snips&hl=en&output=nojs&price2=4.00&scoring=p

This is the type I have. It's never rusted and is sharp as the day I bought it.

http://www.amazon.com/Wiss-TC5-Industrial-Thread-Nippers/dp/B000VYND68/ref=pd_bxgy_hi_img_b

31U0P5nl8vL._SS500_.jpg

MoeBudz^420

Veteran
and spring loaded pruning shears for the woody main stem...

I just usually use my knife for that part, a Gerber Gator. I figured it was more about the trimming part, as you can harvest the plants with almost any sharp cutting tool - clippers, saw (for those monsters), knife or machete etc...

Peace

T

TrichyTrichy

I moonshine/Everclear to dip the scissors... when the alcohol evaporates the thc goodness is left.

C

CannabisSativa

Are those teflon coated/anti-stick scissors any good? I use regular scissors and its hard to open once they get full of resin..so I have to clean em with alcohol..pain in the fuckin ass!

MoeBudz^420: Man those look awesome...I think I may pick up a few of them if I find a good deal on them. Are they "anti-stick" as well?

BudGood

"Be shapeless, formless, like water..."
Veteran
I have to echo, Fiskars are the shit. I have about 10 pair, when one gets gunked up, put it down and grab a fresh pair. When they're all gunked up, whip out a razor, scrape em and have a nice big ball of scissor hash! :woohoo:

KnuckleHedd

The past 18 years, I've used small "nippers" like GR8 pictured above. Scissors wear my hand out after a few hours and the long blades work against you. I don't like blades longer 5/8 inch. There's no need for a longer reach. My buddy uses longer blades/ scissors, but his weed is "Buds on a Stick." He gets more weight that way.

keylime

wetting the buds before trimming

wetting the buds before trimming

I use the fiskar spring loaded scissors.... and I dip the part of plant I'm about to trim in some cold water. Seems to help a lot in keeping the sticky off the hands as well as the scissors.

keylime

Lil 'o Me

Farm hand
Veteran
I use the fiskar spring loaded scissors.... and I dip the part of plant I'm about to trim in some cold water. Seems to help a lot in keeping the sticky off the hands as well as the scissors.

keylime

Hmmmmm.... I wouldn't have thought to dip them in cold water. I just wear gloves and scrape the scissors with a razor blade to collect the yummy scissor hash.

og kush

chainsaw, hammer, and blow tourches mostly. ;)

naw, anything with a good spring in it. every harvest its anywhere from 16 hours to 2 full days of trimming. so.... the less you can use your hands, the better.

og kush

keylime

ummm, i will glady go over there and scrape the "sticky" stuff off of our scissors. LOL
Its the best smoke in the world man! what r u thinking?!

Lil 'o Me

Farm hand
Veteran
ummm, i will glady go over there and scrape the "sticky" stuff off of our scissors. LOL
Its the best smoke in the world man! what r u thinking?!

Yea, thats what I was thinking.... So the isht is sticky..... I like sticky! I'll take all the sticky I can have!!! If you dont like sticky..... well, your just nuts! :crazy:

John Allen

I have used fiskars for years, also the newer titanium nitride coated ones (stays nice and sharp longer).
But my favorite are the ones made by Hydrofarm, long and thin blades that work really well (esp. dry trimming), and the handles are a bit bigger/heavier then the fiskars and IMO I can last longer between pruner switches.

image.php

ps- can also be had for 10-12 dollars, so they aren't much more expensive then fiskars.

schwilly

Old thread

Anyways, I think fiskars micro tips are the standard

I cut out part of the spring, stretch it back to near original length, and then bend the cut tip of the spring so it can be reattached

The spring now has less resistance, and it's a little easier on your hand. Which is nice

Latest posts

Latest posts