What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

What strain for a guerilla grow in a cornfield?

Gunnarguchi

ICMag Donor
Veteran
farmaz2 said:
Hindu Killer, I think your right, sensi star & others will not finish here above 52 degrees, nor will the corn. Most of those strains will finish at the same time that corn is combine ripe. Maize (corn) will not ripen either here, at latitudes above france, most maize is cut for forage (silage) & is cut green in oct. Most seed companies overstate finishing times I would guess by a month. Paradise seeds sensi star would finish here mid late november, even Rox that they say is mid september, struggles to finish in N Europe beginning Nov, which makes me sad.
Early Pearl is a misnomer, if you look at sensi seedbank catalogue, you will see a lot of early strains are photoshop'd with blue sky. They all look like they have been grown inside to me. They are not the only ones guilty of this.
The best way to find what works & what doesnt is to look through the pages of this mag. I see precious little early pearl, early girl, early anything finishing outside at our latitude, from commercial seedhouses.

All that glitters is not gold.

Heres one that will finish, in a cornfield, at 53 N, 100%, and is a fine smoke.
ErocketxDP.

cheers!

Nice pix Famaz!
I love the ErocketxDP also but i think its a little to late here for use in cornfields.

Last year the farmers harvested around 1-3 of October due to heavy rain.
They normally let it go to middle of October.

I harvested my ErocketxDP from about 7-21 of October.
But i love that cross.
So sticky and potent.

Gunnarguchi

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Guerrilla Gold 2
Royal Dane
Danish passion
is strains i know would be early enough for a corngrow, but unfortunately i only have these seeds in small numbers this year.

ive been lucky to get my hands on some Early Danes by Gonzo and some thyphoon that is suppose to be very early
Cant wait to test them both in the guerilla spots and in the cornfields.
Ill keep all strains for seeds both in cornfields and guerrilla grow.
That way i should be sure to get seeds for next year somehow.

growers are more than welcome to post strains or crosses here that are sure to be finished by 1. of October.

Lucky 7 said:
I, too have had a few successful corn grows. the biggest problem I encounter is with the devilish corn borer I think most spray for these lil bastards, but their unholy march is hard to stop. . . . :bashhead:

they first appear as harmless little yellow moths/butterflies. they deposit their hellish eggs on the leaves of corn/MJ/anything in the area. the eggs hatch as worms! :puppydoge

the tiny worms bore into the stalks (late July/August) & new buds. they probably smoke okay (lol) but they are nasty little devils, higher than a freakin astronaut on your buds . . .

this season I'm planiting near the field & trying praying mantis & lady bugs. the bugs are said to eat the eggs they moths lay . . . if this doesn't work, I'll spray with worm killer (organic!)

I spent a lotto time last year picking the little worms from my precious buds! I'm sure I missed a few, but they smoked real smooth . . . :wave:

:laughing: - I packed a bowl of some outdoor I had a few months ago and when I torched my freshly packed bowl - it moved. :fsu: I thought I was just, you know, fucked up and I hit it again. That is when I saw a worm wiggle his ass around trying to get the fuck out of my bowl. :laughing:

For those of you that have grown in cornfeilds does the cornfield irrigation have knarly chemmy fertilizers in it that make your buds real harsh and taste horrible? is there anything that can be done about this?

Sometimes I grow in sugarcane feilds, the plants grow amazing its optimum growing conditions 10+ hrs direct sun very healthy/huge yeilds but the quality is horrible not even smokeable just striaght up shwag even if the genetics are good, on their website it says they pump around 300 pounds of chemical fertilizers :eek: into these feilds.

Water curing doesnt work either the buds are still too nasty.
If I could only find a way to extract the chemmy fertilizers from the irigation around my plants.

Gunnarguchi

ICMag Donor
Veteran
its a little late but ive ordered 70 Royal Danes for cornfield grows
RD is a potent and very early danish strain.
one cornfield spot will be pure seed grow, the others sensimilla

Also im planning to make a cross between RD and ErocketxDanish Passion.

Hopefully it will ad even more potency to the RD but maintaining the earliness from the RD so its still early enough for Cornfield grows.

Only next season will prove this

FlyinHawaiian said:
For those of you that have grown in cornfeilds does the cornfield irrigation have knarly chemmy fertilizers in it that make your buds real harsh and taste horrible? is there anything that can be done about this?

Sometimes I grow in sugarcane feilds, the plants grow amazing its optimum growing conditions 10+ hrs direct sun very healthy/huge yeilds but the quality is horrible not even smokeable just striaght up shwag even if the genetics are good, on their website it says they pump around 300 pounds of chemical fertilizers :eek: into these feilds.

Water curing doesnt work either the buds are still too nasty.
If I could only find a way to extract the chemmy fertilizers from the irigation around my plants.

In Denmark they also use chemicals that normally would kill the MJ, but we avoid this by keeping plants in pots until mid or end June, then plant them out after that.
Scrape the topsoil to avoid rest chemicals touching the MJ.
i think its further described earlier in this thread.

Last edited:

Gantz

Smoke weed and prosper
Veteran
flushing the ground......i wonder exactly how much water would one need if even rains couldn't accomplish that...
i'd bring my own soil and a really deep growbag with holes on the bottom...

Swamp Nug

Sorry if this info is just repeated but i didnt have time to read all the previous posts.

Basically the best strain to use in a cornfield depends when the corn is harvested! As with most scenarios.... know your location, know your strain! I have been growing in maize fields (cornfields in NZ), native forests/bush and comercial forests for about 8 years now and the cornfields are definately the most productive (but worst for security).

Corn/maize can be harvested for the grain, which means a very late harvest, enough time for any strain to mature, or while its still green for stock feed etc, which means you have about a 50/50 chance of having enough time for a early maturing strain to finish! hence the know your location! Also keep an eye out for when planted, as although all corn plants have different growth speeds and harvest times, its still a fairly good indicator of when the farmer will harvest.

Here in NZ i have narrowed down my cornfield strain to 2 variations of Hash Plant. Try new ones each year but still nothing compares, this year am going to try doc's trouble maker and NGS bonkers as they are both mold resistent 6 week maturing strains. The early-er the maturing the better really as its better to be safe than sorry when it comes to harvest dates. HP is the only strain i have found where the buds are still highly smokable at 4-5 weeks in bud, hence the use of it. Also anything with alot of kush in it would be fine in cornfields, but still not worth the change from HP for me.

As far as a sativa plant for cornfields i dont really know, i used to grow sativas in corn but just got too sick of seeing the harvester eat it. Hence the indicas, i grow sativas in the bush.

So what i would do if i was you is put as many strains as you can in as many corn fields as you can, to see when the corn is chopped and how the strains go, then use the best strain/s next year in the fields that were standing long enough to produce buds!

Swamp Nug

I just read the posts about fert....

I found that if you use/feed your plants atleast once pref more in the later stages of the plants growth, with some strong organic fert it sweetens up the taste of the plant and you wont notice the industrial type fert already in the ground, the plant will usually have used all the fert in the ground by then any way.

An advantage of the fert already in the ground is that the soil will already be ph netural, as the ground is soil tested and the base fert application is customised to the soil tests to result in the perfectly balanced soil.

So if go easy on the pot ash (towards the end) this wont be a problem.

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
where can I find danish outdoor strains seeds. i'm in the quest for some good outdoor strains. any seedshop selling them?

this thread is very usefull. thanks all for sharing your ideas and methods. :wave:

Gunnarguchi

ICMag Donor
Veteran
exploziv_gbb said:
where can I find danish outdoor strains seeds. i'm in the quest for some good outdoor strains. any seedshop selling them?

this thread is very usefull. thanks all for sharing your ideas and methods. :wave:

Like Gantz said.
try paging some of the Danish growers as theres as of yet no really good way for ppl outside Denmark or the EU to enjoy the strains we have here.

some seedbanks ans shops here sell to Denmark only, others the the EU only and most of them only have a few strains and crosses.

this is hopefully to change soon.

Esbe, a very skilled Danish grower, joined the HTC and therefore should be able to supply Nordic genetics via HTC soon..

Also if my own guerrilla spots in corn and forest goes well i should be able to spread some Nordic genes via Seedbay shortly after harvest.

Afghan Nordic Outdoor
Danish Passion
Lebanon27
Royal Dane

im also testing a cross of my own designed for Nordic guerrilla in corn containing danish and Swizz genetics and some local early strains.
last mentioned needs further testing before released on Seedbay, but so far they seem promising.

they will be sold at very fair prices to help spread the Nordic gene pole all over the world

Gunnarguchi

ICMag Donor
Veteran
heres Field of Lebanese ( lebanon 27 aka leb27) 14 plants or so
i ran out of pellet fertilizer in the Afghan forest spot, so these where only given fertilized water.

img0241xnf2.jpg

a tip on guerrilla spots in corn
be very careful to find a spot that marks the direction into the spot and count the rows, otherwise the can be damn tricky and time consuming to find again :)

K

kallenavndk

Gunnar the champ Awesome bro awesome you make me proud of being a dane m8

"when them cornfield goes rotten you can pick very much weed" jhonny Cash style :jump:

Last edited:

Barefoot

ICMag Donor
phrank said:
Please don't laugh, but do you plant at night or during the day? It seems that you'd be too visible planting during the day if the corn was knee high or shorter..?

phrank

This would be very interesting! plz answer...

I also want to know how you dung your plants in the cornfield. I bought some compact fertilizer (for veggie guano peru and flower bat guano).
What about soil mixes? Only perlite or also e.g. organic stuff?

I've also read your disscussion about early strains. I grow 48°north and these were my earliest strains (harvest latest mid. sept): Easy Sativa, Mandala#1, Lebanese (bluehemp)

Next year I also want to grow in a cornfield with Maroc. I just read a post from supersonic about the maroc.
So a question: How is the growth when they are in flower? I mean how tall do they grow till harvest?

I know my english is bad, but maybe you can discover the meaning...

supersonic

hey barefoot, if you're asking about maroc...

Maroc is not a big plant, at least not for me. It gains some height in flowering but not much. I have always have a plant with stem half empty of leaves that in the end only build some 20-30cm headbud at 150cm height or lower and it has always only 2 branches. Don't know why the bitches won't branch out as I plant them early enough and some recieve full day sun and good care. Other plants can become 250cm high bushes in same time. for me it yields about 30g of highly resinous and stinky bud. Good, strong enough stuff. Very easy plant to grow, doesn't need much food and in my opinion excelent plant for stealth cornfield growing or even urban guerilla... It begins to flower very early so it takes advantage of strong sun. this year I took it at 62days of flowering, before mid september. I'll post some pics when it is dry. It withstand a hail that falls once in 50+ years (hope that it is not becoming a yearly happening) so it should also be a hardy plant but on the other hand mold sensitive.

here some shot of maroc '07, I expect it this year to be more resinous than in this pic

all the best..

Barefoot

ICMag Donor
Thanks for infos supersonic!

Well I think I buy only 5 seeds from Maroc and also put some other strains (maybe Libanon from zen seeds and Easy Sativa) outdoor.

Maybe another one can answer my questions in the last post ;)

Edit: @supersonic: is that right: your plants 150cm height and only 30g

Last edited:

supersonic

barefoot,

yeah that is right, in my case most of them have 3/4 empty, naked stem and only nice headbud at the top so I get about 30. You can get the same weight with smaler plants. mine marocs never want to make some real branches...don't know why...