What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

What makes a strain "sour" and others.

BagseedSamurai

Hi! :wave:
I was just wondering. What is it exactly that makes a strain "sour"? Sour Deisel, Sour Kush, Sour Bubble. Is it the smell, or a specific type of lineage like Kush? For that matter, what makes a strain "OG"?

I

Iron_Lion

I've been making making and smoking my own sour and OG crosses over the last year or so, and what I noticed is that when you're smoking a J your mouth starts watering like you've been eating sour candy. And it's got a pungent flavor that coats your whole mouth and lingers for a while after smoking.

Sour Kush and Sour Bubble get their name because one of the parents was a Sour Diesel.

G

Guest3498

Just smoked a bowl of sour larry... got a biting sour taste in my whole mouth :joint:

Zdub7k

Well to answer the first part of your question, both. Genetics aka lineage (all the sours come from chem 91' it seems) determine what the plant will smell like. The sour smell is that really fuely funky almost rotten at times pungent odor (similar to that of sour milk). OG is a specific strain of cannabis, that is known for its sour funky smell that is very distinct. There are many dif cuts and lines of OG out there now, But all of them are family to the original Chemdawg. Sour Diesel is a cousin of OG, that came about when a skunk plant hermied and hit the Chemdawg 91'. Hope that helps.

TickleMyBalls

just don't molest my colas..
Veteran
usually the genes. Most crosses labeled sour anything most likely have sour diesel in it. Anyone who names a strain sour that doesn't have SD in it is an asshole. Crosses that have OG in the name usually have an OG in the genes, it's a pretty simple concept...

TickleMyBalls

Veteran
Cause it's generally known by most people that sour being in the name is indicative of sour diesel being in the genetics. Someone naming a strain sour when there isn't SD in it is like a bait and switch. Trying to capitalize off of the popularity of the name. People hear sour and attach characteristics that should be present, and then are upset if they aren't there. Wouldn't be an issue if the strain wasn't improperly named sour..

BagseedSamurai

Cause it's generally known by most people that sour being in the name is indicative of sour diesel being in the genetics. Someone naming a strain sour when there isn't SD in it is like a bait and switch. Trying to capitalize off of the popularity of the name. People hear sour and attach characteristics that should be present, and then are upset if they aren't there. Wouldn't be an issue if the strain wasn't improperly named sour..

When I think sour, I don't automatically think Sour D.

Zdub7k

me neither as there are other strains that are sour with no Sour Diesel in the lineage. I do however think Chem 91'

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
When I think sour, I don't automatically think Sour D.

Me neither.

Sour is a perfectly acceptable descriptor and SD doesn't have a lock or patent on the sour name.

SD may be a good strain but it's not "All That" enough to require a sense of reverence when speaking of it. And if someone is naming their strain "Sour" for marketing purposes... they have more issues than I care to deal with and their resulting product will most likely show it.

IMO SD should have been called "Diesel Fuel" since that's a whole lot closer to a description of the taste than "sour".

Stay Safe! :blowbubbles:

TickleMyBalls

Veteran
me neither as there are other strains that are sour with no Sour Diesel in the lineage. I do however think Chem 91'

Same genes. You're just going back to the base mom. proving my point, if it doesn't have the chem/sour d characteristics present, don't name it sour. People expect something pretty specific when a strain has sour in the name, period.

Kant C Shyt

Veteran
Hey BS, GS was right its the terpenes. Also Sour Bubble is not related to Sour Diesel in anyway plus BOG is not an asshole for calling his sour tasting and sour smelling bubblegum Sour Bubble. All strains that are sour or have sour in the name does not make them Sour D crosses. Just a few things I thought i'd clear up real quick. Take care 1

I

Iron_Lion

BOG is one of those breeders that just throws random words into strain names for the hell of it.

Look at Sour Strawberry Kush and Blue Kush, neither have any Kush in them.

TickleMyBalls

Veteran
Hey BS, GS was right its the terpenes. Also Sour Bubble is not related to Sour Diesel in anyway plus BOG is not an asshole for calling his sour tasting and sour smelling bubblegum Sour Bubble. All strains that are sour or have sour in the name does not make them Sour D crosses. Just a few things I thought i'd clear up real quick. Take care 1

Duh. It's the terpenes, if you want to get technical. But it's terpenes that are related to the chem line, which produced sour diesel. Everyone is agreeing with me. Double check my posts, I said most times, I never said always. And yes I think BOG is an asshole for just throwing names out there. I liked when his names reflected the genes back in the day.

And if you guys want to get real technical, the sour is a phenotypical expression that certain plants display, mostly when they are offspring of the Chem line. I have the original sour D clone that Rez used to breed with. I have grown two plants side by side and due to some minute stress one plant underwent, they turned out completely different. The good pheno is sour with round nugs. The one that was stressed was diesel fuel and long skinny nugs. The sour one was actually the mother plant that the fuel clone came from.. So yeah to be nit picky, terpenes regularly associated with a phenotypical expression of plants from the chem line. Nerds....

BagseedSamurai

Tickle: It sounds to me like you have loyalties to specific strains or breeders and expect others to follow suit. Terpenes are not a technicality, terpenes are the reason for the season. I do not have to check with Rez or pay homage to his bagseed plants just because I use the word sour in a strain name. Sorry to burst your (sour) bubble.

yoss33

Veteran
"Sour" is too common as characteristic of different strains and can't be reserved for one strain and its crosses. It's not like "widow", which hadn't been used for cannabis before the naming of White Widow.
I find a lot of sour in Thai, Haze and Haze hybrids like NL x Haze.

mowood3479

Veteran
i just wasted five min of my life reading this thread.... and another ten seconds typing this. ahh well... just buckets in the ocean of my wasted life:)

Latest posts

Latest posts