What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

What makes a strain "sour" and others.

G

Guest 150314

i am not the one patronizing anyone your the one sending me negative rep.

my post sour bubble = bubba kush was a response to the post above mine by iron lion
BOG is one of those breeders that just throws random words into strain names for the hell of it.

Look at Sour Strawberry Kush and Blue Kush, neither have any Kush in them.

i dont care for the negativity and screw your ego "ive been here longer than you have" CHILL

GET MO

Registered Med User
Veteran
OG originally was short for Ocean Grown, as the buds were grown in norcal close to the ocean. Not original gangsta, not organically grown.

GET MO

Registered Med User
Veteran
Wuts funny is, that I bet a lot of BOGs genetics have kush, that is are originating from the hindu kush mountain range, where a whole LOT of indicas have lineage from. Pakistani Chitral kush is as kush as they come, but it has no california kush in it, so it will throw off those thinking they were tasting some kush, then they say "thats not KUSH!" when in reality its more kush then the kush mixed with sativa hybred the average smoker considers KUSH.

señorsloth

Veteran
ive never tasted the "sour" in buds when i'm told i'm smoking sour diesel, but i did have a pheno in my chemdog ibl, it had huge calyxes, covered in huge ginourmous trichomes, but it didn't form colas, it just foxtailed all over the place, i let it go wich i regret because it was very unique, it had no smell or taste at all, except for this super strong sour taste, as if somebody found a way to extract all the lemon taste from a lemon and leave just the sour behind, no hint of any citrus or sweetness...just lip puckering sour...i called it my sour kush pheno because i believed it looked like the "hk" pheno people talk about with that strain.

G.O. Joe

Veteran
It might be rash to ascribe any special flavor/odor to terpenes. We don't even know what makes Blueberry blueberry. Those with GC/MS strain analysis tend to not share them, or not know enough that that tiny little peak is big to our senses, and smells blueberry.

Essential oil of Skunk has been posted in the lit., with the terpenes quantified, and also the full headspace volatiles of Sensi's NL and Hawaiian Indica, and I think that is all. It was no surprise IMHO to find in the NL unique non-terpenes, which may be exceptionally powerful even in sub-ppb concentration.

Does anyone here breed without some weird exoticness not so present 30 years ago? You have no idea what is happening, without actual science.

A database definitely needs to be made but I do not think there is enough altruism for this to happen.

Fuzz420

Ganja Smoker Extraordinaire
Veteran
Sour Turbo (DSD v3 x Sour Diesel 2.5 )

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Bluenote

usually the genes. Most crosses labeled sour anything most likely have sour diesel in it. Anyone who names a strain sour that doesn't have SD in it is an asshole. Crosses that have OG in the name usually have an OG in the genes, it's a pretty simple concept...

You are aware are you not that the sour taste didn't begin with Sour Diesel are you not? I's merely a combination of terpenes and terpinoids that could be arrived at again Furthermore it will soon become possible to feed to exacerbate the production of specific terpene profiles and from to specific terpenes connected with flavor and certain other aspects of the plant .

I'd say that your criteria for adjudicating someone as an asshole in the above is a bit thin and shortsighted.

Bluenote

No, not obsessed with. There is a difference between an individual being obsessed with a strain, and the widespread popularity of sour diesel and chemdawg and the effect that this particular gene line has had on the world wide cannabis scene for the last 10 years.

Because of this impact, people slap sour on any strain looking to capitalize on the popularity of sour d, thus making them an asshole. I stand by my statement.

I love the two different quotes out of context too.. Classy. Luckily people don't have to look far to see what goes where you put all the ......

You put forth a logical fallacy of a judgemental nature and then you'll attempt the out of context ploy?

You made a specifically oriented blanket generalisation , an erroneous one. That is in and of itself an accomplishment , that said further defense of said erroneous and judgemental stance only makes you look increasingly silly.

The end result of attitudes such as yours , and we *are* moving towards such things as an industry , will inevitably be trademarking and copyrighting of names as the industry expands.

Are we now to follow some arbitrary naming/branding convention as set into place by some nebulous entity on the 'Webz who has deemed themselves arbiter of such things?

Last edited by a moderator:

supermanlives

Veteran
sour bubble 4 aint sour at all. its mocha flavored. even with open pollination none of the ooffspring are sour either. can i get my money back please?

Last edited:

TickleMyBalls

just don't molest my colas..
Veteran
Will somebody please show me an example of a strain being called sour and/or described as sour before sour diesel? Come on, you have the whole Internet at your disposal. Show me an archived post or old cannabis culture or high times article...

Oh wait, you can't cause nothing was named sour until sour diesel. And nothing else got that name until after '05/'06 when sour diesel became popular.

Everyone likes to flex their intellect and show how good they are at debating, but no one has brought up an example of a strain existing AND being labeled sour before the diesel.

Bluenote

Will somebody please show me an example of a strain being called sour and/or described as sour before sour diesel? Come on, you have the whole Internet at your disposal. Show me an archived post or old cannabis culture or high times article...

Oh wait, you can't cause nothing was named sour until sour diesel. And nothing else got that name until after '05/'06 when sour diesel became popular.

Everyone likes to flex their intellect and show how good they are at debating, but no one has brought up an example of a strain existing AND being labeled sour before the diesel.

It would rather seem that you're the one attempting to flex here. And of course you utilise yet another simplistic logical fallacy in yet another attempt ( in vain I might add) to defend your point.

All while missing the primary point , that being that the genetics behind the sour strains existed long prior to the Diesel strains , along with the corollary fact that there were combinations *prior* to diesel that " tasted sour" and that todays there are combinations of genes *without* SD in the pedigree that " taste sour".

If you really wish to play the definition and usage game then I will remind you that Webster's doesn't list the term sour as being synonmous with the word diesel.

Now why don't we just dispense with the obfuscation here , I rather doubt that many folks have a problem with your basic opinion that quite a lot of " Sours" are Diesel based , that fact is almost inargueable , that said labeling everyone utilised the word " Sour" in a non SD derivative as an "asshole" was a bit offputting don't you think?

For the record , I hazard a guess that you're partially gnashing your teeth at all the fad names and the like , if that's so please keep in mind that there are those of us who share your sentiments rather wholeheartedly on that issue.

yoss33

Veteran

Yes, you are right, there is no "sour" in the names of the most popular old strains. That is because old strains weren't called by the taste.
Haze (if you've heard of it) is sour enough, but taste is so insignificant compared to its high, that it's just not worth putting in the name.
Sour Diesel doesn't have much to offer other than its taste, so they called it "sour" :laughing: I'm kidding here but hope you get the point...

Bluenote

sour is the taste in your mouth after overpaying for anything labeled sour

I agree , but on the other hand i must say that there have been some hellaciously nice bud photos posted within this thread. I take my hat off to those folks.

And as I've pointed out elsewhere , the fads are just one of the "growing" pains of a "seedling" industry , we can't all be "clones" of one another as growers.

Because after all ...Sometimes you feel like a Kush......And sometimes you don't.

( please direct pun-ishment spitballs at pictures of apropriate poliTICKal figures.................heheheheh )

I

Iron_Lion

If you look at the recorded lineage of the 2 most sour stinky strains, ECSD and OG Kush the common thread is the chem 91. That's gotta be where the super stink and sour flavor comes from.

• 'OG Kush' (the original cut) came from an s1 from in a bag of '91 Chemdawg in the Lake Tahoe area in 1996.
• 'Sour Diesel' aka ECSD came from an accidental cross of ('91 Chemdawg x Mass Super Skunk/NL)x DNL after the DNL hermed and seeded the room. The DNL's lineage is NL/Shiva x Hawaiian
• Original Diesel' (also known as Diesel #1, Headband, Daywrecker Diesel, Underdawg) came from a cross of '91 Chemdawg x (Mass Super Skunk x Sensi's Northern Lights)