What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

What leads to fewer thicker branches?

Hiddenjems

You’re going to cull the smaller branches before they start growing flowers.

Also, it’s possible to get more light to flowering plants indoor than out 99% of the time. For one the sun isn’t as bright in September as it is in June. It’s also not full intensity for all 12 hours.

lilnug420

Lilnug420, One seed will give you more production than any technique you will ever employ. I still challenge you that your goals are wrong. Post a picture of your grow tent, box. You are putting the 1.3 meters in stone and seemed very determined to do things a certain way. Why have you asked for help?
Peace farmerlion
i'm outdoors bro!

lilnug420

Nipping the tops, is causing bushy growth. The act of holding a plant down, makes it grow outwards.

There isn't really an answer to give you. If you want a strong frame, it's often P that will give it. However, it will be a big strong frame. If yours is weak, then P through stretch might be your answer to toughen it up. It will be bigger in all the dimensions that is was already heading though. It won't promote more branching, but what is has will be stronger. Plus taller. Which you can't hold back, without promoting a more bushy appearance.

You might need to look at plant choice.

The sun is good, but don't be fooled into thinking it's the brightest. In some locations it might make 2000ppfd, but it's only for a few hours. 1000ppfd all day long, under lights, generally totals more light per day. Or, a greater DLI, to give it it's proper term.

I think they call it mainlining... Where you nip a plant about the 6th node, to just get 6 branches. Then grow them out horizontally, using a net for support, or tying them down with tent pegs. You can probably hold them at 70cm, growing horizonally, until the start of bloom. When you will let the buds grow up from the net. In the meantime, you are cutting the side branching off of these 6 main lines. Not all of it, as some can be trained down. Non can get higher than the end of it's main line though. Or it becomes the dominant head. Changing the plants direction. All the time you are trying to spread the plant, it will be trying to establish something else as the new main head. For this reason, many people use not one, but 2 or 3 nets. The main lines can then heads out at a slight upwards angle. Keeping their heads above all others on that branch line. Keeping them dominant. The ideal angle for a mainline, is around 50 degrees from vertical. Ideal, in the fact it's easy to maintain. At 50 degree's most side branching can be allowed to head straight upwards, as it will never get ahead of the main head. As the main head climbs faster. The exact angle is very much plant specific, and still you cut off some of the side branching. It it's just side by side, and smothered.
yep! Mainlining is what i'm looking for! i'm gonna learn more about this technique, i'm just scared too cut off too much stuff and do it wrong...

lilnug420

You are in good company. Training method conversations, are nearly always indoor topics.

I must ask, what is the 1.3m height restriction.
Fence height?
Dwarfism?
1.3m well because... guerrilla grow... i'm from Europe... sadly that's my limit and there ain't no way around it trust me!

Ca++

yep! Mainlining is what i'm looking for! i'm gonna learn more about this technique, i'm just scared too cut off too much stuff and do it wrong...
A plant can loose about 20% to grazing animals, and carry on regardless. Though I wouldn't do 20% every day, I have gone in harder. Almost halving a plant. So don't worry about a few nips here n there

Timj

Have you been cheating on us?
I bet ours was bigger and better.
I've been an active member on GC since around 2017. I've been lerking there since around 2012. I've been on here for almost as long. I just haven't posted here until recently. And yeah, everything looks bigger and better from the other side of the fence.

mr.brunch

Veteran
Genetics and root space are important- eg white rhino in buckets grew short and stocky, but in the ground spread like feck.
Maybe get a short stocky genetic and bury the buckets?

Latest posts

Latest posts