What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

What leads to fewer thicker branches?

lilnug420

so after a bit of testing, i realized that my strategy for getting fewer thicker branches isn't really working, i kept on cutting the heads off the tallest branches thinking it would cause them to grow larger as opposed to long and thin, instead now i have even more small branches...

i'm trying to get thick stems, and a less bushy plant, i already do LST and supercropping, but my plants are still extremely bushy and i don't like so. i'd like my buds to be bigger as opposed to many small buds

what other technique can i use to achieve this? i was thinking maybe cutting all the new growth would trick the plant into putting all it's energy in the already existing branches, can this be possible?

btw i'm outdoors and have a 1.3m ish height limit

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Bloom nutes for veg always gives me shorter, stockier plants. The lower nitrogen levels are mainly responsible.

An other method is supercropping, which is a regular crushing of stems to stop upward growth. The branches get thicker and the side shoots become larger/taller branches as well.

lilnug420

Bloom nutes for veg always gives me shorter, stockier plants. The lower nitrogen levels are mainly responsible.

An other method is supercropping, which is a regular crushing of stems to stop upward growth. The branches get thicker and the side shoots become larger/taller branches as well.
good advice i guess, but i'm running one part MC and i still have pounds of it... it'll last me at least for 5 years lol!

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Supercropping will give you thicker/shorter branches, and more of them as well. The lower side branches grow up taller as the supercropped section stalls in growth for a bit.

lilnug420

Nutes is the primary thing that will change the properties of your plant.
i wanna use a pk booster for flower, but MC is out so stock, how can i figure out feed ratio if i wanna use megacrop + a pk booster? i'm scared of overdoing it and getting a lockout

Thegreengrower64

so after a bit of testing, i realized that my strategy for getting fewer thicker branches isn't really working, i kept on cutting the heads off the tallest branches thinking it would cause them to grow larger as opposed to long and thin, instead now i have even more small branches...

i'm trying to get thick stems, and a less bushy plant, i already do LST and supercropping, but my plants are still extremely bushy and i don't like so. i'd like my buds to be bigger as opposed to many small buds

what other technique can i use to achieve this? i was thinking maybe cutting all the new growth would trick the plant into putting all it's energy in the already existing branches, can this be possible?

Firstly I'd start with the genetics. Research and pick a strain that's bred to be a squat plant. Another good way to keep plants squat and bushy, would be to use a bluer light spectrum whilst in veg. A mh lamp would be ideal in this circumstance. Hope this is of help 🙏.

Thegreengrower64

If you have plenty of soil and a lot of light with a long veg time you will get thicker stems. I see so many people overdo it with fertilizers.
I equate fertilisers as we humans do with, ' vitamin supplements '. Plant food = light and co2. The fertilisers we use ; supplements.
As you, I see so many growers putting to much faith in their fertiliser line.

farmerlion

Microbial Repositories
Premium user
Mentor
Veteran
420club

Lilnug420, you are looking at most things wrong and getting poor feedback.
Please go to the advanced Sciences and growing forum and read the information I have posted. My thread is called Making Marijuana Great Again. There's no tricking plants into anything...Especially in a natural light environment. Your plant knows more about what it needs than you ever will. Just because you wasted money on 50 pounds of crappy chemicals doesn't mean anything is ever going to improve by using them? Just accept the fact you wasted money.

Is cannabis somehow better because of a thick stalk? Absolutely not! Why is that even a nothion of thought? For the money and time you are wasting searching and trying gimmicks of Stoner Logic you could build a taller fence.

Super cropping is a major no no for outside growers, I strongly recommend against it for inside growers. There's to many variables with timing. New growers try to incorporate nutes, techniques wives tails, stoner logic without pursuing any actual knowledge of how plants work. Just because you smoke a bunch of cannabis and have a friends neighbors dads cousin guy he works with knew a dude and he says I should???????? Skip all that nonsense lilnug420, please for the sake of your growing experience and learning curve. Before implementing anything make sure you're not getting advice from a hydroponics grower and what works in his environment.

Techniques outside of ideal normal conditions being magnified, Stunt Growth of plants while your plants try to adjust to a foreign influence. (Foreign Influences detract from a normal healthy growing cycle).
Indoor grows rarely have the amount of light intensity needed to properly grow cannabis. When you introduce negative concepts like intentionally damaging your plants. They don't need more negative influences added to overcome the first setback. (Chemicals, pesticides, herbicides, hormone enhancers or the over abundance of crap growers purchased and now feel compelled to finish using).

Your plants won't produce more leaves than what they need in the environment that they are in. There is some genetic influences that contribute to the plants phenotypic expressions. These are quickly overridden by poor choices of the growers.
Lilnug420 please spend time reading what I've already shared in this community. It will save you years of frustrating experience gathering knowledge.

I have done side by side tests on topping plants and the truth about what is lost and gained isn't worth the risk if done in the wrong time frame.
Have a wonderful day, I'm not here to piss on your parade. You were already doing that yourself. I would like to show you a better way.
Peace brother
farmerlion

lilnug420

Lilnug420, you are looking at most things wrong and getting poor feedback.
Please go to the advanced Sciences and growing forum and read the information I have posted. My thread is called Making Marijuana Great Again. There's no tricking plants into anything...Especially in a natural light environment. Your plant knows more about what it needs than you ever will. Just because you wasted money on 50 pounds of crappy chemicals doesn't mean anything is ever going to improve by using them? Just accept the fact you wasted money.

Is cannabis somehow better because of a thick stalk? Absolutely not! Why is that even a nothion of thought? For the money and time you are wasting searching and trying gimmicks of Stoner Logic you could build a taller fence.

Super cropping is a major no no for outside growers, I strongly recommend against it for inside growers. There's to many variables with timing. New growers try to incorporate nutes, techniques wives tails, stoner logic without pursuing any actual knowledge of how plants work. Just because you smoke a bunch of cannabis and have a friends neighbors dads cousin guy he works with knew a dude and he says I should???????? Skip all that nonsense lilnug420, please for the sake of your growing experience and learning curve. Before implementing anything make sure you're not getting advice from a hydroponics grower and what works in his environment.

Techniques outside of ideal normal conditions being magnified, Stunt Growth of plants while your plants try to adjust to a foreign influence. (Foreign Influences detract from a normal healthy growing cycle).
Indoor grows rarely have the amount of light intensity needed to properly grow cannabis. When you introduce negative concepts like intentionally damaging your plants. They don't need more negative influences added to overcome the first setback. (Chemicals, pesticides, herbicides, hormone enhancers or the over abundance of crap growers purchased and now feel compelled to finish using).

Your plants won't produce more leaves than what they need in the environment that they are in. There is some genetic influences that contribute to the plants phenotypic expressions. These are quickly overridden by poor choices of the growers.
Lilnug420 please spend time reading what I've already shared in this community. It will save you years of frustrating experience gathering knowledge.

I have done side by side tests on topping plants and the truth about what is lost and gained isn't worth the risk if done in the wrong time frame.
Have a wonderful day, I'm not here to piss on your parade. You were already doing that yourself. I would like to show you a better way.
Peace brother
farmerlion
i think you're misunderstanding what i'm trying to do.

i'm limited in height (1.3m) what i usually did is LST/super cropping/ topping to keep the plant low and wide. issue is i always end up with such bushy plant they're hard to work with.

what i'm trying to achieve is, instead of having a lot of small/medium buds, i wanna have less branches, thus bigger buds. making it much easier to move/take care of the plant/ see potential pests or budrot. i just wanna make sure i'm going the right way about it so yield isn't affected

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
i think you're misunderstanding what i'm trying to do.

i'm limited in height (1.3m) what i usually did is LST/super cropping/ topping to keep the plant low and wide. issue is i always end up with such bushy plant they're hard to work with.

what i'm trying to achieve is, instead of having a lot of small/medium buds, i wanna have less branches, thus bigger buds. making it much easier to move/take care of the plant/ see potential pests or budrot. i just wanna make sure i'm going the right way about it so yield isn't affected
Strong lighting friend.

farmerlion

Microbial Repositories
Premium user
Mentor
Veteran
420club
Lilnug420, One seed will give you more production than any technique you will ever employ. I still challenge you that your goals are wrong. Post a picture of your grow tent, box. You are putting the 1.3 meters in stone and seemed very determined to do things a certain way. Why have you asked for help?
Peace farmerlion

Ca++

Nipping the tops, is causing bushy growth. The act of holding a plant down, makes it grow outwards.

There isn't really an answer to give you. If you want a strong frame, it's often P that will give it. However, it will be a big strong frame. If yours is weak, then P through stretch might be your answer to toughen it up. It will be bigger in all the dimensions that is was already heading though. It won't promote more branching, but what is has will be stronger. Plus taller. Which you can't hold back, without promoting a more bushy appearance.

You might need to look at plant choice.

The sun is good, but don't be fooled into thinking it's the brightest. In some locations it might make 2000ppfd, but it's only for a few hours. 1000ppfd all day long, under lights, generally totals more light per day. Or, a greater DLI, to give it it's proper term.

I think they call it mainlining... Where you nip a plant about the 6th node, to just get 6 branches. Then grow them out horizontally, using a net for support, or tying them down with tent pegs. You can probably hold them at 70cm, growing horizonally, until the start of bloom. When you will let the buds grow up from the net. In the meantime, you are cutting the side branching off of these 6 main lines. Not all of it, as some can be trained down. Non can get higher than the end of it's main line though. Or it becomes the dominant head. Changing the plants direction. All the time you are trying to spread the plant, it will be trying to establish something else as the new main head. For this reason, many people use not one, but 2 or 3 nets. The main lines can then heads out at a slight upwards angle. Keeping their heads above all others on that branch line. Keeping them dominant. The ideal angle for a mainline, is around 50 degrees from vertical. Ideal, in the fact it's easy to maintain. At 50 degree's most side branching can be allowed to head straight upwards, as it will never get ahead of the main head. As the main head climbs faster. The exact angle is very much plant specific, and still you cut off some of the side branching. It it's just side by side, and smothered.

Latest posts

Latest posts