What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

What is your lighting history?

CharlesU Farley

"what's your lighting history?"

Off and on!

I've used CFL, MH, HPS, CMH, and LED, now LED+incandescent. all DIY except for when I used sunlight supply DE HPS fixtures for 5 years
Off and on... I fucking love it!

I've lived for 35+ years with a woman who is so fucking literal (you just would not understand), that's exactly how she would have responded. 🤣

Jellyfish

Invertebrata Inebriata
Veteran
winner@420giveaway
I started with CFL's, and had good success with them.

I tried an HPS bulb, but in my (at that time) closet grow, it was a bitch keeping temps down.

I messed with LED's for a couple years, but I never got them dialed in to the point where they did better than CFL's. I swear it's true!

I went back to CFL's and my yield again increased. It even exceeded previous yields, because of all the stuff I learned while trying to dial in LED's.

FWIW, my growing method was in tents using Hempy buckets, with the original perlite/vermiculite medium. General Hydroponics nutrients in R/O water.

I'm not growing currently, but if/when I get back to it, I will for sure be firing up the CFL's!

weedemart

sun
mh
hps
led

led doesnt make plant more hungry for calcium. when stomata are close plant water uptake reduce and calcium depend on water uptake. If you have a high pffd environnement with very low vpd, plant start yellowing. not because theres a shortage of calcium but it's uptake is restricted

if you have high pffd environnement with high vpd,plant transpiration increase, water uptake increase and calcium as well and they become more hungry for calcium.

EC have an impact on calcium uptake as well, calcium uptake increase with low-moderate EC and start decreasing as EC increase.

It's all about balanced vpd in function of environnement. a good window for environnement is 40%-65% humidity , 20-26celcius.

Last edited:

Mr.NotSoFast

Sun
HPS,MH
Fluorescent tube
Old school rainbow color led ( shitty as hell, reson I have not yet used modern leds)
CMH (my favourite For quality)

Heated old school led seller so much that I decided to make my own DIY led. Let's see how this go

Attachments

• 20240318_004931.JPG
    20240318_004931.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 27
Last edited:

CharlesU Farley

It's all about balanced vpd in function of environnement. a good window for environnement is 40%-65% humidity , 20-26celcius.
While I do strive to try to provide a good environment for my plants inside the tent, it is always been my philosophy that the plants have to adapt and thrive in the environment that they are in, and it doesn't have to be perfect.

But I try to give them as much light and circulating wind as possible, and as long as I've prepared my soil correctly, I don't have a need to measure anything.

CharlesU Farley

Sun
HPS,MH
Fluorescent tube
Old school rainbow color led ( shitty as hell, reson I have not yet used modern leds)
CMH (my favourite For quality)

Heated old school led seller so much that I decided to make my own DIY led. Let's see how this go
CMH is technology I'm not really familiar with. I think it became popular during my internet absence from 2001 - 2012. But until I switched to LED, regular MH was my absolute favorite.

Sometimes during the winter, with the tents in the basement, I do think about firing up the old MH, just for a heat source. :LOL:

Abdthi1966

Premium user
Sun, florescent, cfl, HPS/MH and then a ten year break moved to LEDs hated them and then moved back to HPS/MH. Personally, Instead of lowering my electric by switching lights, I’m just shooting for supplementing with solar one if the days.

I think Leds scientifically should work better than HPS but the reality of how cheaply they’re made doesn’t live up to the hype. Either that or the lack of uva, uvb and ubc might be the difference. Yea, they’re a little nutty in that thread on this topic.

Rocket Soul

Sun, florescent, cfl, HPS/MH and then a ten year break moved to LEDs hated them and then moved back to HPS/MH. Personally, Instead of lowering my electric by switching lights, I’m just shooting for supplementing with solar one if the days.

I think Leds scientifically should work better than HPS but the reality of how cheaply they’re made doesn’t live up to the hype. Either that or the lack of uva, uvb and ubc might be the difference. Yea, they’re a little nutty in that thread on this topic.
I think youre on to something; even with the poor blue/violet/ultraviolet output of HPS if you zoom in on the spectrum theres always at least something there, even if minimal, while standard leds hace 0 output at less then 420nm.

Abdthi1966

Premium user
I think youre on to something; even with the poor blue/violet/ultraviolet output of HPS if you zoom in on the spectrum theres always at least something there, even if minimal, while standard leds hace 0 output at less then 420nm.
That what it seemed like to me and then I considered utilising a bunch of ad ons but at the end of the day it seemed simplistic to just go back to HPS. I’ve been looking into supplemental solar setups and for under 3,000 grand a diy kit could run two thousand watt hps and some accessories

CharlesU Farley

That what it seemed like to me and then I considered utilising a bunch of ad ons but at the end of the day it seemed simplistic to just go back to HPS. I’ve been looking into supplemental solar setups and for under 3,000 grand a diy kit could run two thousand watt hps and some accessories
I briefly looked into solar for powering an LED, but the combo of replacing the batteries every 3-5 years and the fact that where I am here in the mountains, it is not uncommon to go 4-5 days with absolutely no sun whatsoever. Just wasn't enough bang for the buck for my situation.

Abdthi1966

Premium user
I briefly looked into solar for powering an LED, but the combo of replacing the batteries every 3-5 years and the fact that where I am here in the mountains, it is not uncommon to go 4-5 days with absolutely no sun whatsoever. Just wasn't enough bang for the buck for my situation.
Yea it would prob depend on where your at and how much overall power you were eventually wanting to generate.

Jellyfish

Invertebrata Inebriata
Veteran
winner@420giveaway
Over 100,000 sold and not a single one returned!! Amazon would love that shit. :LOL: You know, "the double the growth rate of my plants" since it's _guaranteed_ sounds intriguing? I might give this a shot! :ROFLMAO:
It actually says 'Triple'. That ad reminds me of the ads for Sea Monkeys on the back covers of comics when I was a kid. That was a real disappointment too!

mr.brunch

Veteran
Started with 400w hps, which were very expensive in the late 80s in uk so I have to confess a couple of systems may have been liberated from discreet streetlights…
Then I discovered the vast lumen increase on a 600w and was sold on them for a good few years, magnetic of course- then tried a digital version (which should be marked disposable for the time it lasted) but quickly back to a mag one.
Tried a few small leds and was very surprised, so am currently using a 480w Mars fce-4800 , mainly due to electricity costs, but I have my nearly new 600hps on standby for when the led dies.

On balance I prefer hps growing but that may be because it’s what I’m most used to

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I would have stayed with CMH but I needed to cut back on power usage. I love CMH. My veg room is 100% CMH. I def see issues since I swapped out some CMH to LED. I get tip burn, and yellowing. The quality hasn't declined.

Latest posts

Latest posts