What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

What is your lighting history?

CharlesU Farley

I've been following the LED and Bud Quality thread for a while now and even an old geezer like me can't believe growers are still debating this topic. With various participants slamming their dicks/clits down, saying either LEDs suck or they're the best, I thought it might be a good idea to see just what various growers have used in the past, what you're using now, and what you think your next light will be.

My first grow light was a 4 ft Gro-Lux fluorescent tube fixture, bought in 1979. The seedlings are from the occasional seeds I would get from Jamaican sinse, smuggled into the U.S. for the Zion Coptic Church. Never got 'em to flower, not enough juice with with fluorescent and I was scoring great bags at cost, so the grow was based more on curiosity than need:

first_growroom.jpg

Photo developed in Miami at Fotomat, when the War on Drugs didn't include cannabis. o_O

Moved to the mountains, started gorilla growing outside, got divorced/vindictive wife, so had to move inside. Bought this light in 1987, for a 5 by 2 grow closet. A 1 KW MH from Midwest Supplies out of Ann Arbor, from a High Times ad. Big fucking mistake, read about Operation Green Merchant. One of the few companies that didn't rat out their customers. I could debate MH vs. HPS with anyone, for my situation. I tamed those Jamaican Type I/Type II hybrids with this monster:

kw_mh.jpg

Obviously, heat, humidity and airflow were a challenge in a 10 sq. ft closest but after a bunch of fuckups when I first began, I started hitting my groove. Power bills, specifically paying them, could be a problem so when LEDs first appeared, I was intrigued and investigated. Got this light, a G8LED (140 watts at the wall) for $320 USD in 2013 and utilized another closet to start seedlings for a proof of concept, to see if it would work in my situation. For seedlings and early vegging, it was great:

PXL_20240122_192307564.jpg

I never bought into the "replaces a 400w HPS" hype but the seedlings thrived, so I decided to go all in. Decided to use the G8LED for spouts and seedlings in a small closet and use two of these in the 2 x 5 closet:

PXL_20240122_192443103.jpg

So I replaced a 1 kW MH with 750 watts of _adjustable_ LEDs, in the same space, for $1.5k USD! Bought it direct, so don't know the exact date purchased but I remember the price, 'cause had to scrimp, sacrifice and save just to purchase them. Originally, thought I'd hit the plants with heavy blue during veg and heavy red during flowering. Too long a story for now but turned out plants did best when hit with full burple lighting _all_ the time, rather than reduced blue or red for specific growth phases. Imagine that. :rolleyes:

Due to the political situation here in the U.S., my wife and I's cannabis consumption dramatically increased, necessitating the need for a tent in the basement. Couldn't afford more LumiGrows but KingPlus blurples, with "new" improved 10w LED chips, were affordable. So got a pair of these, KingPlus "1800 watt" 340 actual watts lights, $239 USD in 2017:

PXL_20240122_192831268.jpg

They were decent lights but not terribly reliable. Learned to replace the PCBs myself... that they sent me a couple of times under warranty. :confused:

Was overall fairly happy but when one of 'em totally crapped out, decided to go back to a U.S. manufacturer and got this, the only "bloom booster" that actually works :p:

PXL_20240122_192924224.jpg

Can't remember how much it was but it was expensive, compared to other, lesser quality lights made in China. That light is built like a fucking tank, leans heavy red and still works fine even now, many years later. I don't use it anymore because the electricity use bang per buck just isn't there.

Political situation got worse and needed a bigger tent, so got an 8 x 4 to go with the 4 x 4 in the basement. Went with 2 SF2000 SMB lights, $320 USD a piece in 2020, for the 4 x 4 and 2 SF4000 lights at $600 a piece for the 8 x 4.

8X4_fans.jpg

4 x 4 tent started deteriorating, so upgraded to a 5 x 5 tent and added a SF2000 Pro for $220 last year, definitely one I shouldn't have ordered because they no longer use Meanwell drivers.

out_of_the_closet.jpg

The closet lights had some years on them, so last year decided to upgrade with this for the original closet, a ViparSpectra XS4000, for $320:

DSCN0982.JPG

Would I make different choices now? Without a doubt. But right now all of the current lights are humming along, doing their thing, using just a bit more energy than the original 1 kW MH. :cool:

Last edited:

Ca++

After the sun and various household lamps, I thought I needed UV. A friend at a commercial pets and aquatics place, got a tube, that in hindsight was from a steriliser of some size. For a day I had no sight, as my face swelled up.
It was talk of sodium, that turned my attention to street lighting. I son had a collection of smaller hps and mbf lamps. Before moving to larger floods. The biggest I have been close up and personal with, was a 2000w MH.

Last edited:

I Care

Thanks for posting! I’m making a big change after an incredible failure. Ordered the cheapest tent, 20x36x62 inch. I dumped GMO gear and got rid of the equipment in a classified. Need to get new gear, new light and new ventilation. Starting over, had a fire out in the pit to welcome change and promote spirit while I wiped everything down and packed it in before the sale.

Brief two run lighting history

CFL flowered with HPS (success)
Fluorescent tubes, then LED into HPS (fail)
Next is sun outside under a canopy and inside LED.

Placed bid on viparspectra p2500 and if that falls through; considering xs2500 pro. Cut down the metal dowels to make it fit within the 36” space, put the driver on the outside.

Last edited:

CharlesU Farley

When you all made the switch from HID to LED, did you notice any drastic changes in fertilizer or watering requirements that maybe weren't related to temperature and/or humidity?

When I made the switch, I was still in the closet (bwahaha) so I could control temperature easily via my exhaust fan and humidity with a humidifier. Other than reduced watering requirements, I never noticed any difference with fertilizer requirements.

Evidently, it's now common knowledge amongst the millennial experts that when you switch to LED, suddenly you need a ca/mg additive.

I think the problem doesn't have anything to do with the change in lighting but with the change in temp and/or humidity.

Since I only use Peter's 20/20/20 and spring water, have never measured pH on anything other than from an arterial blood gas analysis, and I've never measured PAR/DLI, I was wondering if those of you who have made the switch to LED and do all these measurements have noticed any differing requirements?

Rodehazrd

I used hps 1k with blurple for clones then last grow tried led it failed
I had deficiency tried to add more cal and mag and k got so far off I scraped it
Ready for another year but lost confidence in my mix and feeds so after 20 years growing I’m starting over as a novice with led

JKD

Veteran
I think it might be a couple of things.
Agree about temperature - higher temps under HID mean increased transpiration and therefore lower EC requirement, so higher EC under LED to provide the same level of nutrition to the plant.

Would be interested to see a comparison of nutrients used per cycle rather than just EC. In theory under the same PPFD the total nutrients used should be about the same, despite higher EC under LED.

And also people inadvertently increasing PPDF a lot more than they’re accustomed to when they change to LED, which would also mean a jump in EC is needed.

For me the transition coincided with a pretty drastic downsizing, so big changes were expected anyway.

Last edited:

Ca++

Soil growers seemed to find the amount of light that worked. Having no real option to change feed, in many cases.
The coco/hydro growers seemed to increase feed, in response to the higher light.

I find it hard to believe that transpiration numbers changed that drastically. My plants didn't seem to drink any more. In fact, I watch these numbers, and they pretty much drank more. Quite a few growers found 40% more feed strength to be right. I was similar in veg, with no less water use.

This is green
iu

What do we need to grow more green?
My calmag is typical. If contains 1.5% Mg and 2.9% N. In the middle if this molecule, where it all starts, is Mg. One breeder said early on, we would need more Mg for higher light. Around this Mg, we have a need for N. After the N, the building blocks are Oxygen and Hydrogen from the water, and Carbon from the air.

It's quite possible the addition of calmag, was seen to work, but had nothing to do with Ca for many adopters. Though using just Ca, I have seen greater N accumulation. I think in reality, Ca holds back everything except N, so N's forthright appearance, may of been for other reasons. In any case, the molecule pic suggests we need 1:4 Mg:N somehow.

I'm aware this 1:4 is just a pic, and Mg is actually big, especially as a hydrated form. I simply didn't do chemistry, so my play ends here. Someone else might want to take the ball further forward though. Or just burst it :)

I've used cfl at first, moved to hps, went to leds, and now I'm in hps again.
Something just didn't add up to me under leds, growth was amazing but flowering was not consistent in what I was looking for.
Some plants under leds ive noticed their morphology changes, that's the only way I can explain it but its probably more complicated than that.
Also after ive dumped the leds I researched why they were seemingly inferior to me, infinite researchers about other plants flowering under them quickly made it apparent that leds are not suited for this task, most of the times.

I Care

It's odd actually. As a blanket statement, feed demand soared, but years later, it has settled back down again.
So maybe it will not be a major effort for me. I’m not continuing any work, moving my own selection from HPS to LED. Should I focus my efforts on finding cuttings from strains that have been born and bred under LED?

Ca++

Looking forward, I would use your feeds as the instructions suggest. With a very new grow, it's hard to anticipate much. You will just have to do a textbook grow, and respond to surprises along the way. It's really the second run where you make an effort. Using knowledge of the plants branching and stretching habits, your plant spacing, training and timing will be much more appropriate to your space. You will have ideas about feed strength and additives then. Perhaps light levels to. For now though, you will probably have to just see what you have got.

Cactus Squatter

My first light was a 400w HPS, eye hortilux bulbs.
Then it was MH in veg with a flip to HPS in flower.
Then a 315CMH setup.
Now I run a Dual CMH at 630w in one tent, and a Gavita 1700something or other in another tent. I’ll be swapping the CMH out hopefully next run to an LED panel. Might try the new ACInfiniti one if they ever release it.

hillbil

CFLs
70 and 150 watt flood HPS
250 and 400 watt grow lights HPS/CMH
Lumigrow and other Blurple LEDs
Several Area 51 White based LED panels, discrete diodes
3500k COB based lights (3000k were not widely available)
Quantum Board grow lights with added red diodes
Still running a more than 10 year old A51 75w r/w, lives in the veg tent

dogzter

Drapetomaniac
Sun,hps magnetic,led,hps digital and back to hps magnetic.
Back to magnetic ballasts because my neighbor is a shortwave radio fanatic and the digital was interfereng with his reception.
High up in the rockies in a garage so the heat is beneficial 10 months out of the year.

CharlesU Farley

...In theory under the same PPFD the total nutrients used should be about the same, despite higher EC under LED.
That's what I believe the science is, visible spectrum light is light.
Just because you're adding or emphasizing specific wavelengths in the visual spectrum, should not mean that you're going to get a measurable change in a _specific_ chemical component of fertilizer. Why is it specifically calcium and/or magnesium that is suddenly needed in such greater quantities? Why isn't it manganese or molybdenum?

If temperature and humidity remain the same in the LED environment, as it was in the HID environment, I just don't understand how that could create a excess need for a specific chemical.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts