What's new

What is the most affordable property values in Nor Cal that isn't getto

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
If you want 10+ acres You gotta go out Patterson,Los Banos,Turlock. Yes it does get very hot. AC is a must. All the other places are packed with growers like Humboldt, Eureka,Yreka...Plus the prices are insane..

Mr Celsius

I am patient with stupidity but not with those who
Veteran
Its a little depressing how expensive places in cali are that 1) Don't snow or have a lot of frosts and 2) Aren't so hot you feel like you moved to hell. But I'm spoiled by good weather.

Mendo is cool, but really, its just as expensive as where I am now. Plus the tweeker/cartel vibe isn't up my ally. I suppose I could get some remote land, but it would be hard to access and off the grid is the only option. I don't want to drive an hour on my drive-way. It saddens me to think of all the other cheap places in America and Canada that you can live.

S

SeaMaiden

I personally would avoid counties where they're working with the feds to ID and target growers. Much of what I've read indicates that the central valley counties are in the thick of this.

Mr. Celsius, where we are, western scarp, south of GV, at around the 2,500' elevation, is pretty ideal in many ways and for many reasons. While we don't quite have the growing season the valley does, we also don't have the FOG. We don't have the moisture and related issues that those out in Mendocino and Humboldt do, yet experience about the same amount of snowfall. Less rain, for sure I think, although my particular area around Hwy 88 through Hwy 26 is known as the banana belt of the Sierra. Property and home prices are less, perhaps significantly less (it's been a while since I've worked RE, done much searching) than these foothill counties that are closer to Nevada than the coast.

On one hand, searching, I'm sitting here just agog at what you can get and for what price. On the other hand, it reminds me of how upside down we are on our place. <facepalm>

Check out these properties, might make you want to fly the hell outta the valley!

http://www.realtor.com/realestatean...untain-Ranch_CA_95246_M16932-65548?source=web

Back in 1990, my 2nd husband and I bought our first home together, a condominium, for $135K. When was the last time you could get a SFH with land for $120K?
http://www.realtor.com/realestatean...d_West-Point_CA_95255_M20985-47163?source=web

I can tell you that Railroad Flat is a BEAUTIFUL drive.
http://www.realtor.com/realestatean...untain-Ranch_CA_95246_M18005-81559?source=web

http://www.realtor.com/realestatean...ailroad-Flat_CA_95248_M26005-23260?source=web

http://www.realtor.com/realestatean...d_West-Point_CA_95255_M21328-15933?source=web

http://www.realtor.com/realestatean..._San-Andreas_CA_95249_M29367-08347?source=web

I would love to live in a place with no address!
http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/Mountain-Ranch_CA_95246_M18314-34915?source=web

Now, huge caveat living in this/these area(s)--there is little to no work in the immediate area.

Yes4Prop215

Veteran
i love where im at...butte county 530 baby!! close to chico where all the partying and girls...close to fishing,hunting, hiking, lots of cool places to kick back, good balance of mountain forests and flat farmland....only 3 hours from the city so no long ass 4-5hr rides down to the brokers like the shasta and trinity guys gotta do...

prices arent too bad here, around 200-250k for 20 acres with a house. i see 10 acre lots all the time for cheaper..check out oroville, magalia, forest ranch, forbestown, berry creek, concow, all pretty nice areas for growing/living..

theres a fair amount of tweakers and crime but its not that bad....theres still a bunch of legit hard workin folk out here...conservative/liberatarian mindset. lots of guys who are pro gun, pro hunting, and anti government which is right up my alley..

Last edited:

Yes4Prop215

Veteran
not 100% sure...but the ordinance says that properties of 20 acres can grow 25 plants...properties larger than 160 acres can grow 99..

there are so many big 50+ plant gardens up here everyone goes over the limits......barely any busts too. one of the few last year was because the guy has 130 big plants in a small 5 acre property right near the airport, and he was an out of stater who had a big hash making lab and indoor gardens...i heard his case got dropped or something ridiculous like the punishment was only probation....

also my contractors wife works for the DA so she sees all the pot cases that go to court, and basically says that any cannabis cultivation charges RARELY stick.....in order to get in real trouble you need to be dealing meth or Oxy...

butte county is awesome...way chiller than mendo/humboldt in terms of police presense, met a bunch of cool people out there who dont have the elitest, "i hate outsiders" mentality that you find up in the 707 with some of the old school growers.....afaik there is no DEA up here just the local BINTF, there might be DEA in chico but not in the hills...DEA is deep in mendo/humboldt they hit a bunch of grows last year..

InjectTruth

Would love to hear more on this topic. Mr. C, did you ever come across something and take the plunge?

What about closer to the Bay, say an hr or two north tops? How bout if you are just looking to do a regular size backyard, does that play in places like Sac, Stockton, Modesto, etc?

Ive been up to the 'Pec a couple times to be a scissorhand, and spent some time in SF/Oak. Seen a few things. But I wanna hear what the cats doin it have to say. No cousins/uncles/sister's boyfriend's grandma's tales :p

Yes4Prop215

Veteran
if i had to stay close to the bay within an hour or two, and still grow...might check out some areas in santa rosa, cotati, healdsburg...

vallejo and sacramento are harder to pull that shit off...more ghetto and lots of neighbors

for true privacy and real outdoor lifestyle you need to head up at least 2-4 hours.....either the 707 mendo/humboldt or the 530 up in butte county to redding...

Affordable/non-ghetto...west coast needs a staten island homie? We jus roll up on Jersey...with peace!

over-tanned-jersey-girl.jpg

burns1n209

I'll be moving to a town just south of Patterson by next year, damn short sales take forever, I like the area my self ill be on 7 ac. 300k 3bed and 2bath with large detached 3 car garage. Surrounded by farm land, corn fields, tomato fields and no negighbors. I think its a good place to grow as long as its within your doctor recommendations. And not growing 100 of plants. 10 or 20 tress will be no problem. The houses all have large basements, that's what attracted me. I-5 interstate is a stones throw away. Patterson does have amazon building there and some other big name company's, 9-5 will be easy to get if your not a tweak and can fill out an app correctly, and pass the drug test. Simple as that. I guess it depends if you wanna be in the valley or the foothills.

m4n

Cental valley los banos...not to bad Dependin on neighbours...3000sqf home for 160-185...regular 3 bedroom 1500sqf like 110-125...all built around mid 2000's not too bad

medmaker420

The Aardvarks LED Grow Show
Veteran
los banos isn't bad but there is a ton of hot wind and it is flat. When I get my land I need either trees or hills/mountains in the area to block the nosy locals.

InjectTruth

Great replies everyone.

Yes4Prop215 - thats exactly the type of specifics Im lookin for. I hear the 707 can be kinda vibey for 'outsiders', what are some towns in Butte closer to the 2 hr mark? What about places like Sebastopol or other Sonoma and Marin towns?

Cravenmore - lol, looks like my ex. You guys gotta learn how to stay in the right lane, lol. The left lane is the passing lane, not the 'i have a long distance to travel so im gonna get over and zone the fuck out goin 50mph' lane :p Hollar at your boy ;)

Burns1 - Thats good news. Stockton and Modesto were high on my list based on proximity, but i hear crime/tweak factor is a bit higher in those areas. How's Patterson and Los Banos stack up in that department?

m4n - solid data. gracias. I like the fact the houses are newer. Good price too.

medmaker - thanks for the infor about the flat/hot wind. I was planning on puttin up a GH regardless, but ive seen some pics of grows in Baker that werent too shabby at all. when there's a will and all that.

Thanks guys. Keep the info flowin. Im learning a ton.

S

SeaMaiden

I'm tellin' you folks, man, the Sierra foothills have screaming low values, especially the counties that are furthest from the cities and developed areas. AND they're 2-3hrs from the Bay.

For example, you'll probably still be paying in the $300K+ range for a 3br/2ba home on maybe a couple of acres at most if you buy in El Dorado Hills. But go a county or two south and you'll be paying maybe $200K. In fact, two homes for sale, one across the street from us and one behind us. The home across the street is 4br/2ba, 1.1acres. Last time I looked it was well under $250K, under $240K and they're probably dropping the price again. The place behind us is a 3br/2ba on 3acres and it's listed at $195K and is EXTREMELY private.

One of the most important things to remember when looking at property in the foothills is that elevation affects price (the lower you are the higher the cost, due to access to the cities, schools, as well as having more reliable services such as power during winter, roads plowed, etc).

I still recommend Calaveras county over the other counties specifically for their MMJ stance and ordinances, they are the most generous.

Wen in Cali I try to remain close to the sushi and fish tacos...hope y'all find something nice and peaceful!

picture.php

picture.php

Latest posts

Latest posts