What's new

What is the lowest odor plant for indoors and is really potent?

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
The DIY carbon filter I built didn't do squat so I bought a can filter. Much better. I wouldn't grow indoors without it unless maybe I lived out in the country somewhere, away from all other noses.

Turdcat-Have you ever tried water curing? Very smooth and removes all odor and taste IME. Try a couple buds to see if it works for you. It's not my favorite but it definitely has it's place for stealth smoking.

I gave water curing a try, 'once'... it comes out like plastic. yes it didnt smell as much but!!! Vaporizor! no cannabis smell from vapeing, more like popcorn.

b8man

Veteran
I really hope ISS isn't low odor.

Aurora Indica, Apollo 11 were both low odor for me. But as a vaper I got to say, I missed the flavor. There's something to those terpenes. And carbon filters work.

L

lordofthenugz

This really is not true at all.

Federation Hawaiian sativa had many low odor and some no odor phenos, that were quite good. Even the stinkiest weren't that stinky. Early Sativa from Great White North Seed Co has about no odor at all, even if you rub the plants, but it's not super potent. The cool part about Early Sativa is that it's a short plant, a super fast bloomer, and a pure sativa high, with no paranoia, and no grow odor.
Many pure sativas, that are long season plants grow from start to finish with almost no need to use odor control.
I'm not so familiar with the Indica side, but have read that Serious Seeds Chronic is potent and low odor. There are others, and it always depends on the individual plant grown. I've had good low odor plants like Northern Lights #5 from BCSeedCo and Kish from CCK. Neither put out an odor unless they were disturbed. Then they smell skunky for a few seconds. This is an interesting middle ground. Technically these plants all smelled skunky, but only if you forced them to. :)

All this being said, a carbon scrubber is highly recommended. I'd prefer a carbon scrubber and low odor plants.

Yup. I had one Hawaiian Sativa once that barely had any smell at all and it was definitely not a marijuana smell. I actually used to roll up cigs of that one and take them to the club with me. When burning they smelled of honeyish incense.

Sigh,, I miss my honeysuckle taste and smell pheno os Hawaiian Sat. :(

BlueGrassToker

If someone is growing pot without filtration, I can smell it. I don't care what they are running. Others can too.
Ive grown lots of pot with very little odor, and there isn't one that is odor free. At some stage you are going to have plants that smell to some degree. And NONE that are undetectable.
I suppose we all know what the number one cause of people getting popped is...no???

G

guest3236

If someone is growing pot without filtration, I can smell it. I don't care what they are running. Others can too.
Ive grown lots of pot with very little odor, and there isn't one that is odor free. At some stage you are going to have plants that smell to some degree. And NONE that are undetectable.
Everyone should use a carbon scrubber for protection, but unless you've personally grown Fed's Hawaiian Sativa, and GWN Early Sativa, and experienced many different individuals, you can't claim that NONE are undetectable. ESPECIALLY EARLY SATIVA. The aroma is a light sweet fruity type smell that is very very faint, and only after the stem is rubbed. Every single seed contains a unique individual plant.

I've grown many undetectable plants. There are many people that have grown other undetectable plants that I've never grown. Trust me, these plants exist. It's not that hard to imagine that certain types of plants truly do exist. There might even be life on other planets. Far fetched idea?

Every time I've commented on one of these types of threads, there's always the same type of posts --"everything smells, get a scrubber" etc etc.

GP73LPC

Strain Collector/Seed Junkie/Landrace Accumulator/
Veteran
I've grown Nirvana's Hawaiian Maui and it was pretty low odor...

BlueGrassToker

Hmmm...well, if every individual is unique and has an individual aroma, even if some are odorless....just who is it that decides when it is good enough for no filtration? And WHEN? Do we just run no filter in hopes that the next plant is odorless?
I appreciate the sarcasm of the far fetched idea....but I think that my stance makes far more sense than yours. Is it far fetched to think that someone else can smell your grow even when you feel it is odor free?

G

guest3236

Is it far fetched to think that someone else can smell your grow even when you feel it is odor free?
I can see where your coming from there, and better to be safe than sorry, but check out GWN Early Sativa(only listed strain available). I think that to detect that in a small grow, it would take a dog.

I appreciate the sarcasm of the far fetched idea....but I think that my stance makes far more sense than yours.
I don't think we have different stances. Both of us think that it's best to use a scrubber.

Hmmm...well, if every individual is unique and has an individual aroma, even if some are odorless....just who is it that decides when it is good enough for no filtration? And WHEN?
Actually it's quite possible to grow sativas with no filtration, depending on the strain. Early Sativa, and Dr. Greenthumb's Malawi, could be grown completely without filtration. Those are the two lowest odor plants that I have ever encountered. Never had a pheno type that needed it with those two.

Do we just run no filter in hopes that the next plant is odorless?
If your very familiar with the genetic line being grown, than it's to be expected. I've actually done that many times, as much as others might find that distasteful. It's not a good idea unless you really know the strains though.

Just saying that it's possible.

I have grown several runs of KC Sweet Dreams under a 125W cfl in soil. Remains almost odorless until last week of flower and then smells green/fruity but only at point blank range. A sweet skunky smell develops during the drying and cure. Solid yield, visually impressive product, potent and puts you to sleep fast.

mowood3479

Veteran
I dont think ANY of the plants ive grown smell at all... EC sour diesel, ak, strawcough, stardawg, sweet island skunk, white widow.....
but then again mayb im just used to it or my nose has been broken to many times.. lol
just joking here, dont buy any of these strains based on my advice.. i cant smell shit. people have told me they smell it 20 yards from the house, so who knows??? prob not me

T

trem0lo

Everyone should use a carbon scrubber for protection, but unless you've personally grown Fed's Hawaiian Sativa, and GWN Early Sativa, and experienced many different individuals, you can't claim that NONE are undetectable. ESPECIALLY EARLY SATIVA. The aroma is a light sweet fruity type smell that is very very faint, and only after the stem is rubbed. Every single seed contains a unique individual plant.

I've grown many undetectable plants. There are many people that have grown other undetectable plants that I've never grown. Trust me, these plants exist. It's not that hard to imagine that certain types of plants truly do exist. There might even be life on other planets. Far fetched idea?

Every time I've commented on one of these types of threads, there's always the same type of posts --"everything smells, get a scrubber" etc etc.

Well all it takes is one time for the wrong person to smell it. If you're used to it, a fresh nose might not be. And all vegetation smells regardless of what it is. It smells planty.

Obviously if you're familiar with the strain, as you are, you might not need a scrubber. If you're growing indoors and are not a hermit in a legal state, it would be unwise to not have one.

G

guest3236

And all vegetation smells regardless of what it is. It smells planty.
Simply not true.

I have not grown all of the individual cannabis plants or vegetation in existance, and still I have encountered that which I've stated previously. Imagine what exists outside of what I HAVE encountered.

I appreciate the rest of your comments. I like your cat avatar.
I'm done now. :tiphat:

40AmpstoFreedom

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I dont think ANY of the plants ive grown smell at all... EC sour diesel, ak, strawcough, stardawg, sweet island skunk, white widow.....
but then again mayb im just used to it or my nose has been broken to many times.. lol
just joking here, dont buy any of these strains based on my advice.. i cant smell shit. people have told me they smell it 20 yards from the house, so who knows??? prob not me

Definitely used to it, Sour D is rank. I can never smell much either living in it but everyone else can. I barely smell my plants outside of the grow room, but everyone else does and even more so in the room. If I leave for several days and come back I can smell it immediately upon walking through the door don't even need to go in the room and my air flow and filtration is pretty tight but I do need to upgrade to an 8 inch filter instead of 2 6 inch when it comes to the cheese's, Sour D's, and OGK's.

paladin420

FACILITATOR
Veteran
GHMS BlockHead IBL

So low odor it is almost a negative. Skull Skinnin Buzz, hits like a bump of Peruvian Flake.

Applesauce

I used to mess around with DIY filtration years and years ago. Now that I've used good scrubbers I will never go back to trying to make my own. There is absolutely no detectable smell with a good can filter. That's the way it needs to be. Don't come into your rooms for a few days, then enter the veg room. Even then there will be a very telling smell of something.

Strain wise? C99 smells of fruit.

Bi0hazard

Veteran
Odor for the most part equals taste....potency is found everywhere...are you looking for a blander smoke? ..... .ona gel works so good...table spoon here and there with a small fan blowing on it helps tame my hottest and stinkiest days.

WARNING:

Ona gel will bind to your bud, which means it will reduce the flavor/smell and also make it smell/taste like ona. Who wants to smoke a bowl of herb that tastes like ona?

This is why people use carbon scrubbers - it eliminates the smell that gets into the air - but doesn't touch the smell/taste of any of the bud on the plant.

If you are looking for an Ona replacement that doesn't bind to the Bud and effect the final smell/taste - get some Vaportek Disc's - Always the "Classic Neutral" the others don't work for eliminated weed smell. 100x better than ona, if you like to taste your weed when its done. Switch off of Ona and your odor control will never effect the smell/taste of your harvested bud. This is most likely why your bud becomes "bland"... Ona is generally good for exhaust ducts and ways of covering up smells in air leaving in a contained area (not hitting the buds) or you exhaust into a second room, and put ona or ozone in that room. And stay out of it for the most part... This product does what ona does but way better for growing.

($26) 12 Vaportek "Classic Neutral" discs each one last 3+ weeks... @ http://www.johnsonsupplyinc.com/miv...I&Product_Code=34-7600&Category_Code=vaportek

Also I highly recommend the wall/fan unit for the discs, if you open them completely they dry out quick, but this non-expensive unit makes them last 3 weeks to a month each.

($29) Wall Unit for making them last longer @ http://www.johnsonsupplyinc.com/miv...I&Product_Code=90-2600&Category_Code=vaportek

Definitely worth it in the long run. These work great inside grow rooms as well as outside them to cover smell. It completely neutralizes the smell and doesn't affect the buds smell/taste at all. If you have too many discs running the worst you get is a sweet bubble gum smell. When you have 1:1 ratio of vaportek discs to grow smell there will be no smell at all.