What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

What is the best, most practical extraction method for the home grower?

romanoweed

Aha
QWET means : " Quick Wash With Ethanol "

I found a very detailed Instruction wich i found outstanding good desribed and trustful:
(includes freezing and 3min quick Methology)
https://skunkpharmresearch.com/qwet-extraction/

Nice, i believe you it tastes good! How does it compare to Buthan Oil? If it tastes very similar clean, then i will call this a very easy Method. Needs no Concentration on Finetuning (like per ex. Amount of Sifting applyed). Wich i wouldnt like.. Thanx Grey Wolf

Bobby Boucher

I noticed a strong grapey flavor with my subzero ethanol extractions, no matter how long I purged them.

Wasn’t offensive, but it wasn’t bho.

Just my experience. Worth what it costs ya.

Siskiyou

Veteran
My favorite tincture is a blend of about 80% strong glycerin tincture combined with about 20% of well-made 151-proof rum tincture. I make them separately then combine before consumption. The 80/20 blend is very nice. 85%glycerin/15%rum is also good, and the blend ratio is easily customizable.

Big thanks to Gray Wolf for his posts on glycerin tincture. My current method of making glycerin tincture, which I am very happy with, was greatly influenced by those posts.

I do a hot extraction using a sous vide circulator set at 160 degrees. I place decarboxylated flower in a pint canning jar with an appropriate two-piece lid that makes a good seal. I like to use high quality materials to achieve the most potent end-product. Cover with good quality vegetable glycerin. Shake well. Submerse jars completely in water for 40 minutes at 160 degrees. I do 5 cycles of 40 minutes at 160 degrees, rotating and shaking the jars often while they cool in between cycles.

The idea to use cycles of heat and cooling between came from Gray Wolf (thanks again) and just seems right to me.

I have made cold process glycerin tincture, but the hot process works well for me and can be accomplished in a day or two rather than 2 to 4 months.

Adding hash to the herb and glycerin works wonderfully.

For flavoring, if desired, I like to use a tiny bit of Root Beer flavored liqueur.

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Aha
QWET means : " Quick Wash With Ethanol "

I found a very detailed Instruction wich i found outstanding good desribed and trustful:
(includes freezing and 3min quick Methology)
https://skunkpharmresearch.com/qwet-extraction/

Nice, i believe you it tastes good! How does it compare to Buthan Oil? If it tastes very similar clean, then i will call this a very easy Method. Needs no Concentration on Finetuning (like per ex. Amount of Sifting applyed). Wich i wouldnt like.. Thanx Grey Wolf

Well done BHO is more aromatic and well done QWET is smoother. I like the flavor of both.

Any residual ethanol leaves a sweet background taste, which can be a compliment to some terpene profiles.

When we held volunteer student panel evaluations of BHO, QWET, and QWISO, the results were mixed as to which was best.

romanoweed

yes, Ethanolextracts get Abit blurry in Taste (softsweet), very similar Taste to Desserts when you put it into Flames (sorry English) . And yes, ok Buthan has also some VERY slight Gas-Taste wich is going into a hard to describe Direction. The Description wich fits best might be bitter, but somehow i cant put it into any Category.

The Buthan-Taste i think is what i would preffere most often, since its kind of a exclusive separate Side-Taste that comes with it and doesent really blend. BUT thats just MY OPPINION, and aslong as its a unharsh shortwash, i might give Ethanol a try, its still very Tasty. I can imagine some People preffere shortwash Ethanol...

How does Glycerine-Taste compare to the others?

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
yes, Ethanolextracts get Abit blurry in Taste (softsweet), very similar Taste to Desserts when you put it into Flames (sorry English) . And yes, ok Buthan has also some VERY slight Gas-Taste wich is going into a hard to describe Direction. The Description wich fits best might be bitter, but somehow i cant put it into any Category.

The Buthan-Taste i think is what i would preffere most often, since its kind of a exclusive separate Side-Taste that comes with it and doesent really blend. BUT thats just MY OPPINION, and aslong as its a unharsh shortwash, i might give Ethanol a try, its still very Tasty. I can imagine some People preffere shortwash Ethanol...

How does Glycerine-Taste compare to the others?

A well made Glycerine extract taste like wild honey. Sweet with terpene flavors going in all directions.

grayeyes

Safest and cheapest for home growers is definitely bags and dry ice. For $20 I bought a 160 bag and a 70. Dry ice costs me $1 a lb.

No risk of setting myself or my house on fire. Buy lots of fire extinguishers you guys!

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Safest and cheapest for home growers is definitely bags and dry ice. For $20 I bought a 160 bag and a 70. Dry ice costs me $1 a lb.

No risk of setting myself or my house on fire. Buy lots of fire extinguishers you guys!

Even cheaper is DIY dry sieve, or bubble but the yields on both processes are less than solvent extraction.

They also contain cellulose solids not found in solvent extractions.

They have their charm and uses, but are not a 1:1 substitute for solvent extracts.

Good point about safety! Plan A, is to extract safely, so that setting things on fire are a non issue.

Also a good point about fire extinguishers. Part of any well written safety program, is a Plan B, even if it never gets used.

We keep one in our kitchen just in case of oil fires or exuberant flambé gone awry, but have never had to use it.

Attachments

• Stretched frame bottom.jpg
    Stretched frame bottom.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 29
  • Glued frames drying-1-1.jpg
    Glued frames drying-1-1.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 32
  • Plan B.jpg
    Plan B.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 24

Bobby Boucher

I said it earlier in the thread, but after dicking around every which way, I couldn't be happier with my 45g closed column.

I could easily rinse a lb a day without ever evaporating more than a half can of butane at a time.

If the column were any larger, or less efficient, I probably wouldn't make my own bho.

Craycanna

I use a small hash shaker & a pollen press to make small hash blocks from trimmings, nothing nearly as complex as you guys. I don't trust solvents or anything that can blow up.

Green Squall

I've always been a big fan of bubble hash. Absolutely love the stuff and smoke it pretty much every night. In the past, I made small batches with small, cheap bags, but with my entire outdoor harvest going towards hash this year, I got one of those mini washing machines and a set of 5 gallon bags. It should make things a lot easier than doing it by hand.

Hold Your Fire

Finding my way back home
Veteran
I'm waaay late to this concentrate thing but soaking my buds in butane as part of the process has never appealed to me.

However, I smoked rosin for the first time a few weeks ago.

Wow, that was great. Haven't been that high after just a couple hits, for years.

I'm guessing rosin doesn't yield as well as other methods. Otherwise why involve butane.

I want a rosin press!!!

Ringodoggie

Premium user
Go to Dabpress.com for a press. Best quality for the price.

With skiff and popcorn, I yield at least 10%, maybe a little more. With buds, it's 20%+ every press.

I have no idea what solvent methods yield. Is it that much more than 20% for the extra effort.

Hold Your Fire

Finding my way back home
Veteran
Go to Dabpress.com for a press. Best quality for the price.

With skiff and popcorn, I yield at least 10%, maybe a little more. With buds, it's 20%+ every press.

I have no idea what solvent methods yield. Is it that much more than 20% for the extra effort.

Thanks for the dabpress link.

Regardless of yield, rosin is the only extraction method I'm interested in.

Bobby Boucher

Not much more than 20%, but I would hardly credit any extra effort to a small closed column extraction.

Load, flood, dump, purge, vape.

It is crazy to think of the headaches and the hazards I used to put up with less efficient methods, thats for sure.

Ringodoggie

Premium user
It's actually probably 6 of 1 and a half dozen of the other.

For the price of a decent press, you can probably buy a decent enough BHO setup that the process would be relatively safe and efficient. It's all about the proper tools and how to use them. I sure didn't get the yields from my hair straightener days as I do, now, from a professional press.

I don't know how much butane costs but there are recovery methods so it might be reasonable. Using a rosin press costs almost nothing. Parchment paper.

I also like the taste of rosin better than BHO but it seems about equal on both sides of people who prefer the taste of BHO or rosin.

So, it becomes a matter of preference.

I know one thing, regardless of the method, a 20% return of rosin lasts me WAY longer then the original weed would have. I try to convince my friends that rosin is actually a money saver over smoking pot but.... people are always afraid of something new. Most people around here don't even know what concentrate is. BHO or rosin. I just tell them it's hash oil and they always raise their eyebrows in recognition and say the same thing..... wow. LOL Backwards ass hillbilly state.

Also, FYI, DabPress Presses are available on eBay and Amazon if you are in the USA and they also stock in other countries for super fast shipping and no customs issues. Even when they ship from China, I got mine in 3 days in the US. They also offer package deals with pre-press molds and bags and stuff. The only thing I really use is the stainless round pre-press. I understand the bags are best when pressing dry sift or hash.

Bobby, what the approx cost of your setup? Does it recover the butane?

Thanks

RandyCalifornia

Well endowed member
Veteran
Shower curtain kiff, with a nylon curtain fine weave and a cordless drill with a paint mixing paddle. Get your trim or bud frozen and hit it hard as you want for quantity lightly for quality.

Bobby Boucher

I shred all my rinsed goods almost into a powder with a food processor and do a 2nd rinse using hardly any solvent at all.

You could always apply the same method with your already-pressed goodies and recover whatever your squisher is missing. 16 oz of well pulverized material fits into a 20 oz cup, iirc. Even if it is only an extra 1-2% yield, it's easy enough to obtain with minimal solvent and effort to make it worth the while.

Waste not, right?

You can find a 45g closed column extractor for like <100 bucks on amazon. I think I paid ~180 for mine from bestvaluevacs.

My little 1 qt vacuum chamber was 35-40 bucks. The Vacuum itself was I dunno, 100.

I don't recover my butane, but I don't waste any either, or ever make large puddles or batches.

Ringodoggie

Premium user
So, pricing isn't all that different. A decent press is $400 or so.

I know some people who press a second time. I never get shit on a second press so I stopped bothering. I use my 'pucks' for edibles. There is definitely plenty of oil left on a puck after you press it. You can even see it shine on the surface. I use a bagful of pucks and a cup of butter to make caramels for my friends.

Latest posts

Latest posts