What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

What is so bad about Miracle Gro?

p.s. stoner chic - if you are wanting a soil mix that you can just add water to then you can check out mine for your next grow if you want to try an alternative to miracle grow.

That would be very cool of you to do for me and i would greatly appreciate it! I am all for learning how to do things better!

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
no problem, mine is mixed up from basic ingredients (peat, perlite, topsoil etc) so it's still fairly cheep and the ferts can be simplified. spending time planning + mixing a good soil is something you only have to do once every grow - and if you get it right the rest should go smoothly.

VG

hades

i wonder why someone would be that concerned about it

how do they know?

& BFD, so monsanto, ortho, scott's, and MG are all butt-buddies but, monsanto doesn't own MG

is it really so much of their revenue stream that they have to have ballswinging trolls police ICmag?

I'm not quite sure why you would take offense to that. I was serious in offering my thanks for the correction.

generalgrievous

collector of lightsabers.. and fine cannabis genet
ICMag Donor
Made super soil mix with the MG organic choice today... It'll cook till July and get used with my upcoming outdoor...
I'll have a grow thread and show how it works..... You can also look at pics in my '09 outdoor album...

:watchplant:

microgram

I personally know a scotts employee, and she smokes. I don't believe Monsanto owns scotts, and there are a ton of organophosphates/glycophosphates/ etc, and just because one company owns the patent doesn't mean they have to own any other companies that distribute it with their own label.

I learned why miracle-gro is bad. It's a) generic b) crap c) Force-feeds plants. Their fertilizers 'guarantee twice the growth', not twice the quality. They use chemicals in their products that are sister-forms of cyanide and formaldehyde which makes the uptake of nutrients unnatural. Not only that, but said garbage that they put in their products also kills microlife. Would you like to smoke some cyanide?

A lady I know did a test in her own garden, two separate gardens, one was all organic and the other was just a generic-synthetic/retail-bought crap garden. Needless to say, 5 years down the road without amending the soil, the chemical garden was uninhabitable and grew almost nothing except weeds, while the organic garden thrived. Same plants in both the same gardens every year.

Use as little chemicals as possible, and only grow in what you know. As we know, forcing people to eat is very unhealthy. So why do it to our girls?

Remember, legally as a company you can slap anything on your packaging, unless otherwise regulated, so huge companies take full advantage of this. If you take a bag of fertilizer of any brand, and buy the same bag in multiple other states/countries, the N-P-K values will drastically change. Why? Not all nitrates, phosphates, etc, are considered 'plant nutrients', some places govern which they believe are beneficial, and which are junk. I could repackage Roundup as a 0-100-0 fertilizer in some areas, even though at that level it'd surely kill your plants regardless if it's only a mono-cotyledon slayer. (These companies also own sub-companies and other brands, so that they just re-package some products with another brand/packaging to confuse you, even if it's the exact same product you have in your hand)

D

danimarie193

I personally know a scotts employee, and she smokes. I don't believe Monsanto owns scotts, and there are a ton of organophosphates/glycophosphates/ etc, and just because one company owns the patent doesn't mean they have to own any other companies that distribute it with their own label.

I learned why miracle-gro is bad. It's a) generic b) crap c) Force-feeds plants. Their fertilizers 'guarantee twice the growth', not twice the quality. They use chemicals in their products that are sister-forms of cyanide and formaldehyde which makes the uptake of nutrients unnatural. Not only that, but said garbage that they put in their products also kills microlife. Would you like to smoke some cyanide?

A lady I know did a test in her own garden, two separate gardens, one was all organic and the other was just a generic-synthetic/retail-bought crap garden. Needless to say, 5 years down the road without amending the soil, the chemical garden was uninhabitable and grew almost nothing except weeds, while the organic garden thrived. Same plants in both the same gardens every year.

Use as little chemicals as possible, and only grow in what you know. As we know, forcing people to eat is very unhealthy. So why do it to our girls?

Remember, legally as a company you can slap anything on your packaging, unless otherwise regulated, so huge companies take full advantage of this. If you take a bag of fertilizer of any brand, and buy the same bag in multiple other states/countries, the N-P-K values will drastically change. Why? Not all nitrates, phosphates, etc, are considered 'plant nutrients', some places govern which they believe are beneficial, and which are junk. I could repackage Roundup as a 0-100-0 fertilizer in some areas, even though at that level it'd surely kill your plants regardless if it's only a mono-cotyledon slayer. (These companies also own sub-companies and other brands, so that they just re-package some products with another brand/packaging to confuse you, even if it's the exact same product you have in your hand)
thanks man that is some good info.

Cyanide? Jeebus...

Thanks for the information!

generalgrievous

collector of lightsabers.. and fine cannabis genet
ICMag Donor
i believe the formaldahyde and cyanide are used to produce the cheleting agent EDTA.....it's what i read anyways..... stopped using cal mag+ cuz it's in there..... it's in a lot of products including liquid nute bottles for hydro....

read labels on everything.... :watchplant:

xmobotx

ecks moe baw teeks
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I'm not quite sure why you would take offense to that. I was serious in offering my thanks for the correction.

no offense - take it at face value

i do wonder why?

i won't/don't buy anything from those cos whether they pal around the pro-shop together or not - neither should anybody else IMO (but if they do thats their choice)

what i m saying is "why split hairs?"

scott's ortho and MG are not resources in my book regardless of their association (or lack) w/ monsanto

smokefrogg

Veteran
i've been doing some research on this as well, i find a lot of anecdotal statements about miracle grow containing nasty stuff i'd prefer not to put into anything i consume, but i'm not finding anything from a respected sources, just people's comments really

closest thing i'm finding is a quote from "fertile soil" by dr. robert parnes that seems to show up on many different gardening sites, such as this one:
http://davesgarden.com/guides/terms/go/2307/

here's what i am seeing on the site mentioned above:
From Organic Gardening Magazine, July/August 2000 Issue.

Miracle-Gro is a synthetic fertilizer that contains ammonium phosphate and several other chemicals that can be toxic to your soil and plants. It is prohibited from use in certified-organic farming. Here’s what soil expert Robert Parnes, Ph.D., says in his book Fertile Soil: "[Ammonium fertilizer] acidifies the soil, and thus it is probably more harmful to soil organisms than any other nitrogen fertilizer . . . . The application has to be timed carefully and placed properly to avoid burning the leaves and roots . . . . In addition, ammonium tends to inhibit the release of . . . potassium . . . Ammonium fertilizers are deliberately manufactured to be spread at high application rates in order to obtain maximum yields with no regard to adverse effects on the soil. Probably nowhere is the conflict between the mass production of food to feed the world and the preservation of the soil more obvious than in the confrontation over the use of either ammonium fertilizers or liquid ammonia."

And there’s more: long-term studies at the University of Wisconsin have shown that acidic chemical fertilizers are causing serious, permanent damage to our soils. Usually these fertilizers are also highly soluble, so they leach away and pollute our water systems, too. Soil fertility authority Garn Wallace, Ph.D., of Wallace Laboratories in El Segundo, California, points out that Miracle-Gro contains muriate of potash, which contains excess chlorine that will burn plants and inhibit the uptake of nitrogen. Dr. Wallace also warns that products such as Miracle-Gro often contain unsafe levels of zinc and copper that will be toxic to soil life.

And if all that’s not enough to convince you to avoid this stuff, consider this: you have to mix Miracle-Gro with water and apply it ever "7 to 14 days." If you opt to fertilize organically, on the other hand, all you have to do is mix a ½-inch layer of grass clippings into your beds before each crop. As the grass decomposes, it will improve your soil’s texture and stimulate microbial life and help prevent disease, all while releasing plenty of nutrients to feed your plants. (For full details on organic fertilizers, see "How to Fertilize Your Garden," Organic Gardening, July/August 2000.)
-KATHY BAUMGARTNER, Fremont, Michigan

And in Closing I Must Add...
"Real Gardeners Grow Without Miracles!"

hades

no offense - take it at face value

i do wonder why?

i won't/don't buy anything from those cos whether they pal around the pro-shop together or not - neither should anybody else IMO (but if they do thats their choice)

what i m saying is "why split hairs?"

scott's ortho and MG are not resources in my book regardless of their association (or lack) w/ monsanto

I understand what you are saying now, and completely agree!

xmobotx

ecks moe baw teeks
ICMag Donor
Veteran
yeah man - i got the impression someone neg rep'd you over it

idk about that - but, it doesn't really make true sense for someone to be clearing up relations/ties among the big chem grow co aggregates

you sometimes have to wonder who some of the people here are and why?

icred

I have used MGrow and obtained reasonable results in my grows in the past. The main trick appears to be to use it at the start of a seedling from 10% up to 75% strength right off the start. Then you must quit using it after summer and allow the plants to flush out.

I am starting to use "Shitz" at a few sites and will compare full chemical against full organic this summer. I am excited at trying something new but worried if it may attract any animals. MGrows main benefit for me is that it does not attract animals.

Flux451

Bammer Monological Grows - I feel, but sounds like you have at least a fair test coming up
"Shultz?" yeah... F- Monsantos

ibjamming

Veteran
Are we talking the soil or the fertilizer?

I'm not a fan of the soil...I make my own...MG soil is too "woody" for me.

As for the fertilizer...it works fine. I've used in in gardening for years and years...with great results. Used it on weed with great results too.

I think it's usually a problem with the grower...not the fertilizer. There are people here who can't use GH or A/N or any of the other "good for weed" fertilizers either!

If you're burning them...you're using too much. Use 1/4 to 1/2 the recommended dose...you'll see, it does grow nice plants.

This is my personal experience...take it for what it's worth.

I used A/N Sensi A+B last grow and didn't really see that much difference. I'll be going back to "the cheap stuff" my next grow, when these nutes are gone...there's no point in spending too much for fertilizers.

There are a LOT of things that work well for growing weed...IF...and WHEN...you figure out how to use them.

Pot snots dont use Miracle-Gro! The picture on the box isnt of a fake pot plant, and its far too inexpensive to be REAL. Plus theres arsenic,dioxin, rat tranquilizer, radioactive isotopes, poisonous blue dye, cheap cardboard box, free hose-end sprayers...yuk.

Lets just keep buying the stuff that other stoners make in their garages. Its FOR pot!!!!!!!

duhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

S

s00thsayer

more on miracle gro

more on miracle gro

[FONT=&quot]fertilizer with urea nitrogen should be avoided (miracle gro)...for best results choose nutes that use only ammoniacal and nitrate nitrogen sources. though it is possible to grow decent plants with cheap urea fertilizers like miracle gro, urea nitrogen is not readily available to plants and must be converted by the soil to ammonicacal nitrogen, a useable form of nitrogen. over time, this conversion process will cause your soil and grow area to have an offensive odor (like ammonia or urine) and will cause harmful salt buildup in your soil. If you do choose a cheap urea based fertilizer the soil will need to be flushed with plain water monthly in amounts double the size of the potting container to prevent toxic salt buildup. Miracle gro nursery select or tomato food will work (aprox npk 20-20-20) but will need to be used in low concentrations. For example, 1 tablespoon per gallon yields a 20-20-20 solution which is way too strong, so it needs dilluted to aprox 5-5-5 or 7-7-7 ... 1 teaspoon per gallon should yield a 6.6-6.6-6.6 solution that can be used once a week or so (dilute even more if feeding with every watering). --- of course these ratios are for the growth stage.... use blooming nutes (aprox 15-30-15) for the flowering stage and dilute (to aprox 5-10-5 or less)
[/FONT]

reckon

The soil is fucking tree bark with what looks like 10% peat added,...."woody" was being kind, your friggin buying lumber!

The soil uses chemically derived Nitrogen, phosphorus, AND potassium,...timed release pellets (the little green plastic looking balls) guaranteed to burn any root that touches them, no trace minerals, and you get free fungus gnats, and root aphids with every order because lowes and Home DePot like to leave the pallets outside for a couple of years till you are desperate enough to buy the bags of chemicals and bugs.

that's why

and why do people think "hydro" is easier, or better than natural soil?
Does hydroponic lettuce taste better than organic? How about hydroponic/hot house tomatoes, or strawberries?

you can grow pot in a damp sponge using chemicals if you like SMOKING those lovely salt crystals if you want to,...not me.

nuff sed