What's new

What Happens When Computers Get Smarter Than Humans?

A

Alfred

hmm ive seen your threads around. no offense but your very much like the jehovas witnesses that come a' knocking. they believe what they want, no one can tell them different, they are right in their own mind, anyone who opposes their belief or opinion is either stupid, doesnt understand, or is brainwashed by the general consensus followed by the rest of society.

what you say about reality, is not profound, its quite good reasoning and cant be argued with but its very simple concepts.

its just absolutely crazy how you can throw around comments about the similarities between computers and the human brain, without any actually qualified knowledge in either and no one calls you out for it or questions you.
amazing!

Actually, i think most people have a brief glimpse at his/ her posts and then skips over it to the next post. :)

No offence southflorida, just reality. :comfort:

W

willyweed

it is my opinion that by the time computer can outsmart us ,we will have mostly destroyed the planet, used up all of the natural resources ,and gone back to eating each other ,just like the old days,i would love to be around to tell the veggies ,told ya so, as they are fighting over their last potato !

southflorida

lives on planet 4:20
Veteran
hmm ive seen your threads around. no offense but your very much like the jehovas witnesses that come a' knocking. they believe what they want, no one can tell them different, they are right in their own mind, anyone who opposes their belief or opinion is either stupid, doesnt understand, or is brainwashed by the general consensus followed by the rest of society.

what you say about reality, is not profound, its quite good reasoning and cant be argued with but its very simple concepts.

its just absolutely crazy how you can throw around comments about the similarities between computers and the human brain, without any actually qualified knowledge in either and no one calls you out for it or questions you.
amazing!

lol...we're all just sharing infomation here, and it is all conceptually based, none of this is the absolute truth.

all that matters is what is true in your own experience, I'm not saying that you have to believe any of this, just simply remain open-minded and skeptical, and experiment with these concepts in your own personal reality

or just ignore it, like you would a jehovas witness :biggrin:

maybe that's what most are doing :tiphat:

G

gloryoskie

My Sci Fi reference:

Butlerian Jihad.

Drops mike, makes strong exit.

Depends on how you define smart. They are already "better" then us in certain contexts.

This is a long way off in my opinion. It's probably been mentioned already, but DARPA is working on something really cool right now. I truly believe that one day we will be able to model a brain via software or hardware eventually. This is truly a new field of science that is just barely being broken into. The possibilities are terrifying, messy, and exciting.

http://www.artificialbrains.com/darpa-synapse-program

Hash Zeppelin

Ski Bum Rodeo Clown
Premium user
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Man will eventually begin to merge with machine, or be wiped out by it. I see it as an evolve or perish situation as it is inevitable with scientific progress. Hope every one is alive by 2050 cause that's supposed to be one of the earliest dates for the technological singularity!!

And to whoever mentioned skynet, i'm pretty sure skynet has been the name for a nato satellite program for 30-40 years now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uIzS1uCOcE
^Ray Kurzweil: The Coming Singularity

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Predictions_made_by_Ray_Kurzweil
wiki page

http://www.techi.com/2011/01/ray-kurzweils-tech-predictions-have-been-eerily-accurate/
^Ray Kurzweil's Tech Predictions Have Been Eerily Accurate

T

toughmudderdave

For a real dark, sinister, and depressing read in this genre check out Harlan Ellison's "I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream". It's a short story about a "master computer" that becomes sentient, wipes out the entire human race save for a handful of individuals just so that it can torture them for it's enjoyment. They decide to kill each other but the computer stops the last lone survivor (the narrator of the story), surgically alters him into a jellylike blob so that he can't harm himself and then subjects him to years of torture and pain.

It's kinda like "Colossus meets Terminator" and was written back in the sixties.

headband 707

Plant whisperer
Veteran
I'm waiting for someone to make either a drone or a consumer grade GPS unit called Skynet.

Computers are already smarter then humans they just have zero imagination to create.
I read the other day they they have now made drones that look like Tuna damn!!!!!:smokey:
headband 707

G

greenmatter

Computers are already smarter then humans they just have zero imagination to create.
I read the other day they they have now made drones that look like Tuna damn!!!!!:smokey:
headband 707

i'm pretty sure i don't want to know the "reasoning" for making a drone that looks like a tuna ............... but i have to ask ...... WHY????

or are we talking about a drone that smells like tuna? ........ and the kardashians are in the news again

headband 707

Plant whisperer
Veteran
i'm pretty sure i don't want to know the "reasoning" for making a drone that looks like a tuna ............... but i have to ask ...... WHY????

or are we talking about a drone that smells like tuna? ........ and the kardashians are in the news again

LOL I would have to assume they are making these drones for the exact same reason they make all the other drones WAR WAR WAR on the world. Fucking world just want to keep spinning they will make that stop!!! lol headband 707:smoker:

W

willyweed

well from now on i am not taking any chances,i am going to start wearing tin foil on my head every time i switch my laptop on, and have a cup of coffee in the other hand ,ready to pour at a moments notice!

S

SeaMaiden

well from now on i am not taking any chances,i am going to start wearing tin foil on my head every time i switch my laptop on, and have a cup of coffee in the other hand ,ready to pour at a moments notice!

Um... you might want to read this, first.

http://berkeley.intel-research.net/arahimi/helmet/

ali2.jpg

lost in a sea

Lifer
Veteran
wow that's amazing,,

"Conclusion

The helmets amplify frequency bands that coincide with those allocated to the US government between 1.2 Ghz and 1.4 Ghz. According to the FCC, These bands are supposedly reserved for ''radio location'' (ie, GPS), and other communications with satellites (see, for example, [3]). The 2.6 Ghz band coincides with mobile phone technology. Though not affiliated by government, these bands are at the hands of multinational corporations.

It requires no stretch of the imagination to conclude that the current helmet craze is likely to have been propagated by the Government, possibly with the involvement of the FCC. We hope this report will encourage the paranoid community to develop improved helmet designs to avoid falling prey to these shortcomings.
"

i always thought that foil would actually be the worst metal for blocking the frequencies that interfere with the brains own wavelengths, but i never thought that it would amplify it by that kind of magnitude..

thanks for that seamaiden!

S

SeaMaiden

It's surprising, yet not surprising, given the subject of discussion and our general propensity for being a community of conspiracy theorists, to one degree or another.

Gotta show some love for the MIT geeks and some unsponsored, off the cuff research, yeah?
That is one of the funniest bits of research I've ever seen. They looked like they had a lot of fun with it!

Hey Seamaiden. You a fan of the ig nobels?

http://www.improbable.com/ig/

Yes!

Wiggs Dannyboy

Last Laugh Foundation
ICMag Donor
Veteran
wow that's amazing,,

"Conclusion

The helmets amplify frequency bands that coincide with those allocated to the US government between 1.2 Ghz and 1.4 Ghz. According to the FCC, These bands are supposedly reserved for ''radio location'' (ie, GPS), and other communications with satellites (see, for example, [3]). The 2.6 Ghz band coincides with mobile phone technology. Though not affiliated by government, these bands are at the hands of multinational corporations.

It requires no stretch of the imagination to conclude that the current helmet craze is likely to have been propagated by the Government, possibly with the involvement of the FCC. We hope this report will encourage the paranoid community to develop improved helmet designs to avoid falling prey to these shortcomings.
"

So...proof that foildog does know what time it is! That dog does look some amazing smart. I wonder if he is a govt spy type doggie?

mrcreosote

Veteran
South Florida,
It's possible that you might be taken more seriously if you preface your remarks with 'I believe' or 'I think' instead of making wild ass statements as if they were unequivocal facts.

What do you say if someone tells you you're wrong about reality and it is just a dislocation of your thinking because your covered with Thetans from outer space and if you sign this contract they can 'clear' you up for a modest fee? After all, they are making the same appeal to authority (Hubbard's Dianetics) as you make with a link to a scientist who posits there is no objective reality.

Wouldn't their perception of 'reality' be just as valid as yours and just as provable?

Just sayin'...Ya know?

southflorida

lives on planet 4:20
Veteran
South Florida,
It's possible that you might be taken more seriously if you preface your remarks with 'I believe' or 'I think' instead of making wild ass statements as if they were unequivocal facts.

What do you say if someone tells you you're wrong about reality and it is just a dislocation of your thinking because your covered with Thetans from outer space and if you sign this contract they can 'clear' you up for a modest fee? After all, they are making the same appeal to authority (Hubbard's Dianetics) as you make with a link to a scientist who posits there is no objective reality.

Wouldn't their perception of 'reality' be just as valid as yours and just as provable?

Just sayin'...Ya know?

that's a good idea...thanks :tiphat:

N

noyd666

computers are not to smart i'm thinking, never does what i ask of it, fukeer.lol.