What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

what guard dog with MY CHILDREN?

Yah`mon

It's to bad we all don't have the skills of Cesar Millan. There's a guy who knows how to lead a pack of dogs!:laughing:

Yah`mon :tiphat:

RetroGrow

Veteran
All I see are some opinionated anecdotes about extreme cases and a website selling dog training dvds :tiphat:

If you're going to make a point with sources at least make em credible

Any statistics on pit attacks aren't accurate.
http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/2863/are-pit-bulls-really-all-that-dangerous

Are they more dangerous than a pug? Yeah, of course they are. But the stuff you're saying about them snapping and randomly attacking people makes you sound like an alarmist.

Really? I am not making up these attacks.
How do you explain this one?
http://www.truecrimereport.com/2011/08/darla_napora_pregnant_pit_bull.php

You are choosing to ignore what you don't want to see.
Google pit bull attacks on children and see how many hits you get.
Google "pictures of children bitten by pit bulls".
Gruesome!
In my city, there have been a number of attacks on people by pits.
Maybe much of the responsibility lies with the owners, but how much consolation is that to parents of children maimed or killed?
Cocker Spaniels are the biteingest dogs, but when a Cocker Spaniel bites you, not much damage is done.
The same can't be said for pits.
When they bite, someone's going to be badly injured or killed.
The pictures don't lie.
Pit bulls can be very sweet.
They also can be very dangerous, and therein lies the problem.
When was the last time you heard of a poodle killing someone?
Never!

SOTF420

Humble Human, Freedom Fighter, Cannabis Lover, Bre
ICMag Donor
Veteran
When was the last time you heard of a poodle warding off the jacker trying to break in your house or the meth head trying to rob or rape your girl? NEVER! :bigeye:

C'mon man enough with the pitbull hate you obviously have not owned one. If you don't like them then fine don't get one but coming from someone who is extremely experienced with them they are one of the most loving & loyal dog breeds on the planet. But all dogs are animals and accidents happen with ALL breeds. The statistics and numbers are all skewed out of wack for Pitbulls trust me it has been went over many times before on dog training & breeding forums and deconstructed. Those statistics are about as useful as statistics about Cannabis being harmful and making kids turn into crackheads. ;)

Regardless of what we all grow & smoke here I think 99.9% of us can agree they are a beautiful breed and very loving kind dogs. Yes they can be ferocious if you fuck with them. :)

hi everyone.

hi everyone.

Yeah, I have two friends that have pits. One of them I would allow my children around, the other I would not. Just by knowing both the dogs and their individual history. I must say the latter of the two is a pit GermShep cross, so....

On the other hand I have friends some I would want my children around, and some that I would not. lol:noway:

I guess any dog you get there is a chance that it could make a bad move, including the doberman I desided on.

HI SOTF420; In one of your earlier posts you mentioned getting the female doberman fixed asap, how big a difference will it make if I dont? Cuz Im falling in love with this dog and if she becomes the dog Im hoping for, I would consider looking for the right male to breed her.(Im a ways away from making that choice) Thanks Bro!:wave:

Hey SteeleSavage, So this pup is doing good except for her daily 30min outburst of over excitedness when she seems to think the rules can be broken at that time. Ya know biting and pulling on my shorts, stomping her front feet. Then as quick as she started she settles back down and starts to listen again. I was thinking she might need more exorcize, ya think?
She also looked like she was hunting my poodle tonight! her ears folded, she got into attack position, was she just playing? or is this a bad sign?
Thank You Steele! :tiphat:

SOTF420

ICMag Donor
Veteran
moresntoil said:
HI SOTF420; In one of your earlier posts you mentioned getting the female doberman fixed asap, how big a difference will it make if I dont? Cuz Im falling in love with this dog and if she becomes the dog Im hoping for, I would consider looking for the right male to breed her.(Im a ways away from making that choice) Thanks Bro!

I have been told by breeders to always get females fixed right away for best temperment, and a very good friend of mine specifically got a female doberman and was instructed to get her fixed asap and that a male would have been too aggressive with the kids possibly and the female was a better choice for a family dog but needed to be fixed young. Now the way I feel about this kind of stuff is I want to breed things, I want them to make more and it breaks my heart to fix any animals but it is what I would call a necessary evil for all the benefits it has including less dogs in the shelters. I will defer to Steele to answer that further on fixing females as pets since he works with these dogs alot and what possibly hormonal or behavioral basis the "get your female doberman fixed" statement holds. Much love & good luck with the puppy! :)

Thanks SOTF420,

Your opinion on getting the dog fixed means alot, Im REALLY considering if breeding her is a good choice or not, to be honest Im leaning more towards getting her fixed:frown:

Maybe I should stick to learning how to breed "other things" :)

Last edited:

paladin420

FACILITATOR
Veteran
Most trainers I kno prefer to do any fixing after their first heat for temperment reasons. And yes sir those bursts of excitement can be tempered with some exercise. Great time to grab the fav toy and play HARD...

IME pro dogs are high energy, the more of that energy you can use the better. Exercise is a total must. A dalmatian can run 50 miles in a day, And love every step...
Good luck

paladin, thanks friend.

I need to get my back yard fenced in asap. got the money but my backs REALLY fucked up, so I need to get some friends together and get it done before my back surgery...alot of yard, lots of back breaking work, but thats something I signed up for once I picked up the pup, ohwell its got to be done.

thanks bro, Ill get it done!;)

Yah`mon

Hey more - I think your better of leaving the breeding to the experts. You yourself said your not an experienced dog person.

Females can be more aggressive during heat and with pups around.
I think your better of getting a handle on this female, and perhaps getting another from the same breeder further down the road, when you might be ready for such an endeavor.

I recently saw a pick of a doberman with non cropped ears and tail... looks like a total different dog. :laughing:

supermanlives

Veteran
alot of high energy dogs have gotten a bad rap at times. growing up i remember the doberman crazyness. i had 2. i too have been debating having my girl fixed. i keep getting told not doing so can have increased health issues but nothing specific.how much time do i have to get her fixed? she is like 4 1/2 months now

HighDesertJoe

COME ON PEOPLE NOW
Veteran
alot of high energy dogs have gotten a bad rap at times. growing up i remember the doberman crazyness. i had 2. i too have been debating having my girl fixed. i keep getting told not doing so can have increased health issues but nothing specific.how much time do i have to get her fixed? she is like 4 1/2 months now

I lost my German Shepherd to breast cancer, It's supposed to be common for un spaded female GS the vet said the only way around it would have been getting her fixed before her first heat. I'm very sorry I didn't I miss her so much.
I think all female dogs might be in the same boat but to what degree is up to a vet to tell you.
Good Luck all

SOTF420

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Maybe this can put it into perspective a bit, how does your girlfriend or wife act when she is on the rag? Dogs really are no different and their behavior is very instinctive & hormonal in addition to anything you teach them. If she is going to be the cuddly loving family pet their is no reason to not fix her and ultimately she will likely be a happier more stable mannered dog as a result I believe and she also will have less hormone related health complications according to many vet's and breeders the dogs that are fixed are healthier long term. :tiphat:

-

HighDesertJoe, sorry to hear about your friend much love to you & her memory my brother. I miss my pitbull from my childhood like the deserts miss the rain, lost her to cancer too years ago and always been missing her since. I know she is in puppy heaven though, you have probably heard that all dog's goto heaven! :)

jd4083

Veteran
Unless you are a professional dog trainer or have one on the payroll, you have no business attack/"guard"-training any dog. You will end up with a lawsuit or a dead kid before you get any protection out of that scenario.

jd4083

Veteran
Also, the pit bull = murderdog misconception needs to get laid to rest already. They are no more likely to attack and injure a person or other animal than any other dog if they are properly trained and provided with adequate attention and love. Chaining a powerful, energetic dog to a tree all day and then beating it when it acts out shortly before chaining it up again is obviously going to result in a dog with some pent-up aggression, and this is solely the owner's fault, not the dog's. That said, if a dog ever were to bite a child, I feel it should be put down without question (humanely, that is)...but if it was raised improperly and that was the reason it attacked someone, the owner should be put down first, very slowly and painfully.

Then again, I own a pit (mix), so maybe I'm just biased. After all, look how vicious this crazy bitch looks...hide yo kids, hide yo wife....

8eOFn.jpg

G

guest3854

Keeping yer animal worked is gonna make for less destructive behavior. Tire tha mutha fucka out...

Regarding fixing yer dog... In my case I already knew what i'd be doing with tha gyp; man work and a brood bitch... And waited on tha litter fer over a yr. You should already know what her job will be and if her quality is worthy to breed. Many folks'll be blinded by their own likes and such, but there's no point in lying to yer self 'bout this... Be honest with yerself, yer goals and what you see from yer dog. I.e. my goal fer my current bitch was to market to law enforcement... Being honest with myself, tha bitch is just not suitable fer this type o' work. Fer a working dog, don't fix 'em... Family pet, yup fix em. From my own experiences, I prefer an intact animal...

Steele

Yah`mon

If you have the money, check and see if there's a professional dog trainer near you.

I found this while looking for some in my home state.
Just an example of the types of packages they offer.

Guard (Civil) Dog Training Package:
*Alert on command / Aggression on command
*Bark and guard
*Meet the threat at the door and or, gate
*Outing (stop behaving aggressively)
*Any obedience package can be added
*All breeds welcome

This package is designed to teach dogs to behave aggressively, but not bite. When this training is complete, your dog will alert you when someone approaches, meet them at the door, and or gate, while showing aggression. This package includes scenario based training, as well as confidence building.

Guard only training is priced at $1000.00

Personal Protection Training Level 1:
*On lead defense of handler
*On lead attack on command
*Bite and Hold training
*Conditioning / Confidence building
*Outing (seize aggression / release bite)

level 1 protection package is designed to teach your dog introductory protection and obedience. When this training is complete your dog will; protect you against an attacker, perform on lead obedience and bite / show aggression on command. This package also includes outing (bite release), scenario based training and confidence building / conditioning.

Level 1 Protection is priced at $15oo.oo

Personal Protection Training Level 2:
*Defense of Handler (on and off lead)
*Attack on Command (on and off lead)
*Tactical Bitework (upper arm, back, arms, legs
*Bite and Hold
*Confidence Building / Fight Conditioning
*Home Invasion Scenario
*Car Jacking Scenario
*Outing (release bite)
*Basic and Advanced Obedience
*Residential Guarding

Level 2 Protection Package is designed to transform your dog into a complete K9 bodyguard. When the training is completed your dog will be able to; protect you, your family and your residence against burglary, kidnappers, stalkers, etc. This program turns dogs into proven man-stoppers.

Level 2 Package priced at $2250.00

Estate Dog Protection Training Package:
*Estate perimeter guarding (patrol grounds)
*Defense of Estate (Estate Invasion)
*Multiple Attacker Scenario's
*Gunfire Conditioning
*Human Detection
*Defense of Handler
*Car Jacking Scenario
*Advanced tactical Bitework
*Outing (release bite)
*Advanced Fight Conditioning

Estate Dog Package is designed to transform your dog into an elite K9 Security Protection dog, capable of defending you estate against high level armed threats. If your looking for the ultimate in K9 protection training, this is it.

Estate Package priced at $3250.00

jd4083

Veteran
If you have the money, check and see if there's a professional dog trainer near you.

I found this while looking for some in my home state.
Just an example of the types of packages they offer.

Guard (Civil) Dog Training Package:
*Bark and guard
*Meet the threat at the door and or, gate
*Outing (stop behaving aggressively)
*Any obedience package can be added
*All breeds welcome

This package is designed to teach dogs to behave aggressively, but not bite. When this training is complete, your dog will alert you when someone approaches, meet them at the door, and or gate, while showing aggression. This package includes scenario based training, as well as confidence building.

Guard only training is priced at $1000.00

Personal Protection Training Level 1:
*On lead defense of handler
*On lead attack on command
*Bite and Hold training
*Conditioning / Confidence building
*Outing (seize aggression / release bite)

level 1 protection package is designed to teach your dog introductory protection and obedience. When this training is complete your dog will; protect you against an attacker, perform on lead obedience and bite / show aggression on command. This package also includes outing (bite release), scenario based training and confidence building / conditioning.

Level 1 Protection is priced at $15oo.oo

Personal Protection Training Level 2:
*Defense of Handler (on and off lead)
*Attack on Command (on and off lead)
*Tactical Bitework (upper arm, back, arms, legs
*Bite and Hold
*Confidence Building / Fight Conditioning
*Home Invasion Scenario
*Car Jacking Scenario
*Outing (release bite)
*Residential Guarding

Level 2 Protection Package is designed to transform your dog into a complete K9 bodyguard. When the training is completed your dog will be able to; protect you, your family and your residence against burglary, kidnappers, stalkers, etc. This program turns dogs into proven man-stoppers.

Level 2 Package priced at $2250.00

Estate Dog Protection Training Package:
*Estate perimeter guarding (patrol grounds)
*Defense of Estate (Estate Invasion)
*Multiple Attacker Scenario's
*Gunfire Conditioning
*Human Detection
*Defense of Handler
*Car Jacking Scenario
*Advanced tactical Bitework
*Outing (release bite)
*Advanced Fight Conditioning

Estate Dog Package is designed to transform your dog into an elite K9 Security Protection dog, capable of defending you estate against high level armed threats. If your looking for the ultimate in K9 protection training, this is it.

Estate Package priced at $3250.00

snake oil salesmen...even if they properly instruct the dogs, the owners are not going to be trained themselves in how to handle a dog with that sort of training...and somebody's going to get hurt or killed almost invariably

Vash

Ol' Skool
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Every dog is what is trained to be..so please can we just move allong?

:joint:

:yeahthats

I couldn't rep you on your remaining responses, but IMO, you're spot on with ALL of it. You must be reading the same training books I am. This is my opinion.........this stuff about "guard" dog confuses the hell out of me. As far as I'm concerned, if you treat your dog with the same love he gives you, why the hell do you need him to "guard" you? Hes gonna do that AUTOMATICALLY. Hell, I got a 11 year old Chihuahua that "guards" my home like no other. All I need my dog to do is BARK when someone is coming. I can take it from there. All of you who want that GUARD dog....as soon as she/he bites somebody, you've lost them because the authorities will want to take them from you. Every dog mentioned in this thread for "guard" purposes has a menacing stature - THAT is what intimidates people - SIZE. When my little lady barks at people, they laugh at her. If that was a shepherd, dobie, rot, akita, or Pit , people would be a lot more intimidated. The dog could be a pussy, who knows, but the size alone would be enough to consider. Again, all I want my dog to do is bark. I can take it from there.