What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

what guard dog with MY CHILDREN?

Hi everyone, this is my first post on this forum! Just read some really good posts in the "best guard dog" thread.
But Im still not sure so, let me ask specifically about.....

**choosing a home guard dog with a 5yr and 1yr old child? the five year old is pretty frisky with our yorkypoodle(greatwatchdog), and 1yr old is just starting to run around and does bat at the cats and dog every chance he gets. even though we are teaching him not to, ya know...lol

the yorkypoodle barks and growels like he is one bad ass mother, but you know what that amounts to when REALLY needed, nothing
so I really need more of a guard.

**I really want a nice big doberman, should I wait until the kids are older for the doby? and get something else now? **if so what?
my wife doesnt want a pitbull, or a rotty(i wouldnt mind), so those are out.

thanks a bunch!!! moresntoil:wave:

pearlemae

May your race always be in your favor
Veteran
get a Great Dane, they are very large, imposing, and all they have to do is look at you and you cross yhe street. But Great Danes are very loving and not at all the type of breed that bite snaps or has an aggressive bone in their body. My girl is 33 inches at the shoulder and weighs 140 /145. When we go for our daily walk most people cross the street when they see us coming. Danes do need to run daily they need a good half hour of stretching their legs. Danes are a German Mastiff, Mastiff were used in the old days, they watched over the castles lands etc they are always watching outside and always lets me know when someone is outside.

Attachments

• DSCN3597.JPG
    DSCN3597.JPG
    36.7 KB · Views: 15

Tuggo

imho get a lab. Nice size, smart as hell, highly trainable, wifey shouldn't mind. Yep get a lab.

GOT DANK

Veteran
rotty all the way. they have alot of hip problem tho. doberman are not good around kids. they say their brain is way too big for their small head. boxers are great dogs too. if you get a pit, make sure its a puppy. good luck with whatever you get.

rives

Inveterate Tinkerer
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I don't think that there is a better family dog than a boxer. My kids are grown and gone now, but my boxer just stops and watches any kids he sees because he really wants his own kid! He would make a very poor guard dog, however. He would be more than happy to help somebody load everything in sight up in exchange for a little play time. He is a damn good watch dog though - very attentive and let's me know if anyone is about, rarely barking any other time. Works great for me - all I want is to know if someone is there, the rest of it is my job.

I grew up with a German Shepherd, and he was a great guard dog and good with us kids. He was a way more serious dog, though, and nowhere near the same level of fun. The boxers have a joy for life that really has to be seen to be appreciated.

b00m

~No Guts~ ~No Glory~
Mentor
Veteran
English Staffordshire BullTerrier
I have a young kid and our staffy bitch is the best nanny ever, we have had her since 8wks old and is now nearly 3 and I know for a fact if you jump the fence (especially if the kid/s are in the backyard) she will fuck your shit up and die protecting the house and family
Couldn't recommend them enough :good:
picture.php
picture.php

Not my dogs but prime examples of a English Staffordshire BullTerrier
:gday:

ok cool everyone,

They are all sounding nice, my problem is this.
1) I want a dog thats gona really F..k someone up if need be.
2) The dog cant bite one of my children as they walk in the dark to get a drink in the middle of the night, or any other time, EVEN if the child is being too ruff.

I do understand alot of the dogs upbringing by me might influence the dog, and Im not dog trainer for sure, so I can only do my best(just like my kids,lol). and maybe the perfect dog doesnt exsist?

I noticed no one has said doberman yet? interesting, I have some more thinking and reading to do on this one. Alot of good input! thank you!

keep it coming, Thanks

SOTF420

Humble Human, Freedom Fighter, Cannabis Lover, Bre
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I know it's not what you want to hear but there is no better dog with children than a Bull Terrier aka Pitbull they are absolutely excellent and very safe around children provided they are raised with the family and not some previously mistreated rescue dog from the street that has been abused. There really are not many better options although a Golden Retriever or Lab are two other good choices. A Pitbull is not as much of a guard dog as it is a personal protection dog. They can be very aggressive if they are defending their family or "pack" but they may very well watch a robber walk out with your TV while they stand there and wag their tail if you are not home because they don't know better and they are such loving dogs. Now if the person shows fear or aggression towards the Pit then it may react violently but it's really a 50/50 guard dog wise. A darker colored one is best to get as people perceive them to be far more dangerous just from the color.

People who have not grown up with Pits and have not owned them are generally scared shitless of them though and that alone is usually enough to scare off would be robbers. Tell you what though if someone came into your house and tried to hurt you or your family and the Pit caught them doing it they are fucked because it will fight to the death to protect you. They do not feel pain and they do not give up, they will full on attack a grizzly bear head on and not give two shits about the danger if they are protecting you and they love to protect their own. They treat kids like their own but they could lick them to death though possibly so be careful of that! :)

b00m

~No Guts~ ~No Glory~
Mentor
Veteran
Doberman dogs are great guard dogs for sure, as kids me and my sister grew up with the family dobermans and they were awesome but a bit big for little kids but they are protective and have the looks and get go to frack your shit up.
Any dog that you get to become part of your family is going to require some basic training, that old saying "A dog is what you make it" is very true, I'm no dog trainer either but it was quite easy with books on the subject and online dog training info, I recommend taking your new dog to dog school and you both will enjoy it as well as you'll be shown how to train your dog :good:
Wish you the best of luck in finding a good dog for you and your family :D :gday:
:smoke out:

SOTF420

ICMag Donor
Veteran
If you are going to get a Dobie get a female and get her fixed right away :tiphat:

Males are much more aggressive. ;)

BudGood

"Be shapeless, formless, like water..."
Veteran
SOTF420, spot-on post! :yes:

American Staffy's are great dogs. Pitbulls are/were meant more for fighting, AmStaff's are more of a "show" dog, but are absolutely GREAT with kids! I got my Staffy boy when he was about a year old, around 4 years ago. He has had his ears/tail pulled by little kids/babies, been rode on like a horse by em too, has never once showed the slightest bit of aggression. The biggest things kids have to worry about is either getting kissed to death, or getting smacked accidentally by a happy tail! :laughing: :dance013:

Remember, pits and their related breeds were intentionally bred specifically to NOT be human-aggressive, any dogs that did show aggression were not used as breeding stock, and were usually put down immediately. This was because the guy refereeing the dog fight was unknown to both dogs, thus they had no use for pit bulls who would in any way endanger a human, rather than it's opponent. Originally, pits were selectively bred without regard for looks at all, but rather only for ever-increasing ability to fight other pit bulls, and ONLY other pit bulls.

This is why I think a Staffy is a better choice in terms of a guard dog, this is my theory on it: Staffy's have been bred for show (producing dogs that measured up to the adopted breed standard of perfection, physically) for quite a while, while pits have been bred for working form and temperament. This means that in the Staffy lines, they might be a bit more prone to have man-biters, as they haven't culled out any dogs showing aggression towards humans, which in some ways equals a better guard dog. Plus if you raise the dog from a pup with your family, it will always protect you all, with it's own life if necessary!

He was neutered as a puppy, so he retains a lot of the "puppy"-like qualities, but act like you're gonna get stupid with me or my son, and watch him change into a beast immediately! RAWR! :)

^^^^ Alert and watching for any funny business!

^^^^ Remember how I said the tail could be a hazard? LOL! I personally would never clip ears or dock a tail, they're just too expressive with them left intact. Plus, I'm not expecting him to get in any fights, so not really worried about it.

^^^^ He is such a damn good dog! It will break my heart when he goes, I try to make every day a great one for him! Lots of love & lots of attention makes for a very family-oriented guard dog. :)

Get some info on the American Staffordshire Terrier, I'm tellin' ya, they are a GREAT dog! Let your wife read my post too, hell, print it out for her! :wave:

Old Soul

Veteran
Cane Corso, hands down. This is exactly what they are bred for. Their ancestors were Roman War Dogs, and then later were used by Italian farmers to protect their family/estate and to hunt wild boar, which they could take down with one bite. They were even used in arena's to fight against bears/lions as entertainment. They say their bite is stronger than an AmStaff and German Shepherd combined. They get about as tall as a labrador/golden retriever and can weigh around 120-130 lbs. I just got my first one 6 weeks ago, he is almost 14 wks and 25 lbs. They are very smart and obedient, working dogs, very active so they need a lot of exercise. Hope you find what you are looking for.

SOTF420

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Goto google type in nanny dog hit search and see what you come up with ;)

I already know what it says you can read dozens of different websites about it :biggrin:

P

putoneout

I think its generally a good thing to get a young pup that can grow up with the kids present from the start. Dobermans are great dogs, I grew up with one as a little kid.

azad

Buzkashi
Veteran
I have to agree with brotha SOTF420.
I've owned meny pitbulls from various diffrent lines.I mean real deal pitbulls not petbulls.
my daughter has been raised around them for 14yrs and even she is more trusting of them than other breeds.
A guarding breed needs much training for it to do its thing correctly,but a real pitbull knows good from bad and can deal with any threat with the appropriate actions.
I have a 33lbs female at present and she could tackle a 200lbs man with flash speed and tenacious courage unrivalled in the animal kingdom imo...
Please read has much as you can before buying a guard dog,one that'll be around kids.
Im not advocating buying a pitbull just stating the loyalty ive witnessed personally.im not knocking other breeds they all rock in some sense..peace

Latest posts

Latest posts