What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

what guard dog with MY CHILDREN?

Tom Hill

Veteran
Hi again Moresntoil,

It sounds like you have a drivey lil bitch that is very likely to suit your needs well. All that stands between the end goal and now is training, but be careful not to be in too much of a hurry. Many dogs are ruined/broken by pushing them too far into defense too soon - never will a broken dog like that ever reach their original potential. Let her develop more before introducing her to any real defense work, concentrate on developing her prey drive (many of the breeds mentioned in this thread are notorious for lacking the prey drive necessary to do this type of training, at the very least it puts them at a great disadvantage) for now, socialization, and obedience training.

It would be impossible to get too far into this in one thread, but the beginnings of the training for the work you're wanting her to do might start with you enlisting a friend unknown to the dog. Have him dress up in a hoodie or some such. You'll be taking the dog for a walk, when all of the sudden your friend (the decoy) jumps out of the bushes on the path ahead (in the beginning this will be a fair distance off - say 50meters or so) and makes menacing gestures/noises. The dog should bark, or definitely alert, coming forward towards the menace. This needs to be time perfectly with the decoy, so that the first sign of any such above aggression from the dog, the decoy runs like hell. At the same time you're praising her for excellent work, and she's proud as hell, realizing the power she has. Repeat, over and over, turning up the pressure slowly, until the dog really needs to turn up the aggression before the decoy runs off.

The key to all dog training is the dog always wins, never ever pressure her too much or you'll break her, she'll turn to flight and never forget it as an option. The well trained dog has won every battle, every game, and does not know what it means to lose. To accomplish this we need to go very slowly, and be very much in tune with what the dog can handle at her current stage of maturity/training. -Tom

Hi again Moresntoil,

It sounds like you have a drivey lil bitch that is very likely to suit your needs well. All that stands between the end goal and now is training, but be careful not to be in too much of a hurry. Many dogs are ruined/broken by pushing them too far into defense too soon - never will a broken dog like that ever reach their original potential. Let her develop more before introducing her to any real defense work, concentrate on developing her prey drive (many of the breeds mentioned in this thread are notorious for lacking the prey drive necessary to do this type of training, at the very least it puts them at a great disadvantage) for now, socialization, and obedience training.

It would be impossible to get too far into this in one thread, but the beginnings of the training for the work you're wanting her to do might start with you enlisting a friend unknown to the dog. Have him dress up in a hoodie or some such. You'll be taking the dog for a walk, when all of the sudden your friend (the decoy) jumps out of the bushes on the path ahead (in the beginning this will be a fair distance off - say 50meters or so) and makes menacing gestures/noises. The dog should bark, or definitely alert, coming forward towards the menace. This needs to be time perfectly with the decoy, so that the first sign of any such above aggression from the dog, the decoy runs like hell. At the same time you're praising her for excellent work, and she's proud as hell, realizing the power she has. Repeat, over and over, turning up the pressure slowly, until the dog really needs to turn up the aggression before the decoy runs off.

The key to all dog training is the dog always wins, never ever pressure her too much or you'll break her, she'll turn to flight and never forget it as an option. The well trained dog has won every battle, every game, and does not know what it means to lose. To accomplish this we need to go very slowly, and be very much in tune with what the dog can handle at her current stage of maturity/training. -Tom

Thats great info Tom, thanks so much.

Yeah she does seem to have a real strong drive.

Im a bit unsure when or if I should get her fixed, shes six months now but hasnt had her first heat yet. Im just afraid that Im gona get her fixed and later kick myself in the ass for not breeding her. But then again Im no breeder, just your everyday dog owner.

Some days shes such a great dog I just think, "damn, everyone(maybe not everyone) should have one of these, and it would be really cool to breed her to watch her and her pups" Then ofcourse I would get attached to the pups just about the time I would have to part with them.

Several people here on IC have given me great advice about not breeding her, its just hard to swallow because it would be so cool to do. Maybe selfish on my part. Im 90% leaning toward getting her fixed, and my wife is dead set against it. Its just that 10% I cant seem to shake.

Anyways, so now I have to find a friend thats willing to be that guy that jumps out of the bushes, lol! And like you said Ill take it slow and easy with her.

Thanks again Tom :wave:

C

Classy@Home

Thats great info Tom, thanks so much.

Yeah she does seem to have a real strong drive.

Im a bit unsure when or if I should get her fixed, shes six months now but hasnt had her first heat yet. Im just afraid that Im gona get her fixed and later kick myself in the ass for not breeding her. But then again Im no breeder, just your everyday dog owner.

Some days shes such a great dog I just think, "damn, everyone(maybe not everyone) should have one of these, and it would be really cool to breed her to watch her and her pups" Then ofcourse I would get attached to the pups just about the time I would have to part with them.

Several people here on IC have given me great advice about not breeding her, its just hard to swallow because it would be so cool to do. Maybe selfish on my part. Im 90% leaning toward getting her fixed, and my wife is dead set against it. Its just that 10% I cant seem to shake.

Anyways, so now I have to find a friend thats willing to be that guy that jumps out of the bushes, lol! And like you said Ill take it slow and easy with her.

Thanks again Tom :wave:
IMVHO - stitch that bitch (dog, not wife)...

Breeding best left to experts, lot's of good breeders out there...

Good luck...

jd4083

Veteran
IMVHO - stitch that bitch (dog, not wife)...

Breeding best left to experts, lot's of good breeders out there...

Good luck...

Indeed...don't contribute to overpopulation by breeding just because you "think they would be cool" or whatever the reasoning is...

Ya, I know that its not a good idea.

Like I said selfish on my part I guess, and I really dont want to clean up anymore dog shit than I am now.

So, In a few weeks Ill have the cash to have it done. maybe she will have had her first period by then. Ive read both wait until after her period, and do it before her period. Not really sure what is best or why but I guess it will be when I have the money, either way.

Thanks Guys! your helping to shrink that 10%. to be honest I have enough in my life to worry about right now, maybe later in life...

Mtn. Nectar

Veteran
Tom speaks word....as I have been through literally hundreds of dogs over the yr's ..hunting/working...and few make the cut.................kinda' like ganja varieties.....

if you like european breeds ya may want to look at the Dutch Shepherds......

I have a Presa Canario male goin on 2 yr's old that is fittin' the bill nicely.....

best to ya in your quest..........

Dawg on......

V

Vampire

German Sheppards are excellent family pets although I think any breed or mixed blends in well if they're raised in the same family from a puppy.

pearlemae

May your race always be in your favor
Veteran
Welll I have a Great Dane she goes about 150 stands 33 inches at the shoulder. She is with out a doubt the sweetest dog I've ever had, but you will never be able to come in my house if I don't let you. When a dog can just about look you in the eye it doesn't need to be aggressive, she is very territorial and sees every thing. Door to door guys just back up when she sticks her head out and it waist high.

openyoureyes

english bull terrier, amazing with kids ect.
their :
fast
strong
clever
lock jaw
imposing
ebt's for life, or any bull breed will be the best!!!!!

peace

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran

I was laying on a friends couch w/a badly busted ankle in a cast, my springer spaniel Trixie was next to me on the floor w/a rubber cheeseburger squeek toy my mom gave her for christmas. my friends cousin stopped by unexpectedly w/his doberman bitch (Dutchess) & 4 month old puppy in tow, that pup (Peewee) came into the living room first and sat there for a moment before focusing on that burger toy and moving towards it, my dog Trixie sprung up snapping at Peewee who ran away yipping. Next thing I hear is Dutchess coming into the living room her paws pounding down the hallway as she approached, here comes trouble I'm thinking; Dutchess comes in and looks at me for a moment, looks at Trixie and then looks down at that burger, Trixie jumped her shit like she was a junkyard dog teeth gnashing as she charged. Dutchess tucked what little tail she had between her legs and got the fuck outta dodge.

That cheeseburger's included in Trixies memorial shrine along with her favorite fetching stick and her ashes.......