What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

What do you feed your dog?

Wiggs Dannyboy

Last Laugh Foundation
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I don't have a dog at the moment, but I'm definitely a big dog lover, and read articles about dogs whenever I come upon them. I love all dogs, even the little furry footballs, but I am most a fan of big dogs. One of my favorite breeds is the Bernese Mtn. Dog. I discovered some years ago that this breed had a life expectancy of only about 6 years, mostly due to cancer. More recently, I found out that almost all large dog breeds also suffer from extremely short life spans.

I found this website a few days ago. I searched this thread to see if anybody had mentioned it yet, and I don't think it has been mentioned yet. Check it out...it speaks about the benefit of a natural diet like BARF, but also is asking folks to sign up and collect data about your pooch and its diet in a way to solve the problem of early death.

Here's the link:

http://www.bigolddogs.com/

k-s-p

Veteran
I just started my 6 +/- year old Labrador Retriever on Blue Buffalo Wilderness, the Salmon kibble. About a week into the bag and I'm pretty sure I can see differences in appearance and energy level. He's crazy about it, too.

Thanks for the link WDB, I'm going to look into that article.

Cartel530

Veteran
Raw meats, fruit and vegi mix for breakfast. Taste of the wild or Wilderness from dinner. You will def notice a difference when you upgrade their diet.

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran

I'm feeding them IAM's adult for a change from Canidae's, they're the same price ($60+tx) but the IAM's is 33#s & the Canidae is 44#s, that's an exact 25% less for my money on this bag; I do this because my veterinarian sells the IAM's and he cuts me some deep discounts on seeing my dogs, sometimes he just comps the whole visit, some other times he just takes my word on my dogs ailment and sells me the meds w/o even a visit.

OK! so what did I feed them tonight???

they each got their usual evening meal of 2/3 cup of kibble plus I cut up an odd cut butt steak from a recent butchering, so they each got about 1/4# of steak diced up & mixed into that kibble.

Scooby comes over to thank the big dog after each meal, 2X's a day, it's her ritual, her pack instincts, the big dog is always thanked for providing, Alice gives thnx about 65% of the time, tonight after her steak treat she opted to lay down, the big dog's happy if she's content.......

tomorrow evening's meal will be the same, the package I defrosted for them had 2 steaks in it, lucky dogs :)

and yes, the following gif was the best I could do on short notice:

pi5XgzeiB.gif

N

NonDa

Old thread, but I use Orijen brand because they source their meats locally and have a very clean track record. Many more good things to say about them...

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
whatever she wants....yeehaw.. she ate my fucking salad last night ..damn blue cheese dressing!!!!!!!!.. then she snuck into another room as I came back...she looked guilty when I tracked her down with the empty paper plate...she is in heat so I gave her a break ...do dogs get pms? she don't seem bloated or crampy...lol

Green Squall

Blue Buffalo most of the time.

I give him a hard boiled egg in the afternoon. And a few nights a week I'll make him a dinner. Usually brown rice, peas and a protein.

ALB3RT

most of the time i feed my dog with home cooked meat with rice,vegetables & fruits...
also with dry food Orijen sometime and conserve Nuevo and Rinti
(German Shephard x Belgian Malinoa) x Belgian Malinoa

Green Squall

Tonight my dog is getting leftover steak, quinoa, peas and ground flax seed. I bet if I did the math this would actually be cheaper than the premium dog food I buy him.

B

bigganjabud

He's getting rice and roast chicken with potatoes and gravy at the moment

Cake and custard for desert

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran

Suzi & I are enjoying some baked chicken right now, had a very late lunch and now an even later supper time :dunno:

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
smaller dogs...lol....yeehaw..whatever she wants ..lots of frozen ribs that I heat with a torch quickly to sear em...