What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

What do you feed your dog?

wisco61

I've got a St. Bernard/Rottweiler mix and she has been eating raw since I got her. She likes her chicken quarters, but LOVES beef heart and sardines. Pork, not so much yet.

joe fresh

Mentor
Veteran
I see alot of dog owners on here..

I see alot of dog owners on here..

specifically big dogs...(rotts, pitts, mastifs...ect)

just curious as to what brand food you feed your dog? if not brand name but home made please share your info...

ive noticed that most(90%) of dog foods dont use real mean, but rather use a meat "meal"...like chicken meal, lamb meal....ect, and then load their products with grains...when do you ever see a dog eat grains...imo this is mostly filler with small benefits for the dogs.......so im looking to change dog food...

im looking for something with more real meat and protien...

so what do you guys feed your big dogs?

Aeroguerilla

I’m God’s solider, devil’s apostle
Veteran
I was rolling with Innova EVO for awhile until proctor and gamble bought them. now i just use the science diet dogs fuckin love it. for $60 a bag they should!

joe fresh

Mentor
Veteran
I was rolling with Innova EVO for awhile until proctor and gamble bought them. now i just use the science diet dogs fuckin love it. for $60 a bag they should!

i was using the Royal canine big breed brand...80$ for a 16kg bag...i go through one every 2 weeks or so...price is not an issue, lol

RudeDog

Veteran
Not got a big dog, Terrier. If you can get hold of green tripe, any dog will love it. It's still got the undigested/part digested grass from the cows gut in it. I wouldn't recommend cooking it though.

Racheal Ray has a brand of dogfood that is as good as all other top brands. Such as purina1 and sciencediet and at a decent cost! Allways read the ingredients more money doesnt mean better qaulity! Remember all corn meal is a Mon$@*to product!

high life 45

Seen your Member?
Veteran
Taste of the Wild. Great stuff. No grains and Human grade meat not just leftovers. Look up the ingredients in all of the major dog foods and you will think twice about giving your dog that SHIT(http://www.naturalnews.com/012647.html). and science diet is terrible.
:good:Agent smoke alot you have just earned my respect.

I am not trying to dis anyone feeding science diet, nutro, purina one or any name brand foods. I know you care for your dogs and you are feeding what you know to be best, however these brands all have soy corn or wheat products in them. If you research you will find better brands. Go to the pet store and look at the ingredients its nasty.

Taste of the wild and Solid Gold and Fromm are all top quality foods, purina one and nutro, well pretty much all the name brands have corn, wheat, or soy in them, not good for your pups. Soy corn and wheat are almost always gmo! I have seen dogs health turn around just from diet change. My friends foster dogs from the pound and I got them to change to solid gold and all the mange on all the dogs went away in one week. My girlfriends neighbors dog was about to be put down, hair was falling out, the shits, and overall poor health the "vet" had no answers...again diet change and within one week completely different dog,
I switch from solid gold to taste of the wild, ocassionally i mix in some fromm.
There is also a raw brand of dog food that is frozen. It is very spendy.

Ingredients in taste of the wild puppy;
Bison, lamb meal, sweet potatoes, egg product, pea protein, peas, potatoes, canola oil, tomato pomace, roasted venison, roasted bison, flaxseed, potato fiber, natural flavor, ocean fish meal, salmon oil (a source of DHA), salt, choline chloride, dried chicory root, yucca schidigera extract, tomatoes, blueberries, raspberries, dried Enterococcus faecium fermentation product, dried Lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation product, dried Lactobacillus casei fermentation product, dried Lactobacillus plantarum fermentation product, dried Trichoderma longibrachiatum fermentation extract, vitamin E supplement, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate (vitamin B1), manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, biotin, niacin, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, riboflavin (vitamin B2), vitamin D supplement, folic acid.

Ingredients in Solid Gold wolfcub(puppy);
Bison, Ocean Fish Meal, Brown Rice, Millet, Cracked Pearled Barley, Rice Bran, Canola Oil, Tomato Pomace, Flaxseed, Natural Flavoring, Salmon Oil (source of DHA), Choline Chloride, Taurine,
Dried Chicory Root, Parsley Flakes, Pumpkin Meal, Almond Oil, Sesame Oil, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Thyme, Blueberries, Cranberries, Carrots, Broccoli, Vitamin E Supplement, Iron Proteinate, Zinc Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Potassium Iodide, Thiamine Mononitrate, Manganese Proteinate, Manganous Oxide, Ascorbic Acid, Vitamin A Supplement, Biotin, Calcium Panthothenate, Manganese Sulfate, Sodium Selenite, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Vitamin B12 (Cyanocobalamin), Riboflavin, Vitamin D Supplement, Folic Acid
Both of these sound like a gourmet meal with a mutlivitamin, and I eat a raw organic vegan diet. lol.

ingredients in purina one puppy;
Chicken, brewers rice, corn gluten meal, poultry by-product meal, whole grain corn, oat meal,animal fat preserved with mixed-tocopherols (form of Vitamin E), soy flakes, soybean meal, glycerin, animal digest, calcium phosphate, fish oil (source of DHA), calcium carbonate, salt, caramel color, potassium chloride, Vitamin E supplement, choline chloride, zinc sulfate, L-Lysine monohydrochloride, ferrous sulfate, sulfur, manganese sulfate, niacin, Vitamin A supplement, calcium pantothenate, thiamine mononitrate, copper sulfate, riboflavin supplement, Vitamin B-12 supplement, pyridoxine hydrochloride, garlic oil, folic acid, Vitamin D-3 supplement, calcium iodate, biotin, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of Vitamin K activity), sodium selenite.

ingredients in science diet puppy;
Whole Grain Corn, Chicken By-Product Meal, Corn Gluten Meal, Liver Flavor, Dried Beet Pulp, Flaxseed, Dried Egg Product, Soybean Oil, Animal Fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols and citric acid), Fish Oil, Lactic Acid, Potassium Citrate, Iodized Salt, Choline Chloride, DL-Methionine, Natural Flavor, Dicalcium Phosphate, vitamins (L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (source of vitamin C), Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin, Thiamine Mononitrate, Vitamin A Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin, Folic Acid, Vitamin D3 Supplement), Vitamin E Supplement, L-Lysine, minerals (Manganese Sulfate, Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Copper Sulfate, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite), L-Tryptophan, Taurine, preserved with Mixed Tocopherols and Citric Acid, L-Carnitine, Phosphoric Acid, Beta-Carotene, Rosemary Extract.

When they dont tell you what kind of animal fat I become skeptical. And what is animal digest?
Well according to wikipedia:A cooked-down broth made from specified or unspecified parts of animals (depending on the type of digest used). If the source is unspecified (e.g. "Animal" or "Poultry", the animals used can be obtained from any source, so there is no control over quality or contamination. Any kind of animal can be included: "4-D animals" (dead, diseased, disabled, or dying prior to slaughter), goats, pigs, horses, rats, miscellaneous roadkill, animals euthanized at shelters, restaurant and supermarket refuse and so on

Basically that dead cat or skunk you saw along the freeway could very well end up in your dogs food if it has animal digest.
Purina one has animal Digest.

Nutro also has corn wheat and soy products in their dry food. I couldnt find a list of ingredients per product just all the ingredients they use for all of their foods.

If you have a local grocery that has hormone and anitbiotic free meats then ask them for ground chicken necks or cattle bones, I give them to my lab frozen (otherwise he eats them it in about two bites) my heeler doesnt really like them though. Great for their joints. You can also cook them a bit and drizzle the grease into their kibble. I give them to my pups raw though.

Always switch food gradually. If you have ran out of your old brand and are switching you can cook up rice and blend it in. Again gradual transitions are easier on your pets digestive systems. If you are low on food or cant afford to get some rice is a safe option.

I was homeless and couch surfing while hustling with my lab when he was a puppy. I always managed to spend $50 on Solid Gold wolf cub. I always made sure he had the premium feed. He was eating better than me sometimes.

high life 45

Seen your Member?
Veteran
http://www.4dogma.com/food_nutrition.html

found this on www.4dogma.com they seem to have a pretty good idea of whats going on in dog kibble

Foods we feel you should try to avoid and why...

This is a brief list of foods containing questionable ingredients, along with what specifically makes them unworthy of canine consumption. There are many more foods out there that would fit easily into this category. If you're not sure about one, just read the ingredient label.

IAMS Lamb & Rice: Brewer's Rice, Corn Meal, Chicken By-Product Meal
IAMS CHUNK / Mini CHUNKS: Corn Meal, Chicken By-Product Meal
EUKANUBA Lamb & Rice: Brewers Rice, Corn Meal
EUKANUBA Adult Maintenance: Chicken By-Product Meal, Corn Meal, Brewers Rice
SCIENCE DIET Adult Maintenance: Chicken By-Product Meal, Corn Meal, Animal Fat, Brewers Rice
SCIENCE DIET Nature's Best: Brewers Rice, Corn Gluten Meal, Soybean Meal, Animal Fat
*Only the 3rd out of the first 6 ingredients is a meat product!
SCIENCE DIET Lamb & Rice: Brewers Rice, Corn Gluten Meal, Animal Fat
NUTRO Natural Choice Lamb & Rice: Poultry Fat
NUTRO Max: Poultry Fat, Corn Gluten Meal
NUTRO Natural Choice Ultra: Poultry Fat
NATURES RECIPE Adult Lamb: Lamb Digest
NATURES RECIPE Venison: Poultry Fat, Animal Digest
BIL-JAC Select Adult: Chicken By-Products (#1 ingredient), Chicken By-Product Meal
NUTRA NUGGETS Adult: Chicken By-Product Meal (#1 ingredient)
NUTRA NUGGETS Lamb: Brewers Rice, Turkey By-Product Meal
PURINA ONE Lamb: Brewers Rice, Corn Gluten Meal, Poultry By-Product Meal, Animal Fat / Digest
PURINA ONE Beef: Brewers Rice, Corn Gluten Meal, Poultry By-Product Meal, Beef Tallow
PURINA ONE Chicken: Same reasons as above
PRO PLAN Chicken: Brewers Rice, Poultry By-Product Meal, Beef Tallow, Corn Bran
BENEFUL: Chicken By-Product Meal, Corn Gluten Meal, Beef Tallow, Sugar, Sorbitol, Animal Digest
PEDIGREE Complete: Meat/Bone Meal, Corn Gluten Meal, Chicken By-Product Meal, Animal Fat
*Contains 2 Chemical Preservatives
KIBBLES'N BITS Homestyle: More Hydrochloric Acid and Propylene Glycol than Chicken

RidgeRebel

I have a large blue nose pit bull, one year old. I feed her Diamond Large Breed Puppy Food.

Protein: 27% Fat: 15%
Calories: 3,656 kcal/kg (342 kcal/cup) Calculated ME

Ingredients
Lamb, lamb meal, egg product, cracked pearled barley, millet, ground rice, pea protein, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), oatmeal, potatoes, tomato pomace, flaxseed, natural flavor, ocean fish meal, salmon oil (source of DHA), potassium chloride, salt, choline chloride, dried chicory root, dried kelp, carrots, peas, apples, tomatoes, blueberries, spinach, dried skim milk, cranberries, rosemary extract, parsley flake, yucca schidigera extract, L-Carnitine, dried Enterococcus faecium fermentation product, dried Lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation product, Lactobacillus acidophilus, Lactobacillus casei and Lactobacillus plantarum, dried Trichoderma longibrachiatum fermentation extract, vitamin E supplement, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate, manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, biotin, niacin, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, riboflavin, vitamin D supplement, folic acid.

G

Guest 150314

i feed the pup orijen, 80% meat and no grains. good stuff

Fresh boneless chicken, chicken meal, fresh boneless salmon, turkey meal, herring meal, russet potato, peas, sweet potato, fresh boneless turkey, fresh whole eggs, fresh chicken liver, fresh boneless lake whitefish, fresh boneless walleye, sun-cured alfalfa, pea fiber, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), organic kelp, pumpkin, chicory root, carrots, spinach, turnip greens, apples, cranberries, blueberries, licorice root, angelica root, fenugreek, marigold flowers, sweet fennel, peppermint leaf, chamomile, dandelion, summer savory, rosemary, vitamin A, vitamin D3, vitamin E, niacin, thiamine mononitrate, riboflavin, d-calcium pantothenate, pyridoxine, folic acid, biotin, vitamin B12, zinc proteinate, iron proteinate, manganese proteinate, copper proteinate, selenium yeast, Lactobacillus acidophilus, Enterococcus faecium.

Art Vandelay

I feed my pups kirkland chicken and rice, so far so good one mutt and a English short haired pointer. The points get gas from both ends,pretty funny he will come up for some love and burp in your face. Smells awful but funny!

Latest posts

Latest posts