What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

What do you feed your dog?

HighDesertJoe

COME ON PEOPLE NOW
Veteran
My pooch doesn't eat anywhere near as good of food as she used to. 30# was $45. Now she gets crap food. 50# for $20. Tough times for the dog.
Trust me your dog is going to LOVE you no matter what you feed it. I worked at a feed store a Purina sales rep said all dog food is made to look and appeal to the owner not the dog.
Dogs lick they own BUTT'S for gods sake.
They'll eat that $20.00 bag of food like it's the most delicious thing they have ever eaten and lick and sniff some butt for dessert.

supermanlives

Veteran
what do you feed your pet?

what do you feed your pet?

my last dog got everything dry food , wet food and my food LOL. i have been told dry is better as it helps scrape tartar off the dogs teeth. any favorite brands?

G

Guest3498

My puppy gets innova evo - red meat formula

evo_red_meat_large_bite_large.jpg

It's a premium pet food, zero grain. Made of all meat, veggies, and fruit. It's like a doggie filet mignon :joint:

He gets no wet food, it's bad for their teeth

rasputin

The Mad Monk
Veteran
I've used Wellness and Blue Buffalo. That EVO looks good Vado, I'm gonna show that to my brother for his pup.

For their teeth, pick up a bar or two of the greenies, they're long green treats that look like a toothbrush.

rives

Inveterate Tinkerer
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
My compadre' gets dry food, supplemented with vegetables, fruit, and unseasoned chicken or beef. These last items are used for our nightly training sessions. He has been on Canidae Chicken & Rice almost since I got him. The following site is very helpful.

http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/

supermanlives

Veteran
thanks guys. i just happend to pick wellness when i got my chewtoys. it just looked good reading the label. expenisve tho 16$ 6 lbs. my last dog was fed pedigree and benifull and iams

nattynattygurrl

Natalie J. Puffington
Veteran
After the pet food poisonings a couple years ago, I've been even more vigilant about what I feed my babies. That was incredibly scary! But, at least it seems to have brought more awareness to what is going into our companion's food! And as a result, it seems like there are a lot of healthy options and more companies seem to be devoting themselves to healthy, holistic dog/cat foods, rather than the cheap, 'fast food' style pet foods, that once completely dominated the pet food market.

The most important thing is that it's grain free, (particularly corn), and high in protein. (This particularly true for cats.) The idea is to get as close as possible to what they would eat in the wild, (which also goes for kitties); therefore, many people advocate for completely raw diets.

Brands: One of the best brands out there now is Nature's Variety; Mesa feeds his pup their dry kibble formula: Prairie; it is exceptional for pups with allergies. They have lots of different flavors and formulas, including various frozen, raw formulas, which are super easy: thaw and serve; but, these can be pretty pricey, especially feeding a big pup like a german shepard. (A lot of people do part kibble, part frozen, raw.) Another really good frozen, raw brand is Paw Naturaw. When I had pups, I made most of their food myself: chicken, liver, peas, carrots, apples, oatmeal, occasionally some brown rice, etc. Eventually I began incorporating the Honest Kitchen's dehydrated, raw food, which made it a lot less work and didn't take up half of your freezer or spoil as fast as the frozen raw.

Cat Food Brands: I fed mine Evo/Innova, until they were bought out by P&G; we then switched to Halo, Spot's Stew, and finally switching to the Taste of the Wild, venison and salmon flavor. It's high in protein, grain free, w/ taurine. Plus, my picky kittens just love it!! Not only that, but Halo and Taste of the Wild are not very expensive compared to the cheap, "big" brands you find at the supermarket. As for wet food, I give Gold Star, to Jelly, the tuna lover and Weruva's "paw lickin' chicken", to Milli, my little chicken lover; (WeRuvA chose the cutest names for their wet food flavors!) It's human grade, which is particularly important when it comes to wet food.

Thankfully, there are lots of good options now! :)
Enjoy your new pal, Supermanlives!!
:wave:

Last edited:

supermanlives

Veteran
i been researching what to feed your dog and came across a dont feed list . with my last dog i failed at. onions,garlic,fat,bones,highly seasond meat and a few other things. wont happen this time

i feed mine a raw diet used to feed dry biscuits but since i started the raw diet my dogs are in alot better health they get feed 80% raw meat always freeze beef for 24 hours before use 10% raw uncooked bones keeps teeth in top condition cooked bones are harder and can splinter 5% offal heart and that and 5% liver and i dont feed them a couple of times a week keeps them nice and healthy

nattynattygurrl

Natalie J. Puffington
Veteran
"raw uncooked bones keeps teeth in top condition cooked bones are harder and can splinter." -Alwaystoned
That's another really good tip, Alwaystoned! :good:
"dont feed list: onions,garlic,fat,bones,highly seasoned meat..." -Supermanlives
Add chocolate, grapes and raisins to that list, Supermanlives! :good:
I didn't know about grapes/raisins until a few years ago, and I'm sure my girls probably ate a bunch each over their lifetimes, before I found this out; but if I remember correctly, (and that's a big if), they are bad for their kidney function...

"damn if i die and come back as a dog i hope your my owner." -Supermanlives
:biglaugh:
Thanks! :) My entire world revolved around those pups of mine! :) I would have done anything to have had more time with them. They were rottie mixes, sisters: Bella and Jones...They both became a little overweight, (particularly Bella, who had no self control and was a lazy bones, who would rather sit by me than run and play, lol.), so I did some research to help her loose her pudge...it took a while for her to loose it, but she finally did once I started making their food myself; it helped her a lot in her old age. I wish I had known what I know now, from the get go, so that they wouldn't have had to battle their weight in the first place. :rolleyes:

Feed them well, so you get every second with them you can!! :cathug:
Be well, everyone!
:wave:

Grass Lands

Veteran
Hey man be careful with the higher priced brands like wellness and buffalo..we've tried both and with bad results...while talking to the vet he said he doesn't like to suggest or recommend the higher priced foods...just due to sitting on the shelf longer....we switched our boys or to a food that Costco carrys...no wheat, soy or corn...the boys eat it up...the name is Vitality...not sure if they have a puppy formula...anyways bro, take care of that pup...

i feed them like 2 to 3 days in a row then give them a day off in the wild dogs would go days between feeds trust it keeps them in tip top condition

supermanlives

Veteran
growing up dogs got everything but chocolate and lived long healthy lives. so i never bothered to research more. boy was i wrong maybe they would of lived a bit longer if their owner did some research.i am now older , wiser and have the internet. no excuses

G

Guest3498

Evo/Innova, until they were bought out by P&G

No shit huh? I'm going to have to look into that.

Natty you seem to be pretty knowledgeable about the good dog foods - familiar with timberwolf organics at all? I've heard that it's good stuff and it's pretty available to me, what do you think?