What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

what do U buy a man who is dieing???

w2008

sorry to hear your news, i recently went through the same with my father, the last thing i bought him was a lift up recliner chair, so he could stand by himself, to get his walker. i think it gave him a bit of dignity back, in that he was more self reliant. he loved it, but i went home happy and he passed the next day. but i know he loved it, cheers oz

FullyMeltedDome

Veteran
OK.... little background....I was luck enuff too marry Canadian...
a wonderful woman that has since forever changed my life...
BLESSED I am....
Over time i have become deeeper and deeeper involved w/ her family..... so fast~forward.... years..... and Now together....
I am helping my wife face the long miserable wasting away....and inevitable DEATH.....of a family member
See her father has stage 3 terminal Cancer in 3 area's of his body... Brain, lung, and back.....he's been fighting a losing battle for over 18 months now...... and has withered away now to almost nothing....barley ABLE to function more than a few hours aday....
Lost more than 100 lbs over that time... and had to have shrunk by @ least 4 inch's in height and stature....old age has gripped him and will not let go...

So as the inevitable approaches and the family ralleys for the last few gatherings and decisions that need to be made....while yet finding the time to embrace god and family together.....the lot of them is unclear in direction and "what next".....
IT's almost like they just hurry up... and wait to see when he will die....

So as the holidays approach and the usual chaos ensues.....
I ask U what kinda gift does a dieing man need other than new life...or hope.... and that can't be bought.....{we tried Vegan juice diets and Hyperbaric medicine, chemo and the lot of it}

which puts me at a loss... for the holidaze.....
what do U gift a 80+ year old dieing man????????????
:tiphat:Sorry to hear Bro.I know what you and your Family are going through first hand.My StepFather died of Luekemia.One day he went to the Doctors cuz he thought he had a cold or the Flu or something. The Doctor told him he had Luekemia.Two weeks later,after losing a bunch of weight and seeming to age years over night, he was Dead.There is no possesion that would make him happy or he would need.Its Family.Family being there spending the last days with him.Knowing that,his Family will be strong together.It was hard to be there watching that,as i know it is for you and your Family.Just be there to tell him how much you love him and i think thats the best gift he could recieve.That and knowing his Family will be ok and always be together looking out for one another,thats just my opinion.He and your Family will be in my prayers Bro.Peace and Stay Safe,DancesWithWeed:respect:

FullyMeltedDome

Veteran
There's been some heat in this thread for someone suggesting bong hits for a terminal lung cancer patient are innapropriate..
If someone is dying and Smoking could ease there pain and give them peace even for justa little bit,im all for it and i bet they would be too.Though Vapn or edibles is an option too,a fat doob to someone who is dying is something no one needs to concern themselves with besides the one in pain.IMO.Ive seen it.I gave my StepFather who was straight as an arrow a joint of SourBubble when the Morphine the Hospice was giving him wasnt doin crap.And he looked at me and smiled,and said"WOW,i can feel that all the way down my legs".That made me so happy to see.After a few days the smoking was too much n i made him brownies with ECSD Kif,and for the few short days he had left,he was feeling the pain just a bit less.I dont want to say something like i read like,cocaine or hookers or something dumb, but is trying some Med MJ an option for him?

b00m

~No Guts~ ~No Glory~
Mentor
Veteran
My sympathy, Yort.

There are some good suggestions here.
Particularly listening.
If talking is not a net loss for him.

But I can offer a suggestion for an "under the tree gift" that won't appear trivial.

Gather all the best photos you can find of your wife and her siblings.

Take some time to arrange them in appropriate, (not always chronological), order and write them to a digital picture frame.
I can see that this gentleman is well loved, but this is love that can be wrapped and unwrapped.
Just push the start button and smile.

Going through the photos to set it up may be good therapy for you and the wife as well.
It helped me.

Seemed to lessen the sense of loss.

Alo Ha, my friend

Weeze
Brother y0rty first off you have the b00m's familia love and blessings my friend, your father-in-law is a very lucky man to have you marry his daughter, and for you to be such a caring soul who wants to make a difference to his finals months here on this earthly realm. :ying: You Sir are a True Gentleman :ying:
Weez has got exactly what I was going to say in one, familia photos of happy times and familia members in a nice digital frame where they scroll along to each photo by it's self is exactly what I did for my mum's mother who was terminal for over 5yrs, she was bed ridden for most of that time but was able to be propped up with pillows in bed and watch a couple of gigabytes of familia photos on the digital photo frame sitting on her meal table which could be placed right in front of her and she could enjoy any time day or night.
I just wish I could've afforded at the time a bigger frame, cause those old eyes of hers had trouble seeing some of the older smaller photos that I had scanned into the computer then onto the frame, the newer photos from a digital camera were easier for her to see.
:angelshug:Your wife and familia have our love and blessings bruz :angelshug:

Hermanthegerman

Know your rights
Veteran
Friends I can´t believe what some of you wrote?!?:chin:

I think the best gift is to say that you take good care of his daughter and maybe if its possible drink a little wine with him and play the music of his life?

It´s not an easy road,......

Leeroy&Co:

Something from you, to him....could be anything.... to let him know you are with him somehow,....a small gift or trinkets are only worthless if they dont have meaning.... some of the smallest cheapest things i have been given mean the most to me. Like a rock i was given by a child.........for example. Sometimes it's in the small things when everything else around you seems so big and daunting.you know what i mean?...maybe just even hold his hand for a while and listen to what he has to say....

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
Give him life.

Simpson Oil or Holy Annointing Oil in doses as large as he can take.

Cut out all processed foods, animal proteins, refined sugars (honey is good) and get them eating tons of cancer beneficial veggies and fruits. They need to keep their blood as alkaline as possible.

Unless the patient doesn't want to live.... or the Oncologists have F'ed his immune system up too much.... he'll most likely live.

The body is an amazing machine.... the modern diet is amazingly F'ed up and geared to feed cancer. Get back to basics and let the body heal itself.

Good luck. *shrug*

Food type diet

Secrecy

what do U buy a man who is dieing???

Give him a nice picture of when he was younger. Pick out a worthy picture from his youth, something that he would want others to remember him by.

Keep it simple.

dagnabit

Game Bred
Veteran
take him away from everyone for a day.

when my dad was going it was a constant stream of well intentioned but annoying well wishers and his wife and their son constantly in his face so to speak.

took him out on the boat just the two of us for a day without a single word concerning cancer or anything having to do with it.

he was happy.

S

SeaMaiden

take him away from everyone for a day.

when my dad was going it was a constant stream of well intentioned but annoying well wishers and his wife and their son constantly in his face so to speak.

took him out on the boat just the two of us for a day without a single word concerning cancer or anything having to do with it.

he was happy.
That was why I suggested audiobooks. I'm sure all of those people were very well intentioned, but it can become tiresome.

yortbogey

To Have More ... Desire Less
Veteran
all kinda of ideas and insight w/ this thread.... i appreciate the respectful thoughtz from so many.... we have finally gott the "old man" to eat sum cannabis sweets....
had he's first brownie last weekend..... was up and down all night w/ the munchies....but @ least he's eating....next night was a cannabis cookie from a recent batch 0' critical mass..... and he couldn't feel he's own legs.......made for problems...he pee's every other hour...but he is finding sum re-leaf and periods of solid sleep..... where just working toward finding the right dosage..... Ur...i' mean plant....

but on a more serious note several of U'r ideas have been tak'in into real consideration by the wife...... she thank'z U all......
YB

Jon 54

4800 Mics. of Actiq it's Fentanyl, you might even let him suck on more of the lolly-pops until he passes out,they taste great and I know that they would make him feel like a new man. Jon 54 :tumbleweed::tumbleweed:

Jon 54

I don't want to sound cynical or crazy but if he can move his arms and hands I would give him either a loaded pistol or a bottle of seconal or a tuinols. This man is in extreme pain and I think this might just be a God send to him. Jon 54 :tumbleweed::tumbleweed::tumbleweed:

I don't want to sound cynical or crazy but if he can move his arms and hands I would give him either a loaded pistol or a bottle of seconal or a tuinols. This man is in extreme pain and I think this might just be a God send to him. Jon 54 :tumbleweed::tumbleweed::tumbleweed:

Morning Jon,
Reminds me of what I've told the wife & daughters. Expect me to take an early exit if I don't see a good chance for a recovery. I've seen what drawn out deaths can do to a family waiting for someone to die and it's not pretty.
A 45 and/or bottle of pills might be more merciful on everyone involved rather than having a family member/loved one be bedridden & in pain for six months until the grim reaper comes calling.
Cheers,
bruce