What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

What Are You Watching Right Now Pt II.......

moose eater

The emulsifier is what gives hot dogs and poorly made sausages that uniform, even, fluffy texture. In dogs it's fine, though assessing fat content visually, as you might with a traditionally made, more coarsely ground sausage becomes a moot point. Undoable, but for simply reading a package.

And the texture is that of.. a hot dog. Which is OK, for a hot dog

Recently bought some grass-fed, naturally grown, all-beef kielbasa, and instead of them making ground sausage, per se', it was clear they'd put it through an emulsifier. Made it kind of a let-down. I later recalled my younger son and I had picked up a package of the same brand and type of kielbasa, and had been disappointed for the same reason.

A thing of traditional expectations, wanting a sausage to be a sausage, different from an emulsified hot dog. Expectations and traditional definitions indeed play a role.

RobFromTX

The emulsifier is what gives hot dogs and poorly made sausages that uniform, even, fluffy texture. In dogs it's fine, though assessing fat content visually, as you might with a traditionally made, more coarsely ground sausage becomes a moot point. Undoable, but for simply reading a package.

And the texture is that of.. a hot dog. Which is OK, for a hot dog

Recently bought some grass-fed, naturally grown, all-beef kielbasa, and instead of them making ground sausage, per se', it was clear they'd put it through an emulsifier. Made it kind of a let-down. I later recalled my younger son and I had picked up a package of the same brand and type of kielbasa, and had been disappointed for the same reason.

A thing of traditional expectations, wanting a sausage to be a sausage, different from an emulsified hot dog. Expectations and traditional definitions indeed play a role.
Oh im a fan moose, kielbasa too. I cheap out on Oscar meyer most of the time but they'll always have a place on my bbq pit (y)

moose eater

Oh im a fan moose, kielbasa too. I cheap out on Oscar meyer most of the time but they'll always have a place on my bbq pit (y)
I see hot dogs as one of those 'time and place' items. On a grill? Sure (just don't turn them solid black!!). In a pinch for time, and needing to nuke something for a warmed slice of good bread as I run out the door? OK.

But I tend to stick to those that the ingredients don't frighten me too much, like a company with a rep for limited floor sweepings or waste.

To further complicate the choices, whether sausages or hot dogs, lately, due to health concerns, I stick to those made without nitrates or nitrites. Those can get expensive, but also often open up the door to more obscure, smaller, family sorts of meat operations. Some of them pretty good.

The local co-op is good for that sort of fare some times, if their stock would be more consistent/reliable.

'Amy Lou's' chicken-based sausages (Andouille, breakfast, etc.) from Costco have been a bit of a disappointment. They're theoretically more clean and healthy, as meat products, but light, fluffy, and I suspect they use dark chicken meat due to their texture and density, which carries more fat (which doesn't, in itself, offend me), but the dark meat doesn't make as firm of a sausage (due to the fat content) as the white meat, especially when emulsified..

We processed meat for a lot of years, both beef and moose, more so than other meats, but pork and other meats, too. I became a bit fickle about what's good and what's not. A matter of preference and taste.

Used to eat Hebrew National hot dogs a bit when we consumed those items that were made with nitrates/nitrites, even if just to laugh at the claim on the wrapper. They were theoretically a 'cleaner' meat product, for mass-produced stuff, but the label claimed, "We Answer To A Higher Power." I suspected they were referring to God, but perhaps they were AA members, too? :)

moose eater

Total BS. Whats wrong with a video of an alaskan brown bear sitting next to a camper. youtubes got some real degenerates running the show
May just be the settings or requirements put in place by the original poster. Maybe the OP thought it was gold, and doesn't want others to see it? Who knows? The bear wasn't fornicating next to the camper, was it?

RobFromTX

May just be the settings or requirements put in place by the original poster. Maybe the OP thought it was gold, and doesn't want others to see it? Who knows? The bear wasn't fornicating next to the camper, was it?
lol nah it was just a guy camping in Katmai. There bear was just hangin out watching the sunrise. He got pretty spooked when she decided to give him a smell exam though

armedoldhippy

Veteran
i love Echrich beef kielbasa. use it in stir-fries with peppers, onions, etc. i don't eat 5 or 6 hotdogs a year...they take up too much space in the bun that could be better utilized by chili.