What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

What are you drinking?

mean mr.mustard

I Pass Satellites
Veteran
E.H. Taylor Small Batch Bourbon

I also scored a bottle of Frangelico for some butternut squash and carrot soup...

And I had to have a sip to make sure it's still good ;)

buzzmobile

Veteran
the heck is that you got there buzz?

Cyber Beer with tumblers. Buy a CyberTruck and get Cyber Beers x 2 w/tumblers.

right

Space dusts.mmmmm with floties

20231018_202216.jpg

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Apple Jack, aka hard cider. Just put up 18 12oz bottles, plus a quart of 'dregs' which will have the yeast crash out in the fridge. The downside is I noticed bubbles, lol, which means I may have to drink it quickly. (Tragedy!! lol) I'm amazed I ever thought Corona Extra was 'clean'ish' beer for me. I'll buy empties from now on and save myself the hurt. ;)

2 Gallons unfiltered apple cider (tis the season)
Handful of raisins (why, I still don't know since I prefer beet. lol)
Pinch of epsom salt
Pinch of pink himalayan salt
Almost 6lbs of Blue Agave Syrup (Had to edit this in as I forgot it)
Yeast
20231024_123407.jpg
"Most" of the wine has been siphoned off, leaving a few raisins and the yeast dregs...
20231024_130857.jpg
Siphoned into a second Anchor Hocking 2 Gallon glass crock.
20231024_130904.jpg
Siphoned into beer bottles and the remaining dregs put into a quart jar and into the fridge. The yeast will settle in the quart jar and will be drunk the next couple days. (Yes, I do eat the fizzy raisins. lol)
20231024_134723.jpg
All that's left are the dregs to be washed out...
20231024_134626.jpg
I'll be putting up a new batch of wine in a few days, since it will take definitely take me more than 2 weeks to drink all that. ;) One 12oz bottle makes 3 wine coolers at around 6%+ ABV. ;) SIGNIFICANTLY tastier and easier to digest than any off the shelf wine cooler.

Enjoy!

Last edited:

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
The 'problem' with bubbles is it means the fermentation has not quite finished. Unfinished fermentation means a build up of carbonation in sealed bottles. I keep the bottles in my rabbitry, which always stays cool, so everything should be ok.

I STRONGLY recommend against using 'stabilizers' of any kind, especially avoiding potassium metabisulfite tablets/powder. This is the main reason, aside from quality of ingredient issues, I go to great lengths to avoid commercial wines.

Warm storage would mean the possibility of bottle bombs. Bottles shattering under the pressure of carbonation, which is not safe or fun. So I either completely ferment the wine dry, or bottle and keep it chilled during storage, or throw a party and have friends help drink it quick. ;)

Tynehead Tom

in my late 20's into my 30's a 5 bedroom house I rented with my girlfriend of the day and some musician room mates was the hub of a large circle of friends. Some would come to buy a bag and stay for coffee and the morning waken bake before work. Every friday night after the bar it was routine for everyone we knew to finish the night at our place. All the holidays were celebrated with huge parties as well.
So I started brewing beer in impressive quantities and then started selling it to all the drop ins and party goers.
Was a pretty good gig for a few years LOL That is until I experienced the "bottle bombs".
I put 12 cases(12 bottles each) of freshly bottled beer into the closet upstairs in house and went away for 3 weeks.
When I came home I could not believe the mess in the closet and the beer bottle glass was just incredible how the pressure and effect of 144 bottles exploding, turning a lot of the glass almost into a powder. The room mates didn't hear the bottle bomb event so it must have happened during the day time while they were all at work.
I had to replace the hallway and closet carpet , replace the closet door and completely re drywall the closet itself. The pulverized glass was just imbedded everywhere in that space.
After that event I just ordered kegs from the local beer and wine store and I have not made beer since LOL

I was just down in Chilliwack BC and I am friends with a farmer there in Yarrow that runs a U-Pick Elderberry plot.
He has been making his own elderberry "wine" for decades and though doesn't sell it, I managed to score a 2 liter bottle of that and a 1 liter of the elderberry ice wine to take home. Not sure what the Ice wine alcohol content is but his elderberry wine is push 27% hehehe
So while I generally consume alcohol on the very rare occasion, I don't think this Elderberry wine is going to last long as it is one of my favorite liquids to consume. This leads to my next project and that will be trying to plant and raise a plot of elderberry on my property so i can have them for making wine myself.

Latest posts

Latest posts