What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

what are ideal drying room conditions?

Wooderson

what would ideal drying room temperature and humidity be ? I know it should have air circulation and blackout darkness I would like to dial in the temp & RH .

Jnugg

Veteran
You want to aim for a nice slow dry that takes about a week depending on bud structure and amount drying.

Try to aim for 65°F-70°F and 55%-65% RH.

BudToker

Veteran
^^^This:

65F and 65%RH with air circulation

With these conditions the manicured buds are appropriately dry and ready to begin curing after 7 days.

- BT :smokeit:

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
^^^This:

65F and 65%RH with air circulation

With these conditions the manicured buds are appropriately dry and ready to begin curing after 7 days.

- BT :smokeit:

Hummm.. 7 days.. I been running whole plant, rugh trimmed at 72F/65RH for 10-14 days then, trim finer to branch level then into brown paper bags till the go into glass (dem glass jars is a PITA to burp, clankety clank), maybe 2-3 weeks.. then 2QT mson jars. they always seem just right for vapeing and a tiny bit too damp for rolling joints (leave the ground bud out for 15-30 minutes for rolling). but maybe I have something to learn here.. I'll listen.. if it makes sence, I'll try it.:tiphat:

festerous

Veteran
I shoot for 65F and 65%RH with air circulation in pitch black

This is spot on. I chopped six days ago and decided to try a small sample from the lowest bud in a joint tonight. The taste is top notch, I can't wait until is fully dried and cured. i will have some great smoke to share with the Easter bunny.

St3ve

Hummm.. 7 days.. I been running whole plant, rugh trimmed at 72F/65RH for 10-14 days then, trim finer to branch level then into brown paper bags till the go into glass (dem glass jars is a PITA to burp, clankety clank), maybe 2-3 weeks.. then 2QT mson jars. they always seem just right for vapeing and a tiny bit too damp for rolling joints (leave the ground bud out for 15-30 minutes for rolling). but maybe I have something to learn here.. I'll listen.. if it makes sence, I'll try it.:tiphat:

Its not always 7 days.. it depends on how big the buds are, and how you manicure.

For me its around 6-7 days or so because I use a trimming machine to wet trim. When I hang whole plants its much longer.

St3ve

Wow, that is low and slow! Do you uses a humidifier or a dehumidifier? Or both? How do you maintain the 65%RH?

Yes it is low and slow!! I have moved to wet trim in a trimming machine and doing that will cause the buds dry WAY to fast if you don't control the environment compared to just hanging a whole plant to trim later. Before I got to the 65/65 sweet spot I was drying in 3 days and I had no smell or taste really compared to my old method. I use a dehumidifier, and I do NOT use an actual humidifier. (although some people do)

Here is what I do:

In the corner of my room, I'll hang a drying rack for the smaller trimmed buds, and I have a few lines hung to use hangers for the colas. All of these get a full wet manicure at the time of harvest.

Then I place the dehuey on the floor underneath it, and a fan oscillating next to that aiming UP and AWAY from the hangers and rack so no direct air hits the buds. I then place a hygrometer on every shelf of the drying rack and hang a few off the hangers. This is CRUCIAL because then I can monitor exactly what is happening EVERYWHERE and can make fine adjustments. I use around 10 of the hygrometers. (these hygrometers are later used in the curing bins to ensure an accurate cure)

In my rooms, I have two extraction fans with carbon filters. One that comes on with the flowering lights to keep the temps down, and one that runs 24/7 to keep negative pressure on the room so I don't leak smell. During the drying phase, I do not use the large fan at all, and I block off the passive intake vents from the smaller fan so it pulls far far less air out of the room. This allows the build up of humidity from the drying buds. If I didn't have the dehuey, the RH will climb to over 90% in under an hour. Then I set my dehuey to 70%. (on my dehuey, setting is to 70% on the machine will actually keep the air at a fairly steady 65% per all the other meters).

Now.. to keep the air around a cool 65F I have to find the sweet spot of blocking my intake vent. See, if I block too much of the vent, the extractor fan doesn't pull enough wet air out of the room, and my dehuey has to work constantly. If its on constantly, it will heat up the room to even 75F or higher. So I try and find the sweet spot so the air being pulled out by the extractor fan is just enough to where the dehuey just kicks on sometimes leaving the air cooler. (does that make sense?)

Few things, in the winter time when there isn't much water in the air, I will fill up a few short buckets or bowls with water to sit under the rack near the fan. This passively adds some water to the air. If I need more water, I will drape a small rag out of the bowls or towel out of the buckets to help speed up the evaporation. This works just fine to help slow the drying down some. If the air is really dry, I have little sections of reflectix that I will fashion into walls around the corner of the room. This makes a smaller rooms worth of air to keep in the sweet spot of 65%.
Also, you can fine tune areas that may be getting a little more or less. For instance, if the hanging buds are a little drier than the buds in the rack I will push them all closer together crowding them. IF they are wetter, I spread them out more allowing more air movement.

Another thing I do to add a little more water to the air (if needed) is I will leave all of the leftover branches from the trim under the rack so the sticks can all dry out also. Ultimately I will burn them so they need to be dried out anyway.

I hope this is clear, if not feel free to ask
:peacock:

Pinball Wizard

The wand chooses the wizard
Veteran
I dry 7-14 days. No ventilation. Humidly 30/40%. Dark closet, below 70 degrees.

At the end of seven days: I cut enough for a half of a quart jar & a humidly gauge.
If it's 70% or lower (after 24/36 hours), I cut the rest and burp as needed :)

festerous

Veteran
I use a mid sized humidifier that I modified so I could place the sensor in my drying closet, the closet has no door just a black out style curtain. The humidifier is set at 65%, after 10 days or so I drop down to 60%. I let it go for 14 -21 days total depending on bud density.

Wooderson

Yes it is low and slow!! I have moved to wet trim in a trimming machine and doing that will cause the buds dry WAY to fast if you don't control the environment compared to just hanging a whole plant to trim later. Before I got to the 65/65 sweet spot I was drying in 3 days and I had no smell or taste really compared to my old method. I use a dehumidifier, and I do NOT use an actual humidifier. (although some people do)

Here is what I do:

In the corner of my room, I'll hang a drying rack for the smaller trimmed buds, and I have a few lines hung to use hangers for the colas. All of these get a full wet manicure at the time of harvest.

Then I place the dehuey on the floor underneath it, and a fan oscillating next to that aiming UP and AWAY from the hangers and rack so no direct air hits the buds. I then place a hygrometer on every shelf of the drying rack and hang a few off the hangers. This is CRUCIAL because then I can monitor exactly what is happening EVERYWHERE and can make fine adjustments. I use around 10 of the hygrometers. (these hygrometers are later used in the curing bins to ensure an accurate cure)

In my rooms, I have two extraction fans with carbon filters. One that comes on with the flowering lights to keep the temps down, and one that runs 24/7 to keep negative pressure on the room so I don't leak smell. During the drying phase, I do not use the large fan at all, and I block off the passive intake vents from the smaller fan so it pulls far far less air out of the room. This allows the build up of humidity from the drying buds. If I didn't have the dehuey, the RH will climb to over 90% in under an hour. Then I set my dehuey to 70%. (on my dehuey, setting is to 70% on the machine will actually keep the air at a fairly steady 65% per all the other meters).

Now.. to keep the air around a cool 65F I have to find the sweet spot of blocking my intake vent. See, if I block too much of the vent, the extractor fan doesn't pull enough wet air out of the room, and my dehuey has to work constantly. If its on constantly, it will heat up the room to even 75F or higher. So I try and find the sweet spot so the air being pulled out by the extractor fan is just enough to where the dehuey just kicks on sometimes leaving the air cooler. (does that make sense?)

Few things, in the winter time when there isn't much water in the air, I will fill up a few short buckets or bowls with water to sit under the rack near the fan. This passively adds some water to the air. If I need more water, I will drape a small rag out of the bowls or towel out of the buckets to help speed up the evaporation. This works just fine to help slow the drying down some. If the air is really dry, I have little sections of reflectix that I will fashion into walls around the corner of the room. This makes a smaller rooms worth of air to keep in the sweet spot of 65%.
Also, you can fine tune areas that may be getting a little more or less. For instance, if the hanging buds are a little drier than the buds in the rack I will push them all closer together crowding them. IF they are wetter, I spread them out more allowing more air movement.

Another thing I do to add a little more water to the air (if needed) is I will leave all of the leftover branches from the trim under the rack so the sticks can all dry out also. Ultimately I will burn them so they need to be dried out anyway.

I hope this is clear, if not feel free to ask
:peacock:

Thanks for taking the time to explain your process, I'm sure I will have a ton of question in a few weeks I'll get back to you!

Wooderson

Pitch Black seems to be a key to dialing in a ideal drying space, so should you use green light in the drying room?

Last edited:

St3ve

nah not really. Intense light degrades bud so just make sure it doesn't get any directed or hard reflected light while you're working.

DreamsofTesla

Veteran
Thanks, great information. I'm about to do my first harvest. I have a potting shed that would be really perfect in terms of temperature, circulation, and odor control. The problem out there is going to be insects and spiders.