What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

We grow vegetable gardens too! Post your Garden pics here

art.spliff

ICMag Donor
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

St. Phatty

Anybody else use Store bought potatoes for their garden potatoes ?

I bought a 20 pound bag, and saved the biggest ones.

Then bought another 20 pound bag, and a 10 pound bag with normal size potatoes. So I wouldn't be tempted to eat the big potatoes.

Then I just let them start growing.

Will get a pic. A 20 pound bag of potatoes next to indoor 2021.

Harvesting potatoes seems like a lot of work.

I was thinking about sticking them in a steep hillside so harvesting them might be a little easier. If you can get a little land-slide going with a hoe. Does that make any sense ?

Green Squall

Anybody else use Store bought potatoes for their garden potatoes ?

I bought a 20 pound bag, and saved the biggest ones.

Then bought another 20 pound bag, and a 10 pound bag with normal size potatoes. So I wouldn't be tempted to eat the big potatoes.

Then I just let them start growing.

Will get a pic. A 20 pound bag of potatoes next to indoor 2021.

Harvesting potatoes seems like a lot of work.

I was thinking about sticking them in a steep hillside so harvesting them might be a little easier. If you can get a little land-slide going with a hoe. Does that make any sense ?

Hell yeah, although I like to call it bagseed potatoes :biggrin: Here's a pic from back in 2015 when I planted the common russet and reds. I'm not sure what those little pink ones are, but I remember them being the best. Since then I've purchased seed potato, but as a small hobbyist gardener, why not just use store bought that's already in the house?

Growing potatoes was trial and error for me. First time I dug too deep and didn't focus enough on hilling. Incorporating some hay into the mix helped as well. Not sure if I can answer your question about planting on a hillside, but if that's what you're doing, look into terrace farming.

picture.php

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
Hilling potatoes is key! Also they like a little extra sulfer.

Store potatoes work great! I like to see what comes from them. I use seed potatoes for my big crops just because they tend to be uniform and disease resistance.

A fresh dug potato is just amazing. It really spoils you once you get used to them.