What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

We grow vegetable gardens too! Post your Garden pics here

Betterhaff

Veteran
been growing bananas indoors and out for 30 years @ 40N. Never a banana, light intensity not enough…but wrap a piece of fish in a leaf and throw it on the grill…worth it.

No cichlids though

Bud Green

I dig dirt
Veteran
An old buddy grows bananas in his yard every year for the past 25 years...He's at 36 N, 12 miles in from the Atlantic...

He does not get fruit from his either..He grows them for privacy around his back yard swimming pool...
Every winter he chops the tops off, wraps the small rootball, and stacks them up in his garage...

The trunks are about 8 to 10 inch diameter and about 8 or 9 feet tall..
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

I grow veggies in 5 large raised beds every year..
The little super-hot peppers last the longest in the season..

These are my last harvest of the season this year. the day after Thanksgiving..

I usually dry these hot little fuckers, and chop them into flakes with a food processor...

picture.php

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
i took down a shitload of hot peppers - mostly lemon hots (prob 300 of em), some fatelli's and thai's - i put most of em in a bag, and in the freezer - took 1/2 dozen out yesterday and tried a few last nite - still hot, not mushy.... nice way to keep em till next year

Betterhaff

Veteran
..He grows them for privacy around his back yard swimming pool...
[FONT=&quot]That should add a nice tropical feel. As I’ve moved them, transplanted, thinned and divided…I’ve stuck pups here and there around the outdoor landscape. Adds an interesting touch. Surprises people too…”is that a banana?” Those planted out like only last the season and die over the winter. [/FONT]

Rico Swazi

Yes! I grow no bananas! (sorry for the ear bug, couldn't resist!) Tried growing some here at 45N didn't do so well.
can't do those hots anymore though I love them, only sweet peppers. Barrett syndrome. Late October lows were in the 20sF covered mine with frost blanket and was able to ripen a few more on the plants. This was the middle of Nov said good nuff and harvested 2 days later

picture.php

picture.php

3 yr old sweet pepper plant used for pollination finishing up a few indoors . Incredibly sweet- fast maturing but on the small side.

picture.php

Crossing with King of the North for larger,faster finishing thicker walled fruit of which the selection I showed recently. Hoping for good things!

Rico Swazi

my friend recommended sweet meat, how's the taste, in your opinion?

There are better tasting squash like butternut and acorn but they are tough to keep til march april which is where sweetmeat proves its worth. It stores well properly handled. Some say its a bit grainy but a run thru a food mill solves that.

Pic shows pie pumpkins starting to go bad at the stem, the cinderella makes a good pie but won't keep past Jan IME.

picture.php

Your garden look great meizzwang. Love me some buttercrunch lettuce, growing some indoors at the mo. Took that pic of the indoor yesterday in my previous post. I harvest leaves bottom up. You cut the entire plant?

I have every intention of dining on some cauli and broc that are growing outside very soon. Pic was taken couple days back.

picture.php

Sprouts and parsnips are sweet as candy with the cooler weather

winter has a half full vibe round here when they taste that good

picture.php

picture.php

rod58

a bit happening this year , lots of sweet corn and tomatoes .
strange year though , here it is the beginning of summer and we have had days of 15-20c ..cold as a tit !
picture.php

rod58

a year ago i was at this old fellas farm and he had "lots of stuff "growing . these grapes i scored from him as cuttings he called "strawberry grapes " . he gave me a bunch and they do indeed taste like strawberries .. go figure !

picture.php

'