Bud Green

I dig dirt
Veteran
Seeds for peas go in the ground next week, here at my garden.....:woohoo:

Oh boy.. can't wait to get soil under my fingernails again...:biggrin:

jay-toker

picture.php

marvinuncleherb

My father has a backyard garden as well planting different kind of vegetables for family consumption's and it provides number of benefits to us.

barnyard

gardening is a tremendous benefit to all of us...

gardening is a tremendous benefit to all of us...

:yummy:

i'm just getting started at a mile high :biggrin:

here's a pic of some alfalfa poop

Attachments

• 028.jpg
    028.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 10

barnyard

quick cover crop

quick cover crop

emergence of winter rye cover cop...dug in after 30 days

the no till folks better cover your eyes ;)

Attachments

• 016.jpg
    016.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 10
  • 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 11
  • 013.jpg
    013.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:

Littleleaf

Veteran
my first wicking bed is rocking. Some random pics of some veggies growing here among the :tumbleweed:

Attachments

• 3 3 15 wicking bed.jpg
    3 3 15 wicking bed.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 17
  • wicking bed.jpg
    wicking bed.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 14
  • you know.jpg
    you know.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 12
  • volenteer kale.jpg
    volenteer kale.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 10

GHGrower

Hi ICMag! I apologize in advance for poor documentation (I took these pictures to show people when they say they don't believe I garden). Here's last year's grow and some of many harvests!

My weapons of choice for the year. I haven't purchased seedlings in 15 years, and don't plan to start if I can help it.

My 200 square foot allotment. Being one huge 10x20 plot didn't suit my needs anymore, and with an impending drought headed my way, I decided to split them up into four beds and put one of my crazy schemes to fruition; a garden that is watered by the water-retaining properties of the walking path. Introducing: The Trench Wicking Bed

buqWFUd.png

The results for this year were self evident. Despite a lack of rain, I only had to water the garden daily when first germinating seed. After that, I watered once every 2-3 weeks. The year before, I was watering 3 times per week.

Here's my layout!

YCWaI4f.png

At the last minute I swapped the watermelons for dwarf zucchini. I learned some pretty keen things. Firstly, I shouldn't zone like in square gardening, but rather plant in 'rings', ordering planting by moisture tolerance from outer edge where it's wettest, to the center where it is driest. The peppers didn't make it because they were on a low slope of one of the beds near the center path, so the soil there was the wettest. The next time I do this I'll move the peppers closer to the center of the beds.

Now, for some results:

72 heads of lettuce, donated to the local food bank.

To be continued...

GHGrower

42 pounds of potatoes, half donated, half kept. I'm still eating them now, even though I harvested these last July.

68 pounds of tomatoes, half donated, half kept. This you see was the day of my first harvest, in which I pulled 30 pounds even.

That fruit tho

This was my daily harvest for the first half of the growing season.

This was my daily harvest from the second half of the season.

Thanks for looking!

Green Squall

lookin good, I'm jealous! Last year at this time, I had my garden all cleaned up and ready to plant. It's been colder this spring and there's still snow on the ground. I recently made the transition to seeds, but still purchase random seedlings here and there if there's something unique I want. Only been growing veg for a few years. Still a lot to learn.

Littleleaf

Veteran
GHGrower

Love your plot. Looks like you could feed a few families on yours. Been using your idea here with the wood chip as the path and watering. The pic is of the raised beds before the chip/mulch mix.

I did a test bed in the front of the house with squash. 5 plants produced more zukes than 3 families could eat. All summer. When I pulled them most of the roots were in the chip walk way. It works here among the :tumbleweed: for me.

Grow on.

Attachments

• it has started.jpg
    it has started.jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 11

GHGrower

Thank you! You look like you have a proper farm going! I'm glad I'm not the only one thinking this way for the gardening style. I sort of imagine it as like an alternative sort of hugelkultur that caters to modern vegetable gardening design. Cheers.

Wow… thats experience. I have only tried growing veggies in a 100 sq foot area and that was challenging enough. Very time consuming and hard to keep all the varities prospering. Any tips for a newer gardener in terms of whats more user friendly; above ground, in ground, potted? More hardy and harder to kill veggies for harsher climates?

Green Squall

Swiss chard and collard greens doing pretty good. Decided to skip broccoli and cabbage this year and stick to what I love..swiss chard.

picture.php