What's new

Water with Oxygenated water?

L

lysol

It does kill bateria.

http://www.truthorfiction.com/rumors/h/hydrogen-peroxide.htm

16. Use as a vegetable wash or soak to kill bacteria and neutralize
chemicals-Truth!

We don't know about the chemicals, but there are several credible references about the use of hydrogen peroxide on fruits or vegetables. Research published by the Journal of Food and Science in 2003 showed effective results of using hydrogen peroxide to decontaminate apples and melons that were infected with strains of E.coli.

http://www.truthorfiction.com/rumors/h/hydrogen-peroxide.htm

On that link it says it also has been reported ( but unverified ) to kill / slow yeast.

I am still wondering how a "free oxygen radical" is going to dissolve into warm water. If I chill water aerate it and then re-warm it, the dissolved o2 will lower back down, yeah? Then wouldn't a free oxygen radical still be limited by water temps?

I assume that is why I get bubbles rising to my surface when I add it. How is this any different / more affective then an air stone?

All Hydroponic gardeners should know about the benefits of using Hydrogen peroxide in the Hydroponic nutrient tank. Hydrogen peroxide is water with an extra oxygen atom in it which, when broken down into the solution, helps to add extra oxygen to your Hydroponic nutrient solution. This extra oxygen is then applied to the Hydroponic plant's roots making healthier and more robust plants with lots of healthy new root growth.
http://www.hydroponic-gardening.ws/hydrogen-peroxide.html

These types of claims are dandy, but I dont understand it, maybe if my rez was located in an anoxic co2 rich environment. Then again I could just locate the air pump so it is intaking oxygen rich air instead

When we introduced Hydrogen peroxide into some of the Hydroponic systems we noticed the difference in less than 24 hours. Our heads of lettuce all stood up higher and were much bigger and after 3 days they didn't even look like the plants without the Hydrogen peroxide, They were much bigger and fuller and looked like much older plants. We have been believers in H202 in Hydroponic systems ever since.

I would agree with them that it helps in most cases but I'm not sure its adding dissolved oxygen, probably the pure oxygen bubbling past the roots kills your nasties that were smothering / robbing them of already mobilized nutrient.

Use of a good air stone in the tank helps to supply oxygen into the water and also adding Hydrogen peroxide as well.
The writer of that article has grammar that is also bad as well.

Heres a study where they tested on catfish eggs. http://afsjournals.org/doi/abs/10.1577/C02-048, I read they are using it in place of "formalin", I googled that
Aqueous solutions of formaldehyde are referred to as formalin. "100%" formalin consists of a saturated solution of formaldehyde (this is about 40% by volume or 37% by mass) in water, with a small amount of stabilizer, usually methanol to limit oxidation and polymerization. A typical commercial grade formalin may contain 10-12% methanol in addition to metallic impurities like aluminium (3 ppm), iron (1 ppm) and copper (1 ppm).

As a disinfectant and biocide

An aqueous solution of formaldehyde can be useful as a disinfectant as it kills most bacteria and fungi (including their spores). It is also used as a preservative in vaccines. Formaldehyde solutions are applied topically in medicine to dry the skin, such as in the treatment of warts. Many aquarists use formaldehyde as a treatment for the parasites ichthyophthirius and Cryptocaryon irritans.[12]

Formaldehyde preserves or fixes tissue or cells by irreversibly cross-linking primary amino groups in proteins with other nearby nitrogen atoms in protein or DNA through a -CH2- linkage. This is exploited in ChIP-on-chip transcriptomics experiments. Formaldehyde is also used as a denaturing agent in RNA gel electrophoresis, preventing RNA from forming secondary structures.

SO what can be derived from that study at least is h2o2 was a more cost effective dis infective.

"The results of this research show that significant improvements in channel catfish hatching success can be obtained through the use of hydrogen peroxide as a cost-effective alternative to formalin."

stink.whistler is right

KnuckleHedd

Hoosierdaddy...I think you need to read the label AGAIN. It does, in fact, refer to disinfecting cuts and abrasions. And at the grow shop they suggest hydro growers use it to disinfect the res. I think you should head to Walmart. They have a great display of reading glasses.

ibjamming

Veteran
Whomever said..."it's all in the dose"...is correct. It does some good and it does some bad...too much, and it's ALL bad.

NorCalFor20

Smokes, lets go
Veteran
H2o2 is far more effective, both in terms of performance and price.
H2o2 will also drive out chlorine immediately, where as tap still has to be outgassed even when bubbled with the device.
I have seen watering pots that are hooked up to oxygenate the water, at about 1/10 of the cost of the device shown.
Save your money and use hydrogen peroxide from the grocery if you want truly high oxygen content water.

the h2o2 you want is 35% not avail at grocery stores, the lower concentrations have nasty stablilizers in there you dont wanna give ur plants... be careful with 35% don't let it touch your skin or get in your eyes.... it will cause chemical burns

B

Blue Dot

Hoosierdaddy, did you know that when human cells are lysed, they release H2O2.

Why do you think this is?

It's the bodies (cells) way of releasing a disinfectant agent to kill any microbes in proximity while the cell has time to heal. I really doubt the cell would want to allow aerobic bacteria into the cell.

Hey NorCalFor20, any color in those hands yet? LOL

B

Blue Dot

the h2o2 you want is 35% not avail at grocery stores, the lower concentrations have nasty stablilizers in there you dont wanna give ur plants...

I keep hearing this a lot but have yet to see a link to exactly what stabilizers we are talking about.

it's true, the stabilizers are not listed on the lable but theres gotta be a link somewhere on the web that says what these chems are and then another link that shows why they are bad for plant roots.

Until then, it's CVS. lol

hoosierdaddy

ICMag Donor
Veteran
It's only disinfecting property is by means of heavy oxidation. The free radical oxygen molecule is solely responsible for any disinfecting action.

Any stabilizers used in H2O2 are usually nothing more than pH adjusters.
Use hydro store 35% stuff (cut to 3%) or use 3% dilution form the grocery or pharmacy.
Stay away from hair bleaching H2O2 and you will not have worries from added chemicals that could harm the grow.

B

Blue Dot

It's only disinfecting property is by means of heavy oxidation. The free radical oxygen molecule is solely responsible for any disinfecting action..

But that doesn't prove that the free radicals of h202 don't harm aerobic bacteria.

Free radicals oxidize everything. There is nothing in chemistry that makes them selective.

Who gives a crap that the free radicals are feeding microbes that the aerobic bacteria live off of IF at the same time the free radicals are also directly killing said aerobic bacteria.

How'd you get all that green anyway? :nono: lol

B

Blue Dot

You are right...it will kill your microbes and most likely the whole grow.
Don't use it.

What are you talking about?

My goal is to make my grow as sanitary as possible.

The only living thing I want in my room is the plant. ;)

It's only disinfecting property is by means of heavy oxidation. The free radical oxygen molecule is solely responsible for any disinfecting action.

Hoosie,

Though I am proud of you for admitting you are wrong about whether H2O2 is used as a disinfectant, you should have stopped there (well, a heartfelt apology to me would have been appropriate as well, but there is still time). stinky ->:kissass:<- hoosie

HO* and HOO* are pretty damn important in biological oxidation by H2O2, I'm not sure where you got the information that 'the free radical oxygen molecule is solely responsible for any disinfecting action'. :pointlaug

Did the same 'scientists' you listen to on other issues tell you that? :nono:

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
Hoosie,

Though I am proud of you for admitting you are wrong about whether H2O2 is used as a disinfectant, you should have stopped there (well, a heartfelt apology to me would have been appropriate as well, but there is still time). stinky ->:kissass:<- hoosie

HO* and HOO* are pretty damn important in biological oxidation by H2O2, I'm not sure where you got the information that 'the free radical oxygen molecule is solely responsible for any disinfecting action'. :pointlaug

Did the same 'scientists' you listen to on other issues tell you that? :nono:
ROFLMAO!!

Wee!

CC

L

lysol

Hoos, why dont u post some sources and hold ur own feet the same fire u held ours too,

Socrates was the wisest man of his time because he embraced the fallacies of being human so that he could learn. Sometimes you just gotta take the red pill and see just how deep the rabbit hole goes

I'm sure if you posted proof otherwise people would be K+ ing and bowing down to u apologizing

hoosierdaddy

ICMag Donor
Veteran
No, that doesn't happen, lysol. When the sources get posted they run off and let others take over the argument. You must think this is the first discussion I have been in on the topic?
The assertion was made that h2o2 WILL kill the micro herd. I asked for references and get none. Although more showed up to chime in, they too had zip.
Now it is me that is being fed philosophical sheep dip.
Get a grip....and a clue.

L

lysol

When the sources get posted they run off and let others take over the argument.

Does not compute

The assertion was made that h2o2 WILL kill the micro herd. I asked for references and get none. Although more showed up to chime in, they too had zip.
Now it is me that is being fed philosophical sheep dip.
Get a grip....and a clue.

I'm still confused, you have sources but you dont feel like posting them I guess. No need to respond in this way, if you are going to DEMAND that these other posters post sources, why not uphold yourself to the same standard, it was a simple question but forget it, obviously no one else deserves to know the knowledge except you, that way the mis-information is perpetuated?

You not only asked for sources but made multiple assertions IT DOES NOT kill the micro-herd, just asking for references and gotten none.

I believe you also "asserted" that free oxygen radicals posses some property that causes the water to dissolve more then what it's solubility allows?
Save your money and use hydrogen peroxide from the grocery if you want truly high oxygen content water.

If I had to put my $ on anyone it would be you, I'm just saying to make demands of others but then to not uphold yourself to the same standards, well.... you might come off like you're trying to be smug, but this is the internet after all, 90% of intent is lost thru text, I'm sure noone means to hurt anyone else's feelings.

Just saying you can't come into a thread and ask for sources and then make 9999 assertions of your own without posting the sources, that would be too much irony for my poor lil heart to handle lol, and don't worry my k- won't hurt your rep, I'm sure you'll get lots of k+ from me personally in the future as long as you continue to provide good advice but be humble about it

The k- was for the attitude ( for ex. "You must think this is the first discussion I have been in on the topic?" ), does not move the thread forward.

By the way I was reading thru Lucas' threads and found this quote

I kill my bacteria good / bad with florashield. It's a hydro store priced version of hydrogen peroxide

Hoos, here a source since you REFUSE to participate. http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070203191154AAuzCME

Well, before diving any deeper, you need to know what Hydrogen Peroxide does to SOME bacteria. It is, for some bacteria, considered as a metabolic poison, which kills them unless they have the enzyme catalase.

Let me tell you, though, that hydrogen peroxide is NOT SPECIFIC, meaning there's no exact way to say that this or that organism will be killed by hydrogen peroxide or not; some organisms, aerobic or anaerobic, can withstand hydrogen peroxide and some cannot. The only way to know is to do the Catalase test (hope you know what this is). Catalase is the enzyme that some bacteria use to catalytically cleave hydrogen peroxide into water and oxygen...so, no hydrogen peroxide, no death to the bacteria. Again, hydrogen peroxide can affect any bacteria, whether they are aerobic, anaerobic, or facultatively anaerobic--there's no way to tell how unless you do the catalase test. The only ones not affected, in general, are the ones with the enzyme catalase.

With respect to the anaerobic bacteria not dying, well, there are a number of reasons. Some "anaerobic bacteria" are just aerotolerant, meaning they can live with air, but only in a certain partial pressure of oxygen; some anaerobic bacteria are not really anerobes at all because they are actually facultative; and anaerobic bacteria do not necessarily die that easily once exposed in air--however, if you grow/culture them in the presence of air, they surely will not grow.

Now, with respect to websites, I do not know any specific ones. But, when you do internet searches regarding microbiology(I'm actually an advocate of books), try to find sites ending in .edu or .gov...for some micro info, you can go to my school website www.csun.edu and just search for microbiology; you can even do this for other schools as well.

Hope this helps in some way!

By the way, if you need ebooks on science such as micro or bio, just e-mail me at [email protected] and I can give you links on some ebooks online.

Not saying if its true or not I just googled the facts being debated and found some links, thats all.

Boom

batta bing batta bang

( Expression used to signify the end of a process or chain of events thought to be difficult but actually easy. ) source: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=bada+bing

hoosierdaddy

ICMag Donor
Veteran
The statement was made that h2o2 will kill your microbe herd.
All I am saying it that statement is simply made by the less than learned, and not much more than bullshit being parroted.

If used in the proper dosage, H2o2 provides a great amendment that serves several purposes. And it will not decimate the microbes in the organic soil bed. It is just not so, unless of course someone wanted to do that, and overdosed to facilitate it.
And like was said before, you can also drown them with nothing but water, depending on dosage.

And sure there may well be some aerobic bacteria that cannot survive oxygenation from h2o2, but many, if not most we would find in the soils can survive, and in fact thrive.
And yes, there are anaerobic microbes that can survive an h2o2 dose. (the above would support that, as well as debunk the parrots squawks)

The statement was made that h2o2 will kill your microbe herd.
All I am saying it that statement is simply made by the less than learned, and not much more than bullshit being parroted.

Speaking of bullshit, who was it that said:

The words disinfectant are not on any of the labels. Maybe you should read up and find out what h2o2 actually is, stinks.
AND also said:

The free radical oxygen molecule is solely responsible for any disinfecting action.
Less than learned, indeed.

And sure there may well be some aerobic bacteria that cannot survive oxygenation from h2o2, but many, if not most we would find in the soils can survive, and in fact thrive.
That could well be (though I think more aerobic bacteria would croak from oxidation vs. oxygenation), and in fact is quite likely, at the appropriate dosages. Which is why I said (way back when):
The question is whether the additional oxygen it introduces keeps more aerobic critters alive than its disinfectant properties kill.

Someone w/ a microscope and a bit of time on their hands could easily answer the question through experimentation.

Which you (for reasons known only to one with a less than learned mind) decided to take umbrage with.

By they way, I'm still waiting for my apology, son. :noway:

hoosierdaddy

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Why don't you educate us how h2o2 disinfects without the aid of the oxygen molecule?

Better yet, go find a corner, squat down in it, and pound salt.

Why don't you educate us how h2o2 disinfects without the aid of the oxygen molecule?

Well, H2O2 is kind of a groovy molecule, in that it can pass through the cell membrane. Once there it breaks down, part of it into a hydroxyl radical. That radical is like a hungry hungry hippo for electrons, so it gobbles up an electron from pretty much whatever it runs into inside the cell. This molecule that just had its electron stolen gets pissed off and steals an electron from the next thing it bumps into, and so on, and so on... This tends to be unhealthy for our little microcritter buddy (aerobic or anaerobic).

Do you have any other basic chemistry or biochemistry questions I can help you out with? Or is this your homework assignment? No cheating! :noway:

Better yet, go find a corner, squat down in it, and pound salt.

That's a terrible apology, but I accept - I'm sure it's what your (far) less than learned mind is capable of. But I know how emotional you get... And I do pity you, so...

You're forgiven, hoosie - no need for you to get all upset. :petting: