What's new

Washington legalization...

Painfull

The feds can still bust you so what has changed? So you don't have to be a med. user, big deal. No difference when they throw you in jail and take away everything you own. I see more pot smokers going to court now because they think they are protected by law and it is legal. Just more money for lawyers, police and county. When they change federal law that's when to celebrate.

Pain:crazy:

SCF

Bong Smoking News Hound
Veteran
If thats the case it will become legal. If the cost of having it illegal, supersedes, making it legal. They will play reverse Psychology, and look like the hero one way or another.

Lets just hope its legal soon nation wide.

LeeROI

Originally published Thursday, December 6, 2012 at 9:46 PM

State's pot era lights up to smoke, dreams, uncertainty

Giddy, smoke-filled celebrations started Thursday as Washington state's new pot law — among the most liberal in the world — took effect. At the same time, investors plotted their next move in the new marijuana market.

By Jonathan Martin

Seattle Times staff reporter

Maybe even a little before 12:01 a.m. Thursday, Washingtonians started celebrating — on sidewalks, in parks, outside bars and on their own comfy couches — a new marijuana law that is among the most liberal in the world.

The festivities culminated with a big, hazy party Thursday night at Seattle Center, 79 years and a day after the 21st Amendment, repealing alcohol prohibition, was ratified.

Unlike that repeal, Washington's new law starts with a messy conflict with the federal ban on marijuana, sure to grow messier once the state begins licensing marijuana grow farms and retail stores next year.

Until then, this will be "the year of the magical ounce," as one activist called it. Adults 21 and over can have that much for recreational use, but until the marijuana stores open, there's nowhere to legally buy it. Nor is there any legal place to use it, except behind closed doors.

Late Thursday, a peaceful, happy crowd of about 200 people marked the historic moment at Seattle Center's International Fountain. Ambers glowed, and clouds of Dutch Treat, Pez and WMD and other marijuana strains wisped into the night.

Before the law took effect, Gov. Chris Gregoire had a second conversation with the Department of Justice about the potential federal response. The department has given no indication whether it plans to sue to block Washington's law, or a similar measure in Colorado that takes effect within a month. Gregoire got no more clarity this week, said spokesman Cory Curtis.

Locally, Seattle police announced they would not write tickets for public use of marijuana, which is now equivalent to public drinking. Police will "give you a generous grace period to help you adjust to this brave, new, and maybe kinda stoned world we live in," according to a post on the department's blog.

Other police also appeared to take a laissez-faire approach. "The people have spoken in a very clear way," said Mercer Island Police Chief Ed Holmes, who is also president of the Washington Association of Sheriffs and Police Chiefs, which opposed the legalization measure.

"It's not about our personal individual law or set of convictions or beliefs," he said. "We've sworn to uphold the law of the state, and the law has changed."

Year of work

Even before the party quiets down, the state has begun a yearlong process to set rules for the first-of-its-kind, regulated, for-profit recreational-marijuana market.

The Liquor Control Board is taking public comments until Feb. 10 about the rules and restrictions needed for a marijuana-grower license. Similar rule-making is planned for marijuana processor and retailer licenses.

Despite uncertainty about federal intervention, investors and businessmen are swarming.

The state estimates Washington's market alone at $1 billion a year, with 363,000 customers consuming 187,000 pounds of marijuana, all of which must be grown in the state. Steep sin taxes are projected to raise $560 million a year.

Jamen Shively, a former Microsoft corporate strategy manager, rang in legalization at his Bellevue mansion with the launch of his new gourmet-marijuana retail brand, Diego Pellicer.

He envisions boutique shops dispensing "small quantities to responsible adults," but said he won't start until he's convinced the plan is "sufficiently legal," and won't make him a target for federal agents.

"This is the first moment in U.S. history — and maybe the world's history — when we know a $50 (billion) to $100 billion market is going to materialize overnight, for which there does not exist a single brand," said Shively. He predicted a "river of money" from investors.

Kevin Oliver, executive director of the Washington chapter of NORML, said his group is researching whether it could open a members-only lounge he called "an Elks Club of cannabis."

Doing so may conflict with the state indoor-smoking ban, which protects employees from secondhand smoke.

James Apa, spokesman for Public Health — Seattle & King County, said staff were still examining the new law. "We're taking a really close look, but I'm not at a point where we've made a determination on that."

Unmistakable aroma

At midday Thursday, pungent marijuana smoke wafted through Seattle's high-tech hub in South Lake Union, from no apparent source.

We'll likely need to get used to it. A study of the potential impact of marijuana legalization in California in 2010 predicted use could double, bringing it up to the all-time-high consumption rates of the 1970s.

About $44 million of the new marijuana sin taxes in Washington's law are earmarked for marijuana education and intervention programs. But that money won't come until state-licensed marijuana stores open next December, or later.

Derek Franklin, head of a group of substance-abuse treatment providers, said his group would fight "to keep marijuana from going the way of cigarettes in the 1950s and becoming a normal part of daily life in Washington."

The owners of several medical-marijuana dispensaries, which are unaffected by the new law, reported off-the-street customers demanding to buy from them, though they lacked medical authorizations.

If they hit the black market instead, they are likely to find it awash in supply. One experienced local grower, speaking on the condition of anonymity, said a bumper crop of Northern California-grown marijuana has flooded the market.

"There's a massive amount of cannabis available, compared to what it was three months ago," the grower said.

"I'm not breaking any laws!" yelled John Sanders, holding a zip-lock bag of marijuana over his head at the Seattle Center celebration.

Sanders, chairman of the Edmonds Community College music department, brought his 11- and 9-year-old daughters to show them "democracy in action." He said he wasn't going to smoke marijuana there because public consumption remains illegal, but brought the baggie to exercise his new rights.

"I feel way more comfortable telling people now that I'm a marijuana user," he said, smiling nervously. "I don't have any inhibitions at all."

The idea of "coming out of the marijuana closet" was repeated at the celebration. Vivian McPeak, co-founder of Seattle's Hempfest, the largest marijuana-focused festival in the U.S., took the long view.

"We've lived our entire lives under prohibition, and never known anything else," McPeak said. "It's a huge quantum shift in thinking. I think what everybody sees is, if two states go this easily, the entire wall can come down faster than we thought possible."

chowdan

So as a med user, the new laws dont affect me all that much. However, out of curiosity, people in WA, are they able to purchase weed from any random dealer legally now? I heard on the radio(a reason why i question this), that users are able to purchase cannabis from your typical black market dealer, and the user is legal, however the dealer is the one that will get in trouble if caught since the selling part is illegal....is this correct?

huligun

Professor Organic Psychology
Veteran
The feds can still bust you so what has changed? So you don't have to be a med. user, big deal. No difference when they throw you in jail and take away everything you own. I see more pot smokers going to court now because they think they are protected by law and it is legal. Just more money for lawyers, police and county. When they change federal law that's when to celebrate.

Have you or anyone you know Ever been busted by a fed for possessing a small amount or smoking a joint? You are acting like a big old fat buzz kill

justanotherbozo

Veteran

how many feds do you think there are, lol?

bozo

chowdan

how many feds do you think there are, lol?

bozo

:laughing:Apparently the other 51% of americans that dont smoke.....lol!

I think its smart obama stated what he did state...trying to arrest the 49% of the population that smokes would be detrimental to his policies that are suppose to bring us out of debt.....less people = less tax = no recovery in economy.

Obama is a stoner at heart...I wouldn't doubt if that guy thinks like we do...let the stoners be, we aren't the ones who will cause harm, were to damn lazy and focused on finding shit that makes us laugh and feel good...

M

mugenbao

So as a med user, the new laws dont affect me all that much. However, out of curiosity, people in WA, are they able to purchase weed from any random dealer legally now? I heard on the radio(a reason why i question this), that users are able to purchase cannabis from your typical black market dealer, and the user is legal, however the dealer is the one that will get in trouble if caught since the selling part is illegal....is this correct?
It is currently still illegal to sell cannabis (non-med), so the dealer could get busted if caught. Basically, you won't get busted for having an ounce but you better not get caught selling one.

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
It is currently still illegal to sell cannabis (non-med), so the dealer could get busted if caught. Basically, you won't get busted for having an ounce but you better not get caught selling one.

Yep... they basically just made a HUGE uptick in the profits of the big boys running the game. Sounds like NevaDuh.

Implement a new initiative/amendmend in Wash as soon as possible that mimics or is better than colorado's. Should have enough support by the time it comes to a vote... people tired of being able to have it, but not legally buy or grow it is damaging to the human psyche and society in general.

Good luck...

Stay Safe! :blowbubbles:

chowdan

Yep... they basically just made a HUGE uptick in the profits of the big boys running the game. Sounds like NevaDuh.

Implement a new initiative/amendmend in Wash as soon as possible that mimics or is better than colorado's. Should have enough support by the time it comes to a vote... people tired of being able to have it, but not legally buy or grow it is damaging to the human psyche and society in general.

Good luck...

Stay Safe! :blowbubbles:

So if im a non med user(rec only), and only buying it(not selling it), is that legal? It seems like buying is now legal, however since the seller is illegal, to me it seems very... vague and quite a few gray lines exist right now

M

mugenbao

So if im a non med user(rec only), and only buying it(not selling it), is that legal? It seems like buying is now legal, however since the seller is illegal, to me it seems very... vague and quite a few gray lines exist right now
I believe buying is also illegal since there are no licensed sellers to buy it from yet, but I'm just too exhausted to find a definitive source for ya at the moment. It should be easy enough to find out for certain, though.

It's a strange situation for the time being :D

huligun

Veteran

You are correct, but I believe the attitude is shifting as well as the priorities. They may still set up stings and so on to catch dealers, but I sort of doubt it. The Feds want Harborside in Oakland, that sell $20,000,000 plus per year and the state should be focusing on Meth, Heroin and Coke/Crack. Just my opinion, but the voters have spoken and all the state and city agencies get a cut once this thing gets going. They are going to be biting the hands that feed them by arresting MJ smokers for buying it and those little suppliers of ounces.

The thing is, if you are selling an ounce, you have much more than an ounce.

They just don't want people making big money without their cut. I think that is were the feds will settle, when they see a way to make some money off of another vice.

huligun

Veteran
So far I am still buying from dispensaries in Washington. The prices are high, but not horrible. It is about $10 USD per gram for good stuffs.

I got a quarter ounce off the street (friend of friend) of some pretty good stuff for $50 for 7 grams the other day.

I have found all I need here.

M

mugenbao

So far I am still buying from dispensaries in Washington. The prices are high, but not horrible. It is about $10 USD per gram for good stuffs.
I have yet to visit any Washington dispensaries. Every once in a while I decide to check one out and start looking around, but I have yet to find one that looked worthwhile (I'm on the north end of the state).

There was one actually rather close to me that was recently shut down by the Feds under bullshit pretenses (naturally). Actually I think there were two, but I'm thinking of one in particular. They may be tolerated (not strictly legal) in Seattle but they are not well tolerated in other parts of the state, unfortunately.