What's new

Want a cannabis friendly vacation in the US Virgin Islands?

islandgurl

We (USVI NORML) are working diligently with our Senators here in the USVI to introduce legislation to legalize marijuana. I have one Senator who is wanting to propose legislation this year. We are looking at having temporary use permits for visitors to the Territory and registering residents who wish to use for any purpose. We will include cannabis based businesses in the legislation with perhaps having licensed growers for both commercial and industrial purposes.

We are starting our educational programs for the general public, the medical community, and the legislators. But we need the support of all who will benefit from our efforts to legalize. Please head over to our website (we've only been a NORML chapter since the end of July) at www.usvinorml.org to print/complete/and mail w/payment the registration form. All donations are accepted. We are a 501(c)(4) non-profit.
This effort requires much support from both the locals (who have been way supportive) and those off-island. Monetary and in-kind donations are encouraged.

We've been active in spreading the word and building our membership here on the islands. We've done 3 talk radio shows here with only 1 negative caller. We've had business owners ask if they can pass out our information in their businesses. We've had a great response.

But this is for you as well. What better place to come and medicate freely while on vacation?

Hope to hear from many!

Linda Adler
Executive Director, USVI NORML

J

JackTheGrower

Oh I'm in... Do they also have those drinks with the umbrella in them?

See people! See! The World is changing!

guineapig

Veteran
Man i would be there too!!!!

I think also that you don't need a US passport to go there, at least to certain US virgin islands....

:ying: kind regards from guineapig :ying:

MMAJAY

I was a skeptic of sending money to VI norml with a my space acct. But i did look it up and it seems like a legit address on norml. Honestly i would rather donate on the norml web page and let them channel funds as they seemed fit. VI has some very strict MJ laws from what i read on there site. Dont seem like they will be a player for a while in my opinion.

Last edited:
This bears looking into. Supporting local NORML chapters is sketchy,I know I would not support my local chapter,From my point of view they are not as well organized as they should or could be. The comment about strict laws is a definite red flag. I would be all for supporting them if I could see some strong evidence that they have a reasonable chance of success. Possibly some local news articles would help. But I wish them all the luck in the world

Respect bass

ddrew

Veteran
The virgin islands kick ass without weed already, this is great, icing on the cake

MMAJAY

First offence of any amount = 5,000 dollar fine. I think i will take my chances on this big island. The need to decriminalize weed first might help. I hope them the best but they are way behind the ball.

Cruzin

Won't move there but ill come vacation. Like the idea of the umbrella drinks with a spliff!

Awesome stuff...do it..do it!

BigRigRob

Count me in, scuba, ganja, & boat drinks.... sounds great!
pirate.gif

sailboat.gif

islandgurl

You can check with Russ Belville at NORML if you need to. We are legit. We're filed both as a NORML Chapter and as a non-profit 501(c)(4) in the USVI - just as you would with the state you are in.

We also are totally NO PASSPORT REQUIRED!

We really do need your financial support. Tomorrow we are representing at a reggae festival here on St. Thomas - the Senator Terrence "Positive" Nelson will be speaking from stage about our effort to legalize. He wants to put thru legislation this session.

Linda Adler
Executive Director, USVI NORML

islandgurl

Unfortunately it doesn't work like that. If you donate to national NORML on their site - the money stays with them - I haven't heard that they funnel it to the local chapters. They will co-sponsor a big fundraiser after your first year as a chapter.

Talk to Russ@norml.org - you can Tweet him too. I keep him updated to our progress. It is going very fast and well.

I understand the concern - we're just trying to make it a place that all can come and medicate. It will definately help our economy. Check out Norml's article announcing our chapter. http://blog.norml.org/2009/07/29/norml-announces-formation-of-us-virgin-islands-chapter/

One Love,
Linda

habeeb

follow your heart
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Is it wrong to say the Virgin Islands have some hard penalties for Cannabis?

I would have to say California is gonna be first to the finish line

Also isn't the law over there to stop drug trafficking? If this were to pass I will move there, but I see islands as the last to be free, as islands already have a looming vibe around them. Look at HI and how other drugs / people have ruined the beauty..

A

alpinestar

people are going to freak out and envision a non family oriented environment full of hippies everywhere doing drugs

worries about that need to be addressed so it doesn't get shot down

islandgurl

The harsh laws are why we are working so diligently to change them. We are working with the Senator here (our local Senate - not in Washington) to write the proposed legislation. He wants total legalization here - total "decriminalization" as it is still illegal at the Federal level.

We are writing in use permits for visitors, registration for local residents, licensing for growers, canna-businesses.

The response from the public so far has been very positive. The Senate here seems to be interested in what the people actually want regarding this. I am sure they see that tourism being 70% of our GDP and 80% of our employement this could impact us greatly. I've had some contact me without any intitial contact from me. We have meetings set up for end of next week - after their budget hearings are finished.

We are doing educational programs around the islands for the general public. I had informational packets for the medical community when we begin our targeted meetings for them. We are going to see about bringing LEAP in to aid us in our talks with LEO. I've already been working with the Police Commissioner to see what we can do to reduce crime and gun violence here. I've met with the Lt. Governor's wife and discussed how our goals will affect the youth of the Territory. We have planned and outlined a drug information program for school aged kids to (hopefully) replace the DARE program if we can.

I see this moving very fast. The people want this. I personally put many hours every day talking to people, working on the programs, brochures, and researching. We have a good board and will diligently more forward until this comes to fruition.

M

movingtocally

I've forwarded this email to many of my friends.

We'd book flights tomorrow and pour half our savings into this place just to say thank you.

I highly doubt I'm alone. Amsterdam is an overpriced shithole these days, and the international market is dying for a country to take the reins. You add in a tropical beach and a laid back vibe and you're talking oodles of money.

Hash Zeppelin

Ski Bum Rodeo Clown
Premium user
ICMag Donor
Veteran
^seriously, the usvi are nice. they have beaches, waterfalls and mountains. everthing I could want in nature. add decriminalization and I'm there.

Latest posts

Latest posts