What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Wanna Ask The Old Farts A Question?

I got one for you guys its about training/pruning of a mom and cloning. So here goes I have about 3 Love potions that are fem they look all very similar to the pics below and on each of them I have just pinched the tops to promote horizontial growth. So how should I go about training them to produce 5 or so clones a month. Cloning methods with pics would also be much appreciated. :smoweed:

HempKat

Just A Simple Old Dirt Farmer
Veteran
XFieldofDreamsX said:
I got one for you guys its about training/pruning of a mom and cloning. So here goes I have about 3 Love potions that are fem they look all very similar to the pics below and on each of them I have just pinched the tops to promote horizontial growth. So how should I go about training them to produce 5 or so clones a month. Cloning methods with pics would also be much appreciated. :smoweed:

Well I'm new to clonning but one plant should be able to produce 5 clones easily once it reaches maturity. I made the ten clones I just harvested off of one plant. And still had enough left to flower the mom after giving her a couple more weeks to fill out after taking the clones. A significant factor will be how much light the mom gets. If the mom is under fluoros it might slow you down a bit as it could take longer to fill out. If vegged under a HID though it should grow just fine. I would also reccommend to conserve space that if you want to keep a mom take the 4 clones and flower the mother and keep one clone as the new mother. This will take up less space then to keep a full grown mother crop after crop.

I understand this but I was thinking of have in a mother in Bonsai style and after taking clones reveg for more every month. I have almost completed another cab that has an air-cooled 600hps and two hydrofarms. I want to have a perpetual harvest so I will eventually keep one or two of my 5 LPs (depends on pheno). :headbange

Little info on the cab below a cheep cab found at wallyword insulated with a reflective stuff found at home dep or lowes. For lights it has 2x2 36" flouros (20x4=80w total) and a blower for vent with passive air intake. :jump:

Little shot of the girls at night (lightning storm).

HempKat

Veteran
XFieldofDreamsX said:
I understand this but I was thinking of have in a mother in Bonsai style and after taking clones reveg for more every month. I have almost completed another cab that has an air-cooled 600hps and two hydrofarms. I want to have a perpetual harvest so I will eventually keep one or two of my 5 LPs (depends on pheno). :headbange

Little info on the cab below a cheep cab found at wallyword insulated with a reflective stuff found at home dep or lowes. For lights it has 2x2 36" flouros (20x4=80w total) and a blower for vent with passive air intake. :jump:

Little shot of the girls at night (lightning storm).

That's doable too I just find it to be more work then just taking a clone to be the next mother.

HempKat

Veteran
XFieldofDreamsX said:
I was wondering if anyone else does it this way and how to train the mom?

I'm sure there is but of members on this site I'm not sure. There is a member of OverGrow who is now at Planet Ganja who goes by Bud Buddah (not sure if that's the right spelling) he's very good at bonsai style.

I was wondering what's the longest anyone has kept buds in good condition for? I heard of blueberry being good for about three years but is that the best?

HempKat

Veteran
R.I.P. Overgrow said:
I was wondering what's the longest anyone has kept buds in good condition for? I heard of blueberry being good for about three years but is that the best?

I'm not really sure, the way I figure, if you got so much bud some stays around for three years plus, then you're growing too much weed. :D Seriously though, it's really a matter of how well you store things. Vacuum sealed and stored in a temperature controlled light proof area at around 40 degrees F. and weed can last a very long time. Store it in a zip lock in a box in the attic and it won't last very long at all.

ya, thats the plan. Is it better to have it at 40 or to put it in a freezer? I just want to have a big grow so i can store up for as long as i can without having to grow again. I just smoke my close friends up from time to time but wont sell it because ill run out down the road and use the money i got growing my bud for stuff far worse

HempKat

Veteran
R.I.P. Overgrow said:
ya, thats the plan. Is it better to have it at 40 or to put it in a freezer? I just want to have a big grow so i can store up for as long as i can without having to grow again. I just smoke my close friends up from time to time but wont sell it because ill run out down the road and use the money i got growing my bud for stuff far worse

Well the info posted below only shows and discusses the differences down to 41 degrees. I have heard however of people using freezers who claim it was fine. Then again I have heard others say it's bad for the bud, and helps to break it down. I stored stuff in the freezer before but only for a few months. In a few months I didn't notice it doing any harm.

9652THCPotencyStorageGraphs.jpg

Xdox

Hello wise one Hemp Kat I got a question dealing with watering. My plants are about 16 inches tall outside, and was wondering would it help the plants if I could water each one with a gallon a water a day or would that be too much and harming them or what? Thanks

HempKat

Veteran
R.I.P. Overgrow said:
wow thanks a lot that's really helpful

No problem, there's lots of useful charts and such in the first 2 pages (the oldest pages) of my gallery. :smile:

HempKat

Veteran
Xdox said:
Hello wise one Hemp Kat I got a question dealing with watering. My plants are about 16 inches tall outside, and was wondering would it help the plants if I could water each one with a gallon a water a day or would that be too much and harming them or what? Thanks

Well outdoors, a gallon a day isn't really that much, especially given how hot it can get this time of year in most places. Plus if planted directly into the earth there is a vast amount of space for that gallon to drain into. So I don't think it's exactly fair to say it would be too much. However, it could be called too often and inhibit root developement. The bigger more extensive the root system, the bigger and healthier the plant will be, more resistent to problems it might encounter thereby increasing it's chance of yielding a good harvest. A root system becomes big by the soil drying out to some degree so the roots have to stretch out further to find water and food. If you water a plant everyday, the immediate area where that root system is will pretty much stay wet and the roots will not have to stretch out as much. Also don't forget, if directly in the earth there is more water then just what we provide. Now if outdoors but still in a bucket the dynamics change a bit but still you would want a day or two at least between waterings.

Last edited:

Kiefer

Hello all.. got a bit of a question, I posted in the outdoor forum, but thought i'd ask here too just to see what some of you OG's think..

What do the experts think about vegging long flowering plants under 20+ hours of light, inducing flowering, then moving them outside after the solstice? That would give aproximatly 4 months to finish safely, if the stains would continue to flower. What is the general opinion on this? Am i overlooking anything? If they get good light, and a lot of room, can I get beautiful, huge, exotic buds that wouldnt normally finish? Would they revege no matter what because of the long days? I'm about 43 N in the NE united states..

The longest day, June 21, would include this much light, and decrease slightly every day thereafter:

Begin civil twilight 4:48 a.m.
Sunrise 5:23 a.m.
Sun transit 1:02 p.m.
Sunset 8:41 p.m.
End civil twilight 9:16 p.m.

http://aa.usno.navy.mil/data/docs/RS_OneDay.html

green_grow

Veteran
here's a rookie question for ya ... i know that worm castings are very popular as part of a soil mixture, but has anyone tried putting actual worms into their soil of their indoor grow ?
would they survive ? is there too high a risk of them carrying a disease in with them ?

HempKat

Veteran
Kiefer said:
Hello all.. got a bit of a question, I posted in the outdoor forum, but thought i'd ask here too just to see what some of you OG's think..

What do the experts think about vegging long flowering plants under 20+ hours of light, inducing flowering, then moving them outside after the solstice? That would give aproximatly 4 months to finish safely, if the stains would continue to flower. What is the general opinion on this? Am i overlooking anything? If they get good light, and a lot of room, can I get beautiful, huge, exotic buds that wouldnt normally finish? Would they revege no matter what because of the long days? I'm about 43 N in the NE united states..

The longest day, June 21, would include this much light, and decrease slightly every day thereafter:

Begin civil twilight 4:48 a.m.
Sunrise 5:23 a.m.
Sun transit 1:02 p.m.
Sunset 8:41 p.m.
End civil twilight 9:16 p.m.

http://aa.usno.navy.mil/data/docs/RS_OneDay.html

Well when I grew outdoors I never tried anything like that. I just planted in the spring and grew as normal. The 20+ hours is fine for veg and the extra time would make up for any loss of intensity if that's being done indoors. I'm not sure what to say on the inducing and then putting them out. I'd like to say if the light is too long then it's going to reveg. Thing is most long flowering plants in their native environment don't see a major swing in sun up / sun down time. So it may continue to flower if the light where it's at is short enough. One thing I'm not sure if you are factoring in is hardening. If you are vegging indoors and then transplanting outdoors a sudden transition to outdoors might be a bit of a shock to them. To ease this some people put the plants outdoors but not in the direct sun for a few days. Or they take them out for a few hours each day gradually increasing the time. You say you posted in the outdoor forum, I'd recommend you ask in this thread

http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?p=527572#post527572

Titled New York Outdoors 2006. The thread starter is an outdoor grower familiar with the conditions for your general region. Plus he starts his indoors and transplants so he may be able to help you. His name is JJScorpio.

Latest posts

Latest posts