What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Wanna Ask The Old Farts A Question?

HempKat

Just A Simple Old Dirt Farmer
Veteran
Erbsdaword1 said:
Wow...thanks!!!

More info then I bargained for!!!! And thats a GOOOOD THING!:jump:

Thanks Again!!

Erbs :sasmokin:

No problem, glad to be of assistance :D

CronCrazy

thanks for the knowledge, i know its expensive but i really cant find any RO water besides it, tried watering with tap but it caused a bunch of brown spots on my seedlings

Last edited:

HempKat

Veteran
CronCrazy said:
thanks for the knowledge, i know its expensive but i really cant find any RO water besides it, tried watering with tap but it caused a bunch of brown spots on my seedlings

Have you tried collecting rainwater and using that? Another option is if you use a dehumidifier to control humidity, the water it gaters is like RO Water.

Erbsdaword1

light leakage...

light leakage...

I might have some light leaking in on occation...would this cause the super slow flowering??

I am going to try and seal it up with some foam trim around the ac...and door.

Just wondering if that could slow it down. I am almost into week 8, and not much more progress on the flowering....

THanks

HempKat

Veteran
Erbsdaword1 said:
I might have some light leaking in on occation...would this cause the super slow flowering??

I am going to try and seal it up with some foam trim around the ac...and door.

Just wondering if that could slow it down. I am almost into week 8, and not much more progress on the flowering....

THanks

Light leaks can slow a plant down some but usually not much unless it's bad. However light leaks often cause the plant to turn hermie (male and female flowers on one plant)

The most likely thing for the slowness is the strain. You said at 7 weeks flowers were just starting, if that's the case then you likely have a sativa which generally take about 12 weeks, which means you got about 4 weeks to go, so you might as well relax.

nycdfan042

Its COOL to DROOL!!!!!!
Veteran
someone told me that you can run a small bbq grill(im assuming propane fuel source?) in your room for 10-15 minutes and produce c02? this person supposedly knows what hes talkin about, but im wondering if its true and if so would it be enough co2 for my small closet with a small bbq grill?. Im aware this is highly dangerous, and propper ventilation is required, i have a huge canfan/ scrubber(bigger than my 465cmf blower wich is hooked up venting to my attic). does any one have any info on this? thanks strain fiend*

Erbsdaword1

HempKat said:
Light leaks can slow a plant down some but usually not much unless it's bad. However light leaks often cause the plant to turn hermie (male and female flowers on one plant)

The most likely thing for the slowness is the strain. You said at 7 weeks flowers were just starting, if that's the case then you likely have a sativa which generally take about 12 weeks, which means you got about 4 weeks to go, so you might as well relax.

LOL....relaxing is no prob! :smoker:

I looked last night, didn't see any signs of hermi yet, but I could be wrong as this is as far as I have every had a plat survive :yoinks: Will keep a steady eye. Found the image via search, so I think I know what I am looking for...man I love this site!@... :woohoo:

EDIT:
Here is the baby...sativa? no? si? lol

I got some foam trim and rubber seal @ Le Dépôt de Maison. The edge around the ac had some uneven cuts...my super skill at work :Bolt:

Then the rubber seal around the door. Anyway, to make a short reply long :bat: if I did have light going in, its not now :woohoo:

Will let you know how things turn out.

Super thanks again!!! :bow: :bow:

Erbsdaword Alldatime :sasmokin:

Last edited:

sogman

I'm quite exstatic that someone like HempKat is here to brain storm with us newbies and confused alike. I think Im gonna try a waterfarm set-up even though bio buckets are possibly superior in some regards. After seeing HempHog's massive cola's one can't help but turn green with undying envy. There are so many experts it hurts staring at their huge yields and sick buds. It makes me all the more excited to move into my first home and construct a nice little waterfarm op.

Farmer Joe

Erbsdaword1 said:

I looked last night, didn't see any signs of hermi yet, but I could be wrong as this is as far as I have every had a plat survive :yoinks: Will keep a steady eye. Found the image via search, so I think I know what I am looking for...man I love this site!@... :woohoo:

EDIT:

I got some foam trim and rubber seal @ Le Dépôt de Maison. The edge around the ac had some uneven cuts...my super skill at work :Bolt:

Then the rubber seal around the door. Anyway, to make a short reply long :bat: if I did have light going in, its not now :woohoo:

Looks pretty darn sativa with its thin leaves.

HempKat

Veteran
nycdfan042 said:
someone told me that you can run a small bbq grill(im assuming propane fuel source?) in your room for 10-15 minutes and produce c02? this person supposedly knows what hes talkin about, but im wondering if its true and if so would it be enough co2 for my small closet with a small bbq grill?. Im aware this is highly dangerous, and propper ventilation is required, i have a huge canfan/ scrubber(bigger than my 465cmf blower wich is hooked up venting to my attic). does any one have any info on this? thanks strain fiend*

Well gas BBQ grills run off propane and a by-product of burning propane is co2 and a pretty good level of it because it is my understanding that co2 generators use propane too and if you grow indoors in winter and need heat a propane heater is good because of the co2.

The thing is, burning a grill in an exhaust room will not only be dangerous but the exhaust will suck out the co2 before it does much good. I'd say the risks to burning a gas grill in your room for the co2 would be to great and the results not worth the risk or wasting the propane.

Personally I don't think co2 does such an amazing job. If however you want to use it I also feel it's important that you use it properly. That means buying co2 tanks, a regulator and the hosing to guide it to where you want it. It's heavier then air so most have it above their grows so it kind of rains down on the plants. (Another problem with it coming from a heated source is the heat will make it rise which will allow your ventilation to get rid of it quicker, co2 is typically used in a sealed room. Also the heat of the grill would change your tempurature dynamics.

HempKat

Veteran
Erbsdaword1 said:

EDIT:

Well I can't say 100% for sure as that pic shows mostly new leaves which often start thin like a sativa but get fatter latter if it's an indica. If however they have been in 12/12 for 8 weeks and that's as far as they have gotten the are almost certainly a sativa because you would have to screw up an indica pretty bad to have it just that far along after 8 weeks of flowering.

So if we accept it's a sativa flowers and buds should really start developing soon. Good job on the light leak. It very likely wasn't causing a problem but it's good to have it taken care of so that it won't be a problem. :yes:

HempKat

Veteran
sogman said:
I'm quite exstatic that someone like HempKat is here to brain storm with us newbies and confused alike. I think Im gonna try a waterfarm set-up even though bio buckets are possibly superior in some regards. After seeing HempHog's massive cola's one can't help but turn green with undying envy. There are so many experts it hurts staring at their huge yields and sick buds. It makes me all the more excited to move into my first home and construct a nice little waterfarm op.

Well just as a warning, I won't be of much help to you with a waterfarm or any other form of hydro as I'm strictly a simple old dirt farmer. :D But I'll help as best I can and who knows, maybe since the thread has been more active lately we'll draw out a hydro old fart to assist me by then? :D

nycdfan042

Its COOL to DROOL!!!!!!
Veteran
HempKat said:
Personally I don't think co2 does such an amazing job. If however you want to use it I also feel it's important that you use it properly. That means buying co2 tanks, a regulator and the hosing to guide it to where you want it. It's heavier then air so most have it above their grows so it kind of rains down on the plants. (Another problem with it coming from a heated source is the heat will make it rise which will allow your ventilation to get rid of it quicker, co2 is typically used in a sealed room. Also the heat of the grill would change your tempurature dynamics.
well i have had excellent results thus far without Co2.....i always want healthier environments for my plants, and i always want to better my room for better yields and tastier final product. thanks for the answer
nycd fan!

HempKat

Veteran
nycdfan042 said:
well i have had excellent results thus far without Co2.....i always want healthier environments for my plants, and i always want to better my room for better yields and tastier final product. thanks for the answer
nycd fan!

Well done right I know it will improve yields although I'm not sure by what percent. I never really bothered looking into it much because a typical grow for me will hold me about one year. So I don't really need to improve yields. As for taste or anything like that I don't know if co2 impacts that or not.

CronCrazy

how you doing hempkat?
well im about to use chem nutes on my eldest plant and i have read somewhere that it isnt good to mix nutes with bottled water and your better off to use tap water, and if this is true do i use hotwater then cool it down/ cold water and let it reach room temps or warm? i mention the water temp because i read that there are different chemicals in both cold and hot water pipes.

HempKat

Veteran
CronCrazy said:
how you doing hempkat?
well im about to use chem nutes on my eldest plant and i have read somewhere that it isnt good to mix nutes with bottled water and your better off to use tap water, and if this is true do i use hotwater then cool it down/ cold water and let it reach room temps or warm? i mention the water temp because i read that there are different chemicals in both cold and hot water pipes.

I've never heard anything about using chemical nutes and bottled water. I have heard that you don't want to pre-mix chem nutes and then let stand in a bottle, as the nutes will go bad. I can't imagine how it could be a problem mixing with bottled water. There's less stuff in bottled water for the chemical stuff to react to then there is in tap water.

As for water temps well I would go with water from the cold pipe. Water from the hot pipe, sits in the pipes and hotwater heater for long periods and may be less good. I've always used the cold side, not because of what's there though, more habit then anything else. If using tap water it should almost always be allowed to stand at room temp for 24 hours to allow for additives like chlorine to evaporate. I hope that helps some.

Latest posts

Latest posts