What's new

Wanna Ask The Old Farts A Question?

Tips on keeping clones small while growing roots?

Tips on keeping clones small while growing roots?

Hi Old timers,
Any tips going on keeping my foliage small while growing some heftier roots? I want to really fill tallish 1.4 litre square pots with roots while keeping my leafage to a bare minimum for a SOG.
Is keeping them under regular fluorescents the way to go or what?
Thanks,
SW

High Country

Give me a Kenworth truck, an 18 speed box and I'll
Veteran
Hi Old timers,
Any tips going on keeping my foliage small while growing some heftier roots? I want to really fill tallish 1.4 litre square pots with roots while keeping my leafage to a bare minimum for a SOG.
Thanks,
SW

For single cola SOG trim lateral growth at 2 weeks into 12/12, use them for clones, works well. Plant at 4 per sq/ft.

Go big, HPS, 600W or 1000W, you can get a lot of weed out of one light and not burn the house down with electrical issues.

Ebb/flow is easy and works great for SOG.

I also put my clones straight on to 12/12 bloom nutes.

HempKat

Just A Simple Old Dirt Farmer
Veteran
Hi Old timers,
Thanks,
SW

Well if you're doing a true SoG you don't want to fill the pot with roots. In a true SoG you're supposed to put them in flower right away with the exception of maybe giving them a couple of days to establish themselves after roots first appear. If you veg them out and fill the pots with roots you'll be changing the plant's response.

Now if you aren't doing a true SoG and your goal isn't that bud on a stick that SoG style is meant to produce then yeah vegging for a long time under fluoros could help, also using something like Super Thrive or other vitamin B supplements (root stimulators) could help. LST and/or topping or any form of super cropping will also help keep the plant short while the roots grow.

If you do continue with what you're planning I'd caution you not to fill the pots too much with roots. If it becomes rootbound (pot as full of roots as it can handle) before going to flower then you'll likely have issues develope in flower which is not where you want issues developing.

For single cola SOG trim lateral growth at 2 weeks into 12/12, use them for clones, works well. Plant at 4 per sq/ft.

Go big, HPS, 600W or 1000W, you can get a lot of weed out of one light and not burn the house down with electrical issues.

Ebb/flow is easy and works great for SOG.

I also put my clones straight on to 12/12 bloom nutes.

Is that a reliable way to get new clones? Sure would save a lot of work on mothers and what not.
I´m planning on 2x 600´s over a 1m x 2m table. That´s enough isn´t it?

Dorje113

hello old timer's -

question - I have a clone that is in intermediate flower, some pistils, some calyxii already present. My issue is, it is my sole specimen. I want to take cuttings to perpetuate. There are no prime offshoots that are pistil/calyx free. most are short branches as well. the only branches long enough have just a fan leaf on it.

Haha, reminds me of the NL we got in early 90's... This guy had a super-dank NL plant and grew it with complete disregard for convention in a very strange hydro system and came out with these really good "cotton candy" buds. He gave a bud that was just trimmed to a friend of mine at the time, and instead of drying it further and smoking it, he planted it and grew it out! It ended up being a pretty spectacular plant, easy to grow, tolerant to abuse and pests, and very high quality in the right hands.

atomicfield

i got the borg, read a ton, decided on floramiteSC, bought on ebay, question is is it suppost to be yellowish and smell wicked, i heard about scams just now about ebay purchases thanks

HempKat

Veteran
i got the borg, read a ton, decided on floramiteSC, bought on ebay, question is is it suppost to be yellowish and smell wicked, i heard about scams just now about ebay purchases thanks

I have never used or known anyone who used it so I couldn't say for sure. From what I've heard it's powerful stuff though so having a strong smell wouldn't necessarily be unusual.

My question is;

I have a sativa dom girl in the cab and she's at 12+1/2 weeks of bloom, and most of her pistils are still white. She has some good dense buds & the trichs are mostly milky, foliage is yellowing up.

Will the pistils change after cutting?
Would anyone put this down to bad genetics? or just need more time maybe?

The seeds that I used were produced by mistake, when a friend left a few males in his room. His strains were Afghan big bud and white widow both males and females of each. There was seeds everywhere.
The others I done have all finished as they were more indica.
Should I just chop the sativa?
Anyone had this happen to them?

Thanks in advance for any comments.

CC

hoosierdaddy

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Some sativa will continue to throw white pistols for the duration.
IMO, clowdy trics on heavy sativa plants means pickin time.
Yes, they will all turn once chopped.
IMO, if you wish, you could let it go another week or two or more, but it will also be fine to chop now.

atomicfield

first off, i thank you to all who help, was just wondering if anyone has tried or heard of putting air hoses, say maybe three or four the length of a pot in the dirt, then lightly pumping air out the pin holes in the hose to aerate the soil, would it work and any benefit, just thinking........

HempKat

Veteran
first off, i thank you to all who help, was just wondering if anyone has tried or heard of putting air hoses, say maybe three or four the length of a pot in the dirt, then lightly pumping air out the pin holes in the hose to aerate the soil, would it work and any benefit, just thinking........

Never heard of it being done, if I'm understanding you correctly? Obviously the idea would be to provide more oxygen to the roots but I don't think it works quite like that for roots. To try to get them more oxygen I'd be inclined to use an airstone in my water for an hour or so before I water my plants.

HempKat

Veteran
My question is;

I have a sativa dom girl in the cab and she's at 12+1/2 weeks of bloom, and most of her pistils are still white. She has some good dense buds & the trichs are mostly milky, foliage is yellowing up.

Will the pistils change after cutting?
Would anyone put this down to bad genetics? or just need more time maybe?

The seeds that I used were produced by mistake, when a friend left a few males in his room. His strains were Afghan big bud and white widow both males and females of each. There was seeds everywhere.
The others I done have all finished as they were more indica.
Should I just chop the sativa?
Anyone had this happen to them?

Thanks in advance for any comments.

CC

I agree completely with what hoosierdaddy said, I recently grew a very sativa plant and it worked out like he's saying. It was supposed to be a 12 week strain but at 16 weeks it still had mostly white hairs, at week 17 I cut it because it just didn't seem to be changing anything. The hairs weren't changing, the buds weren't fattening, the triches were staying mostly cloudy.

Based on what you describe you could probably cut it now but I'd give it another week maybe just to make sure.

Cheers guys, I think I will probably just let her autumn off a bit more and then pull in a few days.
Been using tapwater for the last week @250ppm, but the run-off is at 350 still. Its came down from 500.
Is this acceptable to pull with it still at 350?
I know there is a lot of debate on flushing, I cant see 100ppm making much difference, but some would certainly disagree.
I'm in straight coco by the way.
The indica ones had a run-off at 250, same as the tapwater going in and these burn/taste fine. Maybe it'll drop in a few days?
Thanks again,

CC

atomicfield

thanks for the input as always hempkat, thought of adding airstone but i use gallon jugs, will shaking it real hard before watering be the same as airstone?

HempKat

Veteran
thanks for the input as always hempkat, thought of adding airstone but i use gallon jugs, will shaking it real hard before watering be the same as airstone?

To be honest I don't know for sure but I would think it wouldn't be the same. If you're going to shake a jug of water you have to put a lid on, so there's a limited supply of air being mixed in by the shaking. With an airstone (with the pump attached of course) is constantly pushing new air into the water.

HempKat

Veteran
Cheers guys, I think I will probably just let her autumn off a bit more and then pull in a few days.
Been using tapwater for the last week @250ppm, but the run-off is at 350 still. Its came down from 500.
Is this acceptable to pull with it still at 350?
I know there is a lot of debate on flushing, I cant see 100ppm making much difference, but some would certainly disagree.
I'm in straight coco by the way.
The indica ones had a run-off at 250, same as the tapwater going in and these burn/taste fine. Maybe it'll drop in a few days?
Thanks again,

CC

Alot is going to depend on personal preference which is why there is so much debate over the issue in the first place. So many seem to think thier way is the only right way. I know people who don't flush at all and they swear they can't tell the difference, then again I know others that are the exact opposite.

I'd say if you can wait for it to drop some more then wait, if you can't I don't think the extra 100 ppm is going to make that much of a difference.

Gold123

I use gallon jugs too, since I started using air stones in them I am getting larger root mass, larger plants. I got one of those gang valves at the pet store and do 5 jugs at a time air stone in each. I also have a second air pump and do a 3 gallon jug. If I need it I pour it into a watering can a gallon at a time. This way between watering's they sit for 3-4 days bubbling.
I used to shake and from experience I can tell you, you can't shake long enough to dissolve enough oxygen in the water.
I have tried using a blender for small amounts for my babies. I let it run on high for 5 minutes. Seems to work.