What's new

Wanna Ask The Old Farts A Question?

opinions on cloning times? if goal is to grow outside and mother (inside) is on 18/6 (lights on around 11pm), should we match the mother's schedule or try to mimic natural time or something else/in between? thanks.

thanks a bunch HempKat. i went ahead & took a few bottom branches w/ the least amount of pre-flowers. they were only about 2.5 inches tall, but Ive cloned shorter. lets hope for the best!! thanks again.

HempKat

Just A Simple Old Dirt Farmer
Veteran
Thanks, the tips of about half the leafs have curled, only the tips. Been like that for about a week. Could this be due to the ph level?

It could be, then again it could be something else. If it's just effecting half the leaves it likely is something else. If bad ph was going on for a week or more and making leaves curl it would be doing it to the whole plant by now, not just half of it.

HempKat

Veteran
opinions on cloning times? if goal is to grow outside and mother (inside) is on 18/6 (lights on around 11pm), should we match the mother's schedule or try to mimic natural time or something else/in between? thanks.

I'm not really sure since I didn't clone back when I grew outside. I do know that putting clones outside that have been use to 18/6 can cause them to act funny but they usually straighten themselves out from what I've heard.

I would think it would be good to match the light the clones get, to the outdoors but I don't know for sure if it makes a difference or not.

hoosierdaddy

ICMag Donor
Veteran
FWIW...
I was veggin two MrNice Shit for well over 100 days under 20/4.
I put them outside for a couple of weeks during a transitional period in my cab and waiting for their spot for flower. They were put out on the patio the last week of Apr and when I brought them in for flowering, they were both well into flowering with bud sites well defined.
They both exploded when put under the HIDs.
One was further along in flower than the other, and the one that was further hardly stretched at all, while the other stretched as it would normally.

:dunno:

Spiritchild

Thank you, Hemp Kat,I have another question. High Times magazine ran a huge centerfold type picture of Lemon Skunk and in the article they refered to it as "geneticly engineered". When I looked it up on the strain guide here, it said it came from "old Amsterdam genetics". Which is correct? I have noticed that in the MJ world, the incorrect term "clone" is used when refering to simple cuttings. Is the "engineered" word used by High Times also without an understanding of what it really means? I will not grow genetically modified plants of any kind. Can you shed any light on this?

HempKat

Veteran
Thank you, Hemp Kat,I have another question. High Times magazine ran a huge centerfold type picture of Lemon Skunk and in the article they refered to it as "geneticly engineered". When I looked it up on the strain guide here, it said it came from "old Amsterdam genetics". Which is correct? I have noticed that in the MJ world, the incorrect term "clone" is used when refering to simple cuttings. Is the "engineered" word used by High Times also without an understanding of what it really means? I will not grow genetically modified plants of any kind. Can you shed any light on this?

I can't shed any factual light on this as I've never worked with or looked into Lemon Skunk. My guess is that High Times is using a term for how it looks on paper. To say a strain is genetically engineered allows the reader's mind to conjure up all sorts of images. Some people might see that and imagine a laboratory somewhere with a scientist using fancy and unrecognizable machinary to alter the genetic code of a seed. Others might see a breeder carefully selecting plants for specific genetic traits and then breeding them with other plants specifically picked for traits. In either case one might accurately say genetic engineering is going on but one seems sinister and mysterious while the other is how things have been done for ages.

If a strain out there was genetically engineered the more mysterious and seemingly sinister way, you'd be hearing big controversy about it more then likely.

Gold123

Nearly all the fruits and vegetables you eat are genetically engineered, the term is being use, as HK has said, is referring to strains that have been selectively bread. There are no scientists doing DNA or gene splicing on these plants. I would point out that if they did it would not make any difference to your health in any way.
If genetic engineering wasn't being used in agriculture you wouldn't have today's sweet corn, red ripe tomatoes, big strawberries, wheat, and rice etc...
Genetic engineering isn't a bad or dangerous thing, it's science improving our lives.

Spiritchild

Don't Believe the Talking Heads on TV

Don't Believe the Talking Heads on TV

Selective breeding and "genetic engineering" are two vastly different procedures. None of the fruits you named are GMO. Corn, soy, canola - these are crops utilizing a large volume of geneticly modified seed. Selective breeding produced the large strawberries, huge tomatoes and notably the nectarine. Selective breeding is often given a big leg up by the discovery of what is know of as "sports". This is a natural genetic mutation which is discovered growing in nature or cultivation.

Gold123: I suggest you educate yourself before you assume that GMO's are harmless. There have been deaths and illnesses caused by them, they are banned in Europe and viciously fought in India. You are not getting the whole story from the controled media which is telling you that GMO is all good. That story begins and ends with money. These people promoting GMO don't care about you. They care about money and POWER. Ya'll need to WAKE UP!

Gold123

Selective breeding and "genetic engineering" are two vastly different procedures. None of the fruits you named are GMO. Corn, soy, canola - these are crops utilizing a large volume of geneticly modified seed. Selective breeding produced the large strawberries, huge tomatoes and notably the nectarine. Selective breeding is often given a big leg up by the discovery of what is know of as "sports". This is a natural genetic mutation which is discovered growing in nature or cultivation.

Gold123: I suggest you educate yourself before you assume that GMO's are harmless. There have been deaths and illnesses caused by them, they are banned in Europe and viciously fought in India. You are not getting the whole story from the controled media which is telling you that GMO is all good. That story begins and ends with money. These people promoting GMO don't care about you. They care about money and POWER. Ya'll need to WAKE UP!

Urban legend

Spiritchild

Thank you, HempKat,

Your impression seems right to me. When I read those words in High Times I took it at face value. But, you're right, if they were actually engineering DNA, it would be more like a major story than a one line caption.

Thanks again,
Spiritchild

HempKat

Veteran

But but but, I just laid down. Seriously though, nobody needs to wake up. You presume too much in telling people what they need to do or not do when they have not asked for such help.

People are allowed to have differing opinions. If Spiritchild prefers to consume foods that have not been genetically altered then fine, that's Spiritchild's right. By the same token if Gold123 wants to believe that genetically altered foods are safe, that is his right as well.

HempKat

Veteran
Thank you, HempKat,

Your impression seems right to me. When I read those words in High Times I took it at face value. But, you're right, if they were actually engineering DNA, it would be more like a major story than a one line caption.

Thanks again,
Spiritchild

Well definately it would be something they would want to explain more carefully. There's too many in our community that would express similar concerns to yours. Hell there's a whole bunch growers that feel even using chemical fertalizers is too dangerous. Which that's where I figure you'd hear more about it if weed were being genetically altered like that. People like yourself would be up in arms and spreading the word to watch out for what you're smoking.

Then again, I do recall years ago reading about this process were you treat a plant with something which among other things makes the crop unusable but supposedly the seed from that crop will produce super potent weed, and that was back in the 70's. So if people were doing that then, one can only imagine what they might be doing now.

S

snuffalupagus

hello all, i didn't really know where to ask this so i thought i would try here.
if a plant has been growing for 30 days, 20 days 20/4 and the last 10 days have been 12/12 light and dark but it hasn't shown any female or male signs. will it be okay to change back to 20/4 light and dark to allow it to grow a bit more? or would this possibly mess the plant up?
:thank you:

hoosierdaddy

ICMag Donor
Veteran
After 10 days the buds will have begin to set. I bet you can see preflowers up close.
Even if they aren't visible yet, they are ready to be. When you switch back, it probably won't hurt the plant any, but it may send it into a stall. The stall allows it to start reverting back to the veg state again. This may result in some funny leaves and growth pattern until it gets itself oriented again. It may not start growing like it was again until 30-40 days later.

I would suggest taking it at least a few more days of flower, since you are so close to flowers being set, you really should find out the sex of the plant now so no more time will be wasted on it if it's a male.

S

snuffalupagus

thank you for your response. the reason i ask is that i had 4 plants growing and 2 of them were growing a lot faster and looked a lot better than the other 2, and they started to show preflowers. one of them looked like it had tiny little balls, and the other one looked like it was getting stockier and like pistils would pop out, but then i looked 2 days later and the one that was stocky had clearly visible balls all overits tips and the one that had baby male looking preflowers had hardly changed. so i now only have the other 2 smaller plants which i would like to get a bit bigger. i guess i should wait until i am sure of sex, then start to reveg if they are still a bit puny? does this sound right?
:comfort:

hoosierdaddy

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I always hate taking one out of flower before it is finished. Some plants just don't take well to it and it may take a couple of months for it to get straitened out again. By that time you can have more seeds popped and perhaps even sexed out before that plant will be back to producing normal 5 finger leaves.
I would probably keep on flowering the ones I had, and start some new seeds now.
Not sure what you are growing, but many strains and hybrids will double (or more) their size from the time they are put into flower until the stop stretching.
Even if they don't get a large as you would like, you will have smoke sooner. And probably be ready to put the seedlings into flower.
Don't know your setup, but I have found it always a good idea to have separate places for veg and flower. That gives you some options to play with.
It must always depend on what you want to do. You must please yourself, and sometimes it takes us a bit of experience, trial and error, failure and success to get us to a place that makes us happy.
Give it your best, and things will always turn out for the good!

*edit
Don;t know what you are growing, but as an example of stretch, I flowered out a SSH when it was very young and only 7" tall. It grew to over 6 foot tall before it was finished. I had strings, weights, and pulleys trying to keep her inside the cab!

HempKat

Veteran
hello all, i didn't really know where to ask this so i thought i would try here.
if a plant has been growing for 30 days, 20 days 20/4 and the last 10 days have been 12/12 light and dark but it hasn't shown any female or male signs. will it be okay to change back to 20/4 light and dark to allow it to grow a bit more? or would this possibly mess the plant up?
:thank you:

It should be okay, the only potential problem is that the plant will need to revert from flower to veg which can cause a delay but since you were only in flower for 10 days it shouldn't be much of a delay.

HempKat

Veteran
thank you for your response. the reason i ask is that i had 4 plants growing and 2 of them were growing a lot faster and looked a lot better than the other 2, and they started to show preflowers. one of them looked like it had tiny little balls, and the other one looked like it was getting stockier and like pistils would pop out, but then i looked 2 days later and the one that was stocky had clearly visible balls all overits tips and the one that had baby male looking preflowers had hardly changed. so i now only have the other 2 smaller plants which i would like to get a bit bigger. i guess i should wait until i am sure of sex, then start to reveg if they are still a bit puny? does this sound right?
:comfort:

From what you're describing I'm guessing the smaller plants are females if they are all the same strain. I say that because you say the taller ones both ended up being males. You can't use this as a rule to sex plants by because it's not always true but most of the times, the taller plants within a group of plants from the same strain, will typically be male and they'll often be the first to show their sex. In nature this arrangement gives them time to develop their pollen in advance of the females so that when the males are ready, so are the females. The taller size positions them to do the job of pollenation more effectively because it's pollen that is mostly wind driven.

It's hard to say if you should even bother to make the other two plants bigger by reverting them to veg. When it comes to indoor growing bigger is not always better. I have a 1000W light that I use for flower. That's about the most powerful you can use for growing. Even with that I prefer to have my plants stay under 4 foot tall total which usually means sending them to flower when they're about 2 feet tall. Once they get over 4 feet tall the extra height is wasted. What I mean by that is my light only gives good growth about 4 feet down (not counting the distance between the light and plant), more then 4 feet down the growth is very poor and almost non existant. So if say I grew a plant 6 foot tall, the bottom 2 feet of that plant would produce nothing worth harvesting.

There is a way of working around the height issue, by changing the orientation of the light to the plant. Typically grow lights come with a reflector hood where the bulb goes and is designed to be hung horizontally. Growers have learned however that if you remove the hood so that it's just a socket with a bare bulb and you hang it vertically then you can grow bigger plants because the light gives good growth for the same distance above the bulb as below. So like with my light, if I hung it vertically, I could deal with 8 foot plants and not have wasted space on the plant. I don't do that though because it would really be too tall to manage in the space I have to work with.

I would say that if your plants are at least 2 feet tall now then just leave them in flower if they turn out to be female. I don't see where reverting them to veg to grow bigger is going to do you much good.