What's new

waiting to flower after topping

Grunt

Hey all, I've always waited for my plants to grow out after topping before actually flipping to 12hrs. Can one of you pro growers out there tell me if the stretch prior to flowering will be sufficient enough to grow full length colas. I mean can I top em and just shove em in the flowering room and expect normal results? thanx, Grunt

V

Voodoo

I routinely trim mine down to stumpy remains like rose bushes and then toss em into flowering, especially if they're really stretchy strains. Heres a shot of a chocolope:

100_1859.jpg

and here she is several weeks later (still many to go)

100_2133.jpg

I also top branches growing too quickly in early flowering, promotes a more even canopy with my multiple topping method.

Grunt

Voodoo, thanks for your input. I would have thought more people would chime in but maybe there's alot of folks out there waiting for more opinions or definitive answers. Grunt

Greyskull

Twice as clear as heaven and twice as loud as reas
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i like to give them a few days/week to recover from the stress of topping before i change the lights - to let the lower growth have a chance to catch up to the canopy line. obviously you can top & change to 12/12 without much problem, too

SumDumGuy

"easy growing type"
Veteran
Hi,
I'm a big advocate for topping a week into flowering. This will greatly reduce stretch as the plant is focusing it's energy healing as opposed to upward growth.

Grunt

Hey SDG, thanx for your opinion. Do you get full length colas when you use your method?. You could just train the run away stretchers and not lose any buds. It just seems that topping during flowering just aint right.

Stressing plants out during any point in flower will only diminish harvest, not for me. I have been training my chocolope out after topping. It is by far the most receptive variety I have ever bent. By training, I mean that I bend 2-8 inches of the top branches nearly in half, in the direction I want them to grow. My chocolope was extremely responsive to this, taking down plant height by nearly half, and doubling the area the plant was was receiving light in. It looks like it's ready to stack. I'll try to get some before and after picks going on, it will be my first choco-run.
Again, stressing flowering plants is the last thing I ever want to do.

SumDumGuy

"easy growing type"
Veteran
Stressing plants out during any point in flower will only diminish harvest, not for me. I have been training my chocolope out after topping. It is by far the most receptive variety I have ever bent. By training, I mean that I bend 2-8 inches of the top branches nearly in half, in the direction I want them to grow. My chocolope was extremely responsive to this, taking down plant height by nearly half, and doubling the area the plant was was receiving light in. It looks like it's ready to stack. I'll try to get some before and after picks going on, it will be my first choco-run.
Again, stressing flowering plants is the last thing I ever want to do.

Hi Greencloud,
And this is why we are all here to share information. To learn from each other. Different strokes for different folks. Thank you for your negative rating on my previous comment. It only goes to show that you aren't willing to try new techniques. Take care friend.

ChaosCatalunya

5.2 club is now 8.1 club...
Veteran
Topping a plant sets it back 10 days/2 weeks, training does not. Topping removes almost all the plant's Auxins [the growth Hormone that naturally flows to the highest point of the plant] and she has to remanufacture them.... Training spreads the Auxins to all the equally highest points.

So, I would only ever top a plant if she needs to be set back relative to her neighbours, normally this is only when something has gone badly wrong.

Last edited:

SumDumGuy

"easy growing type"
Veteran
This is all very funny to me because I've personally noted NO difference between a plant topped 2 weeks before flowering and a plant topped a week into flowering. You guys have to get your noses out of the text books and just GROW.

To say Auxins are located only on the plants tops is a ridiculous statement.

Anyway as the OP asked "can I top em and just shove em in the flowering room and expect normal results?" Yes you can.

M

Mike Seed

Thank you for your negative rating on my previous comment. It only goes to show that you aren't willing to try new techniques. Take care friend.

Don't sweat it bro.

I positive rated you to set you on balance.

You are good to go and grow in my book.

Keep posting!

DankSide

Topping at the start of 12/12 isn't necessarily the wrong way to go, usually its for those set on maintaining a level multi-strain canopy.

For the start of flower, you will be okay, topping with an strong indica strain at the start of flower MAY slightly diminish your yield.

Just don't do any intensive training or trimming AFTER the start of flowering(2-4 weeks) - you will find if you try to supercrop branches or top mid-flower that you will get stress, hermies or lower yield.

Grass Lands

Veteran
It depends on the strain, my Angels Mercy is one stout bitch, she stretches very little when placed in flowering and topping her right before or after she goes in will fuck her yield in a bad way, now the JTR I grow is quite the opposite...she can take it and loves to be topped up to one week into flower and if she isn't topped she will take off like a roman candle...

ChaosCatalunya

5.2 club is now 8.1 club...
Veteran
This is all very funny to me because I've personally noted NO difference between a plant topped 2 weeks before flowering and a plant topped a week into flowering. You guys have to get your noses out of the text books and just GROW.

To say Auxins are located only on the plants tops is a ridiculous statement.

Anyway as the OP asked "can I top em and just shove em in the flowering room and expect normal results?" Yes you can.

Auxins are more complex than what I said, but effectively, what I said was correct. Topping sets the plant back more than training.

wiki
An important principle of plant organization based upon auxin distribution is apical dominance, which means that the auxin produced by the apical bud (or growing tip) diffuses downwards and inhibits the development of ulterior lateral bud growth, which would otherwise compete with the apical tip for light and nutrients. Removing the apical tip and its suppressive hormone allows the lower dormant lateral buds to develop, and the buds between the leaf stalk and stem produce new shoots which compete to become the lead growth. This behavior is used in pruning by horticulturists.

gdtrfb

have you seen my lighter?
ICMag Donor
Veteran
it's going to depend on the strain, and what you want it to do, really. some strains, a topping without recovery time will lead to 'horns' (two nodes, at the top, that just grow buds in an effort to be 'the new top') some will stretch those nodes out, then form separated 'normal' tops once they have. the former (in my experience) can be a yield killer, the latter isn't.

no real way to know but to test it. get the scissors out, and find out.

Grunt

Thanks for the replies all. My normal method is to top every 4th node leaving 3 nodes in place. After topping I let them grow out about 6" to 8" and and then I start training for an even, hedge like canopy. The end result is many, many topps and a canopy where no one top shades another. Lots of colas are the end result. Bog replied to a PM and confirmed that topping then letting them grow out before switching to flower is his practice also. Of course he was refering to his own strain of Sour Bubble. I have found that any plant that will train well by goose necking will bring about the desired results. To each his own. Again thanks everyone for your opinions. Grunt

SumDumGuy

"easy growing type"
Veteran
Don't sweat it bro.

I positive rated you to set you on balance.

You are good to go and grow in my book.

Keep posting!

LoL thanks Mike,
I +rep'd you friend. It's crazy how someone asks a question and you answer from experience but then you get bulldozed when someone "Cervantes guide" says other wise. Nonetheless lets over grow this friggin planet!!!

Grass Lands

Veteran
Topping sets the plant back more than training.

This is a touchy area...if a plant is topped with the right timing there will be no set back in growth...however top at the wrong time and the plants will take time to heal and start to veg out again...

This is how I top...I usually let the plant get to 16-18" at this point there should be multiple side branches, at this point I clone top the plant, not just the tip...but 4-6" is chopped off and then I look at the remaining branches and choose the ones I want for the main tops...usually 4-6 mains depending on the strain...this is done 2 weeks prior to putting the plant into flowering and has worked quite well over the years for me...however, some plants like to be topped and some will tolerate it...and there are a few that do not like it at all...

Latest posts

Latest posts