What's new

WA might ban MMJ doctors.

MrPinkLived

After reading through all the changes etc it seems like the clinics could just rename themselves or offer more services. They could become natural medicine clinics that prescribe massage therapy, MMJ, and other natural remedies. At least I hope it will be that easy.

When are the new laws supposed to take effect? immediately? 6 months, a year?

True, they could stay open by doing that, but the fact that they recommend MMJ would have to become strictly word of mouth. It will be illegal for them to advertise that they recommend MMJ.

I'm not sure, I think certain parts would be immediately after the governor sings it in, but some parts are dated, some say 2012, one part says 2016.

Also, welcome to the forums MrPinkLived.

M

mugenbao

True, they could stay open by doing that, but the fact that they recommend MMJ would have to become strictly word of mouth. It will be illegal for them to advertise that they recommend MMJ
That is so asinine, I can't understand why this was even suggested. It's like they are saying "we want to clarify the law and allow dispensaries and broaden the number of types of medical professionals who can give recommendations" and "we want to hide this dirty little secret" at the same time.

Frakking politicians :mad:

merlin123

ICMag Donor
Worse thing going on now is WA state is the AG for Eastern WA sent out letters to anyone renting retail space for dispensary use that they will be charged with a felony for doing so. Hopefully the bill currently passed by the Senate and the House will stop this nonsense. So if you live in WA state it's ok to have a dispensary on the west side by not the east side. Gregoire is suppose to be in contact with Eric Holder over the latest crazy over a plant.

GanjaPharma

yep, gregoire (staunchly anti MMJ) thinks she has all the democratic votes no matter what she does. so now she is sending a letter for "advice" from holder....what do you think the advice is gonna be??
"dear Governor G...go ahead and sign the damn thing, we dont care! keep the fyah blazin, love, Eric H."

looks like we might have squeezed a decent bill out of the legislature, but she is gonna put the kibosh on it for sure.

GanjaPharma

just read this
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2014777869_medpot15m.html

nice quote from the story
In a letter to Gov. Chris Gregoire on Thursday, U.S. Attorneys Jenny Durkan of Seattle and Michael Ormsby of Spokane wrote that the bill would undermine drug enforcement and could result in an array of prosecutions or civil penalties against dispensary owners and growers, as well as against state regulators enforcing the proposed law.

The prosecutors were responding to Gregoire's request a day earlier for "clear guidance" about the legislative proposal, a sweeping expansion of the state's 1998 voter-approved medical-marijuana law.

"In light of the Department of Justice's guidance, it is clear that I cannot sign a bill that authorizes our state employees to license marijuana dispensaries when the department would prosecute those involved," Gregoire said in a statement Thursday evening. She pledged to work with lawmakers on a new proposal.

MrPinkLived

True, they could stay open by doing that, but the fact that they recommend MMJ would have to become strictly word of mouth. It will be illegal for them to advertise that they recommend MMJ.

I'm not sure, I think certain parts would be immediately after the governor sings it in, but some parts are dated, some say 2012, one part says 2016.

Also, welcome to the forums MrPinkLived.

Well thank you NirvanaP :)
Yeah I'm sure they wouldn't have the booming business they do now. But through sites like this and word of mouth I think they could do okay. I found out about my clinic through word of mouth.

I just got my card a couple months ago. However it is only for 6 months then a follow up that will grant me another 6 months. I would only have to renew once a year after that. I bought all new equipment, got a couple starts to turn to mothers, etc... Now I may not even be able to get a full cycle out before things change and my 6 months expires.. so I will be in a mad scramble to find a new doc, or find out where my current one sets up a new shop (if he does at all). I may be faced with the choice, finish illegally or tear it all down without cropping out once...

My neighbors would love nothing more than to try to get me busted, and at my age doing it illegally under those conditions isn't worth the stress. So I may be done before I even get started. I'm trying to think positively and assume loop holes will be found and exploited. Then hopefully sites like this will have sticky threads that will list all the new MMJ sympathetic clinics as word comes in.

cdougy

Never voting for gregoire again if she vetos this. Grow a freakin spine lady. What ever happened to standing up for states rights? Isn't that the governers job?

Governor Gregoire says she will not sign the bill because of the response she got from the state's AGs. It appears that this bill is actually dead now.

Edit: oh lol, this is old news. for me, this is great news, hopefully Sensible Washington gets it legalized before they get another bill together.

merlin123

ICMag Donor
If the Obama Administration is threatening WA state with shutting down all dispensaries, how long before they go after all of them in the US? Me thinks big pharma and political donations might be part of this.

dagnabit

Game Bred
Veteran
If the Obama Administration is threatening WA state with shutting down all dispensaries, how long before they go after all of them in the US? Me thinks big pharma and political donations might be part of this.

WHAT?!?!?!?

but i thought the obummer was our friend?

lol

pearlemae

May your race always be in your favor
Veteran
Seems Obama sent a letter or threat or what could be termed as helping fight the war on drugs. In the letter he said that dispensaries and collective grows are contrary to the will of the government, and the DEA will continue to bust every one they can find. The Washington Governor decided to not sign the bill, there by consigning it to the junk pile of failed bills only this one passed but the Pres stepped in. Once again the Obama administration says one thing and does the other. He did say that his admin would leave medical MJ alone, so much for that fairy tail I get a link up shortly.

DiscoBiscuit

weed fiend
Veteran
From the "letter" from the eastern and western US attorneys of Washington State.

"The Washington legislative proposals will create a licensing scheme that permits large-scale marijuana cultivation and distribution."

Maybe Washington state's proposal is too large-scale?

MrPinkLived

hmm well I do smoke a lot of weed, I'm probably missing something.... I know it was going to give protection to people and dispensaries but it was also going to make it tough to get MMJ cards, and crack down on mmj doctors, basically making 80-90% of the MMJ market potentially disappear. IMO things continuing as is.... is cool with me. As is, if the cops show up and you present them papers, most will say.. alright sorry to bother you, we'll fix that front door we broke down for you. There is a chance they will take everything and make you take it to court and face a judge and let them decide... I'd rather take those chances than have it become difficult/near impossible to get a card, forcing you to be completely illegal or quit.

Gregoire sucks. What a spineless twit. The only way the federal gov't will ever learn to let the state's run themselves is to stand up to the bastards and tell them to fuck off.

Meet the new boss. Just like the old boss.