What's new

Vintage Colombian

red rider

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Needs more cure but very nice like this.
IMG_20230504_135917751_MFNR~2.jpg

red rider

red rider

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Still going strong, had another high pressure system settle in giving us bright sunny days. Gets down to freezing for a couple hours before dawn when the skies are clear.
IMG_20230506_094452768_MFNR~2.jpg

With the exception of the tips of the branches that are still stretching, the flowers are swelling and covered in sticky resin. I'm going to let them grow as long as they want but I have some other plants I want to flower in that spot.
IMG_20230506_094500165_MFNR~2.jpg

red rider

bigherb

Veteran
Red rider

Thanks for continuing to share your Quest
And Amazing journey

I hope you do but that property , sounds like a great place . Your wheels have been in motion keep it going

If something better comes along in the future , pursue it then . For now make the most of this opportunity

Do you have Any friends connects or traditional Oldschool Colombian cannabis that you have smoked from Tolima Recently ?

1luvbigherb

red rider

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Where I am now, I do know a few growers here and although I've never seen or smoked it one guys grows mangobiche. For me it's mostly indoor growers running new hybrids. I personally don't know anyone really interested in long flowering native varieties but I'm sure someone is.
IMG_20230506_094415404_MFNR.jpg

There's so many growers here many isolated on quite. I can totally understand not wanting to grow these big long flowering plants but I really prefer the effect of these plants.

red rider

agrokingoz1

Id think there's still some growers here doing old strains but I don't see it. I work within really small circles so I've no idea what's out there. I know a few growers here but none grow sativa, mostly hyped up internet strains. View attachment 18834786
I don't see much interest in the original Colombian although I know there's a few local seed companies that sell SMG,PR and mangobiche. Most of my Colombians are from bud I collected here over the years and new varieties I stumble upon locally.
View attachment 18834789

red rider
buenos dias red rider como estas...man just wanting to know your thoughts on mango bieche.i was told that this strain no longer around .have you ever grown any ...

red rider

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Howdy buddy, there's several types of mangobiche around. About a month ago a friend of mine was telling me about some nice mangobiche from Cali. But yeah I've grown a few plants from different sources and had nixed results. But it's an equatorial long flowering plant that has moderate potency. I haven't grown a lot of it so could be some exceptional phenotypes. In 2019 I grew some mangobiche from the national university in Bogota. I had two nice females and pollenated them with an ACE Bangi Haze and made seeds. In 2020 I grew out a few seeds but didn't find anything that stood out.
I've got some grower friends in Cachipy that grow their version of mangobiche, I wasn't impressed.
But most definitely mangobiche around.

red rider

red rider

ICMag Donor
Veteran
My outdoor plants are slowly being harvested as they mature. These plants keep stretching while the older Flowers mature. I hate trimming even for myself but I'm doing it slowly so not so bad.
IMG_20230512_105804083_MFNR.jpg

After smoking some nice dried flower for a couple weeks I still like it but doesn't seem as potent now.
When I first started sampling the hit seemed almost overwhelming, now it's calmed down.
IMG_20230512_105819148_MFNR.jpg

The taste which should change with longer curing is delightful. Reminds me very much of the SMG with a sweet earthy smell and taste. The comes on slowly and builds to a beautiful funcional peak that comes down clean. However I smoke way more than needed and get sleepy by early evening.

red rider

SpaceCowboy083

I haven’t been onli e for a couple years, I’m happy to see you are still working with these amazing plants. Looks like I have some reading to do!

red rider

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Welcome my friend, I look forward to your input. This is the lasted variety I've been working on. Six months so far.
IMG-20230516-WA0013.jpeg

I had to cut some of the branches off but it's still putting out new flowers. I hate trimming even for myself but I want the best manicure. Please feel free to comment.

red rider
IMG-20230516-WA0013.jpeg

Piff_cat

love your thread ! recently growing out punto rojo cbg and i found a really late showing male thats now throwing pistils at terminal ends of branch creating its own seeds with good resin. it has the red traits in stems and came out of germination with curved leaves. have you run into any of these in your projects?
1684417212100.png

1684417242313.png

red rider

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Yes unfortunately I've seen that type of hermi. Mostly I had a few of those plants in some mangobiche from the national university. However I don't recall CBG pr doing that, I've also seen that in a few Mexican varieties too.

Wolverine97

Veteran
DJ Short believes those male hermies are great for breeding with. The rationale does make some logical sense, but I'm too lazy to dig up the article I read. The short of it was that using those hermie males increases the amount of female genes in a population.

Nice plants, btw.

funkyhorse

Howdy buddy, there's several types of mangobiche around. About a month ago a friend of mine was telling me about some nice mangobiche from Cali. But yeah I've grown a few plants from different sources and had nixed results. But it's an equatorial long flowering plant that has moderate potency. I haven't grown a lot of it so could be some exceptional phenotypes. In 2019 I grew some mangobiche from the national university in Bogota. I had two nice females and pollenated them with an ACE Bangi Haze and made seeds. In 2020 I grew out a few seeds but didn't find anything that stood out.
I've got some grower friends in Cachipy that grow their version of mangobiche, I wasn't impressed.
But most definitely mangobiche around.

red rider
Hi there RR
I had 5 Mangobiche CBG males/pollen producers, all of them showed pistils first outdoors, one of them even grew first female flowers and only then started to grow male balls. All of the mangobiche males from CBG made seeds on themselves
Mangobiche male 5.jpeg

I have never heard of Mangobiche before starting to read forums to learn to grow
I grew Mangobiche from CBG and TLT
I am impressed at the extremely low potency of this mangobiche stock didnt matter source, CBG version flowers from equinox to equinox while TLT version is ready by winter solstice
Why people/breeders would save this strain and breed/work for such a long time with something like this?
My neighbours who are family parents like it because it doesnt open their apetite and it doesnt get them high so they can keep doing their parental tasks, it is a kind of ganja placebo

One thing is a matter of identity and national pride and another thing is weed to get you high
Is there any pure sativa weed left growing commercially in Colombia that gets you high or everything is lost and all is left is cripi?
What colombians are bringing south as "colombian gold" smokes, tastes and hits like Amnesia or any other degraded dutch weed
In the 20th century the colombian weed coming to the south of the continent was the best in the world
With food happened the same.
I left south america in the 20th century and came back recently
20th century food was excellent top notch but todays food is degraded with all kind of agrotoxics and GMO practices.
Last century soil was dark brown almost black at the soybean producing regions of south america, now the soil is grey from all the agro poisoning

Have a nice weekend and best of wishes for your projects

Piff_cat

DJ Short believes those male hermies are great for breeding with. The rationale does make some logical sense, but I'm too lazy to dig up the article I read. The short of it was that using those hermie males increases the amount of female genes in a population.

Nice plants, btw.
i agree i think there are important genes that are carryovers from primal monoceious times located in these plants. and extra female traits in the male could also be good. im not sure that a male showing pistils would automatically create females forming balls . and the possible diversity which is kept could give a wider range of females to select from then at that point sexual stability evaluation could come into play. plus there might be some freaky diversity created when the male selfes itself we shall see

red rider

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Well like I said, I'm not a mangobiche fan. I'm focusing more on finding nice no name local varieties that I find interesting. I never heard of mangobiche in the export years ago. Regardless I don't have time or interest growing it anymore there's much better stuff around.
I am learning how to reverse and self clones but before I couldn't imagine using a herni to make seeds with.

red rider

red rider

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Going on six months in flower and still going. Different phenotype than it's faster maturity sister that's already been chopped (way to early).
IMG_20230522_161751734_MFNR.jpg

But it's really a tough plant that's super resistant to the local pathogens and insects.
IMG_20230522_161758879_MFNR.jpg

I gave it a thorough once over and saw no mold or mildew, not even one bug 🐛. But it might go another month.
IMG_20230522_161651310_MFNR.jpg

Thinking about another flower run here but with the much faster Kamora. Still thinking about.

red rider

Latest posts

Latest posts