picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

Kalbhairav

~~ ॐ नमः शिवाय ~~
Veteran
Whenever I see flower pictures like this I associate the images with ‘herb’. Probably because they have similarities with herbs I might dry for food or teas. Nostalgic and also a little sad to think we base so much emphasis on looks these days. I bet a lot of that weed was really happy, transcendental type smoke. Would of loved to try good Mexican offerings from the 80s. In the early 90s I could only get my hands on African and Thai..

Thanks for the pictures Maggotbrain :)

Maggotbrain

All is not lost!

All is not lost!

Your welcome Koondense. Enjoy your erection.

Glad you liked it brickweeder and Kalbhairav.

It's not all gone CosmicGiggle. About a year and a half ago I found an add on Craigslist for old seeds. I couldn't believe it. For twenty years I have dreamed of finding a handful of seeds collected in the 70's. The guy selling them was in the importing/distribution business in the day and had collected the best he came across over a long period of time. He remembered collecting Mexican, Colombian, Jamaican, Thai, Panamanian and even pure Afghan. I bought an ounce of seeds and immediately sprouted a bunch of them as a test. After about two weeks every one looked different from all the others and they were definitely not hemp seeds or modern hybrids. So I checked Craigslist and the add was still up. I bought up all the rest he had and ended up with almost six ounces. Just from the first test grow there was an enormous variety of plant types and they are good. The flavor of one of them is exactly like the old commercial Columbian we used to get in the late 70's. It's pretty clear to me that the old flavors are in the genetics and not the cure. These were cured like any modern buds in glass jars and they look, smell and taste like the old stuff. The buzz of my favorite Colombian girl takes me back to a sunny summer day in highschool. I'm working on a business plan to grow them and get them into dispensories. I was going to buy land in northern California to start my farm but the corona cooties are gonna delay me for a while. Some day soon people will be able to buy these buds again. Here's a couple of pictures of my girls. I know they're not old photos, but they are photos of old varieties.

picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

mexcurandero420

See the world through a puff of smoke
Veteran
Your welcome Koondense. Enjoy your erection.

Glad you liked it brickweeder and Kalbhairav.

It's not all gone CosmicGiggle. About a year and a half ago I found an add on Craigslist for old seeds. I couldn't believe it. For twenty years I have dreamed of finding a handful of seeds collected in the 70's. The guy selling them was in the importing/distribution business in the day and had collected the best he came across over a long period of time. He remembered collecting Mexican, Colombian, Jamaican, Thai, Panamanian and even pure Afghan. I bought an ounce of seeds and immediately sprouted a bunch of them as a test. After about two weeks every one looked different from all the others and they were definitely not hemp seeds or modern hybrids. So I checked Craigslist and the add was still up. I bought up all the rest he had and ended up with almost six ounces. Just from the first test grow there was an enormous variety of plant types and they are good. The flavor of one of them is exactly like the old commercial Columbian we used to get in the late 70's. It's pretty clear to me that the old flavors are in the genetics and not the cure. These were cured like any modern buds in glass jars and they look, smell and taste like the old stuff. The buzz of my favorite Colombian girl takes me back to a sunny summer day in highschool. I'm working on a business plan to grow them and get them into dispensories. I was going to buy land in northern California to start my farm but the corona cooties are gonna delay me for a while. Some day soon people will be able to buy these buds again. Here's a couple of pictures of my girls. I know they're not old photos, but they are photos of old varieties.

View Image View Image View Image

Which one are these on the photos?

Maggotbrain

Which one are these on the photos?

I'm not sure. I can recognize the Colombian taste in some and some others that look like the fat leafed Mexicans I grew as a kid, but they were all mixed up in a bag so I'm just guessing. I have one that is probably Thai, but it's a hermaphrodite that switches to male when I flower it. Others are clearly highland varieties with skinny leaves and long internodes. Some grow in a single stalk with very little branching, others have the Christmas tree shape and others spread out into a big wide short bush. The one I think is a Thai grows faster and stronger than any plant I have ever seen. The big purple one in the pictures and the middle one seem like Colombians but I have never seen one like the last one. It is frosty as hell and smells and tastes like creamy rotten fruit. I had it tested at Steep Hill Labs and they said it was 10.6% THC.

These are the leaves of the first ones I sprouted. Quite a variety. Some of the leaves look similar but none of these plants match any of the others in growth patterns, smells and highs. Number 21 is the creamy rotten fruit one and number 8 is the best "Colombian". Number 28 is the "Thai". Number 7 may be Thai but it's not very potent so maybe not.
picture.php

CosmicGiggle

Veteran
Thanks for rescuing those seeds Maggotbrain, you've performed a service for Mankind!

I love the pics of the leaves all lined up.:tiphat:

Maggotbrain

Thanks for rescuing those seeds Maggotbrain, you've performed a service for Mankind!

I love the pics of the leaves all lined up.:tiphat:

Thanks Giggle. One of my goals is to get these genetics into the breeding world. Today's weed could use a genetic boost and I think these seeds have a lot to offer. But I gotta get a farm up and running first so I can grow a bunch out and figure out what I even have.

H

hard rain

Thanks Giggle. One of my goals is to get these genetics into the breeding world. Today's weed could use a genetic boost and I think these seeds have a lot to offer. But I gotta get a farm up and running first so I can grow a bunch out and figure out what I even have.
I'm hoping those old strains don't meet modern genetics. That's what fucked things in the first place. Personally I'd love to see them preserved as is.

Lovely pics and thanks for posting.

Maggotbrain

I'm hoping those old strains don't meet modern genetics. That's what fucked things in the first place. Personally I'd love to see them preserved as is.

Lovely pics and thanks for posting.

They will always be preserved in their original state. I'll be sorting through them to group the plants in each variety and inbreeding them to preserve the lines. I also want to preserve each individual plant in tissue culture, if I can pull that off. I'll be selling flowers from the pure stuff but I don't want to completely deny these genetics to breeders. The gene pool has become so narrowed and these seeds could infuse a bit more variety.

shiroshi

ICMag Donor
Thanks for all the great picks Maggot! I'm curious about the seed storage also, and what your germination rate and method has been. Might call for a dedicated thread of your search and sorting.