What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Vietnamese Cannabis Seeds

KanCha

Vietnam Ganja is very different from its neighboring countries. The south has the goods, most likely the strongest land-race sativa encountered and also, some of the best flavor I have tasted! Spent a few months there, saw plenty of variations!
This is also one of the bigger influences in Australian outdoor growing from the 60s onwards.

Got a few photos of buds from Vietnam, will try and upload them here later on!

Night4wings20

Vietnam Ganja is very different from its neighboring countries. The south has the goods, most likely the strongest land-race sativa encountered and also, some of the best flavor I have tasted! Spent a few months there, saw plenty of variations!
This is also one of the bigger influences in Australian outdoor growing from the 60s onwards.

Got a few photos of buds from Vietnam, will try and upload them here later on!

That is very interesting since I'm from Australia...do you have any more info on how Vietnamese ganja has influenced my country?

Thank you in advance :tiphat:

M

Mr D

Mustafunk I didn't know DF had a Nam Black back then.

I ran Anon's Vietnamese Black sold on the old cbay auction. Reviews were mixed but some of us found some outstanding keepers. Anon lost the Vietnamese mother in a fire so last ones sold at the auction were the last in existence from anon.

Anon sampled my keeper and told me she was almost exactly like mom. We spent 2 years backcrossing her in hopes of removing any traces of the China Black he used for father. We wanted to keep the line going and as a side project "cube" my keeper.

Unfortunately we lost contact shortly before I folded my tents and went in to semi retirement. I wasn't able to keep any of the seeds I produced.

Recently I have sourced what I have been told is VB. Posted a pic in the Ace forum if you want a peek. Close to 2 years working with Anon and his VB I'm very familiar with his version. So I'll be sure to contact you if I have something worth your attention.

M

Mr D

Vietnamese Black Fan leaf.jpg

brickweeder

...Recently I have sourced what I have been told is VB. Posted a pic in the Ace forum if you want a peek. Close to 2 years working with Anon and his VB I'm very familiar with his version. So I'll be sure to contact you if I have something worth your attention.

I hope those turn out to be the real deal; looking forward to your progress.

M

Mr D

I hope those turn out to be the real deal; looking forward to your progress.

I have high confidence they are the real deal based on the source.

I'm letting all of the males pollenate each of the females to try and preserve as much genetic diversity as I possible can with a small population.

At the same time I'm crossing a select male with some of my keepers Like Genius, Panama and sweet pink grapefruit as well as Ace's new Killer A5 haze.

M

Mr D

A little picture update..

They have out grown the rest of the room and the LED's so I had to break out some supplemental HID lights. The stretch is just starting and one is already 6' tall

VB3.jpg

VB2.jpg

romanoweed

I heard there are 3 important factors still when you alredy hav a good Gemstone of a Sativa growing, wich can make the difference betwen real Tripweed and average Stuff:

1: intensive Lighting , not average Lightning
2: Harvest at the right Time.. (differs in every Lineage) Sometimes quiet early Harvest can increase the High immense.
3: Whether rather short Curing(from day 3 on), or very long Curing (around 6 Months)

But still have to try if thats the Truth. Every Parameter can differ per Lineage, (evet. Pheno). But i think strong Lighting and quiet early Harvest are actually a shure Way to get higher Atleast in my opinion. Not too early but early... (some would probably call it too cause still white)
Peace

M

Mr D

View Image

PS: Breeder's description, would love to know more about the true origins or breeder of this strain though. Was it bred in California by any collective with genetics brought by Vietnam veterans after the war? If anyone has legit or first hand info please do share. ;)

Sorry to dig this up...but since you asked and the thread is full of misinformation on the origins of Vietnamese Black.

The Vietnamese Black that came from the old c bay auction did NOT come from Dutch Flowers. To the best of my knowledge Dutch Flowers never offered any Vietnamese strains.

A grower from Canada called anon was the source of the originals offered on C bay. Not sure how many packs were auctioned but I purchased 1 pack. The cross was introduced with a glowing report from a respected grower or two.

The majority of reports I saw complained about long flowering low yielding phenos with low potency. Also reports of inter sex.

Maybe I was just really lucky and found that 1 in 10,000 but my keeper was the most potent strain I've grown, 3 - 5 hr. duration with no ceiling. I was later contacted by anon after he lost the Vietnamese mother to a fire. We spent 2 years trying to backcross my keeper in hopes of recreating the mother. We didn't have any luck and lost contact eventually.

Now I imagine some of the hype came from myself ( formally raydavies) and the other respected growers who gave this strain 2 thumbs up. Dubi continues to use the original genetics so the strain has stayed in the public spotlight for almost 20 years, helping continue the "legend".

romanoweed

Hey Mr D
Can you also tell if it is the (typical) north-Viet x south-Viet cross wich this anon was getting himselve.. Or is it rather a single Gentic picked up in Vietnam..?

From Reeverman i heard it was a Dallat.. From someone else i heard it was inbreed a couple generations in a Backyard in Northviet.. but coming from somewhere else in Viet. . Would be nice to know , but that may be the growing disinformation.. I also am not too shure if i read this right at the same time still

M

Mr D

romanoweed,

The description attributed Dutch flowers which was posted by Mustafunk is accurate. It's a copy and paste of Anon's description. So the mother was supposedly a pure sativa from Vietnam. She had a long flowering time 16 - 18 weeks. So anon crossed her with a indica dominant strain he called China Black. About 50% of the progeny would finish in 9 - 10 weeks others 11 - 15 weeks. Mine went 16 weeks.

All of this information was available at cannabisworld.com before it recently went off line. Now I see someone is trying to sell it for $120K.

Doc D I never saw Dutchflowers release a "nam black" on C bay. Maybe I missed it, I was a regular from '99 - 2002. The **********.eu description attributed to DF was written by anon for the Vietnamese Black he auctioned off.

Mustafunk

Brand new oldschool
Veteran
The Vietnamese Black that came from the old c bay auction did NOT come from Dutch Flowers. To the best of my knowledge Dutch Flowers never offered any Vietnamese strains.

A grower from Canada called anon was the source of the originals offered on C bay. Not sure how many packs were auctioned but I purchased 1 pack. The cross was introduced with a glowing report from a respected grower or two.

Thanks for the info... I've also got to know that Anon was the original source to the Vietnamese Black from C-Bay/Heaven's Stairway after researching a bit. I grew them in the past too since they have been preserved at the Vibes Collective by a northern member who had great talent with tropical plants.

There are hermies indeed but the lack of selection is worse on this one IMO. I've found firm males in the past too. Anyway what I wanted to know was if Anon bred the plant himself or just sourced the seeds from someone else or imported them originally. The true origin of those plants was what I wanted to know so the true story can be passed along.

I wonder if Dutch Flower's release had anything to do with those actually? Maybe those were just some Anon's seeds being auctioned again?

Best. :tiphat:

M

Mr D

Thanks for the info... I've also got to know that Anon was the original source to the Vietnamese Black from C-Bay/Heaven's Stairway after researching a bit. I grew them in the past too since they have been preserved at the Vibes Collective by a northern member who had great talent with tropical plants.

There are hermies indeed but the lack of selection is worse on this one IMO. I've found firm males in the past too. Anyway what I wanted to know was if Anon bred the plant himself or just sourced the seeds from someone else or imported them originally. The true origin of those plants was what I wanted to know so the true story can be passed along.

I wonder if Dutch Flower's release had anything to do with those actually? Maybe those were just some Anon's seeds being auctioned again?

Best. :tiphat:

To the best of my knowledge anon was given some seeds that were supposedly brought back from Vietnam in 1977. Most did not germinate. Of the few that did germinate he got one stellar female. My guess is that because of the low germination rate he was unable to determine the line had some problems ie. hermies and some low potency progeny.

At the time he released them to the auction you didn't find many online active growers who were willing to grow strains that took 16 weeks to finish. So he decided to try and reduce flowering times by crossing her with a strain called China Black.

A few batches of testers were sent out and the growers managed like I did to find an outstanding keeper. However once they were in the hands of more growers the problems started to come to light.

Personally I dismissed those reports and bought the seeds anyway. Mainly because their were not many growers on cannabisworld who knew how to deal with a long flowering sativa indoors and even less realized a longer cure was necessary.

Bottom line is that anon failed to do proper progeny testing before releasing the seeds. I have no reason to believe that anon was not telling the truth about the origins of the seeds.

Also I don't know of any Dutchflowers release of nam black but that doesn't mean their were none.

Nexus7

And the lambs
And the Cg '72 Gold

Probably most of his line up actually.

Would be nice if he acknowledges the shoulders he stands on ...