What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Vietnamese Black / Meao Thai

jay sus

i ran 4 of these recently. lemony was best, rotten mango too. but lemony was fierce:biggrin:. spicy/funky lemon compared to incencey lemon of panama,i´d say.i really miss this one

musigny23

I managed to get a 10 pack last fall and germinated 5 in March. One didn't go and the other 4 were all males. I couldn't believe it. When I was certain of that, I germinated one more. It's gotta be a female, right?

I gave the males to friend with more room to allow them to flower and hopefully he will collect and save the pollen. If I do get a female I'll try to produce a few seeds.

sweet-emotion

Veteran
Update, still +-15 days to go...I really love this plant. We got min temps of -1°C at night and highs of 14°, but I'm taking care of her. The hazey/lemony aromas are not ultra strong, but have a particular charm I can't wait to try.:tiphat:

Attachments

• DSC08260.jpg
    DSC08260.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 18
  • DSC08262.jpg
    DSC08262.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 9
  • DSC08276.jpg
    DSC08276.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 16
  • DSC08277.jpg
    DSC08277.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 12
  • DSC08282.jpg
    DSC08282.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 14
  • DSC08287.jpg
    DSC08287.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 13
  • DSC08285.jpg
    DSC08285.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 11
  • DSC08284.jpg
    DSC08284.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 10
  • DSC08283.jpg
    DSC08283.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 10

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Excellent sweet emotion :)

It's a pleasure to see this old sativa limited edition still being grown :yes:
I'm glad she is taking well the cold temps in the last part of flowering.

Thank you very much for your updates, best wishes for the harvest!

sweet-emotion

Veteran
Excellent sweet emotion :)

It's a pleasure to see this old sativa limited edition still being grown :yes:
I'm glad she is taking well the cold temps in the last part of flowering.

Thank you very much for your updates, best wishes for the harvest!

Thanks dubi :tiphat: I'm deciding when to harvest her, maybe next sunday. I think she's ready or almost. It's a really great plant, and the best part is I still got 7 reg seeds.

Thanks for giving us the opportunity to grow this strains. I'll update soon.

inquest

I'm looking forward to the smoke report Sweet emotion!

Heck yeah Dubi, there's still more of your VietBlack/Thai's out here! I've got a lady going right now in fact, and I've gotten much better at controlling their explosive growth. :)

Here she is. I've got plenty more seeds to look through too, just incase she's not "the one". :)
picture.php

sweet-emotion

Veteran
That's great inquest!...I chopped her 14 days ago, she's curing now. Intense spicy aromas right now. I bet she'll be incensey/lemony when burnt. Weighed 160gr = 5,64oz and holds the record.

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Yeah sweet emotion! Looking forward to the Vietnam Black/ Thai smoke report! ;)

Welcome back inquest :) Very nice compact vietnamese pheno! Please, keep us updated.

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Is Vietnam black mother of Orient Express or the reverse?(o.ex. mother of Vietnam black?)Thanks

Hi willydread,

Vietnam Black is the mother of Orient Express, as stated in the official description of the strain.

M

Mr D

Hi Mr D,

Not fully sure from here, but your plant really has resemblance with the Vietnam Black genetics i have grown. Btw, lovely sativa traits she has :)

She is not from Ace although I just finished a few Orient Express.

The VB you used to create Orient Express came from anon. I remember you inquiring about it at cannabisworld when it was available at the auction. I purchased 10 from the cbay auction back then and was lucky to find a superior keeper with no intersex traits. I lost her many years ago and I'm back on the hunt.

Over the last year I've grown out close to a dozen of your strains. I have been pleased with them all. I've recently started my second run of Panama, Guawi and Panama Haze.

Here's a shot of Panama lady that just went in to the flower room.
20190106_213057.jpg

I'm very interested if have any plans to create some Panama Haze regular seeds?

Thanks for your time.

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Hi Mr D,

Yes, i also selected our VietNam Black mother from anon stock from old CW auctions.
His VB line was not an easy one to work with .... it had many plants showing hermie tendencies, we ended up finding a very nice sexually firm VB female: high yielding, very vigorous, of moderate flowering time, with a very unique pungent organic/rotten aroma, and lovely clean non anxious effect. We neither found a sexually stable male to reproduce VB in pure form, so we used a China Yunnan male to pollinate this female and Orient Express was created.

Glad to hear you are on your second run of Panama, Guawi and Panama Haze :)
Please, keep us updated. We will hopefully produce a regular Panama Haze version although it won't happen on short term. Best wishes.

Rgd

Veteran
re VB
also got some of the original anon vb's
yeh intersex /hermi
but non male pod makers could be found
managed to find found a male
made lot of beans..and most all are stable
it has the right kind of high for me
but not quite enough of it
i keep going back to it because of that ..
and never did find the loss of bladder control pheno
..not even close..
the ditch weed it was crossed with helped with flowering time and stretch
....but sure not octane rating
but thankfully it also didn't seem to add much sedation

therevverend

Veteran
Going through my seed collection I noticed my Vietnamese Black x Thai pack was getting old. Dated July 25th 2011. I was saving them for indoor or at least indoor/outdoor because they'll be a tough finish in the PNW. I decided to go for it, planted them all.

Haven't counted them but I'm pretty sure 5 out of 6 came up. This is why I like Ace, after 8 years that's not a bad fertility rate. And why I like myself, keeping the seeds stashed in the fridge for those years. Compared to the seed company I shall not mention that sold me 'new' seeds for $100 a pack, half didn't sprout. Maybe it was just bad luck but..

The weather has been damp and cold, I don't remember this strain being super vigorous but the chill hasn't helped. They're doing fine, growing along at their own pace but a couple of the stragglers are looking shrimpy. That's okay I expect a burst of growth when the heat hits in a month or two. What's neat is that I can tell the Viet Black dominate vs the Thai dominate. The Black have dark highlights. Here's a pic:

picture.php

picture.php

I'll have to take a picture of the all-green. I should label them so I can see if the colors really do turn out different. Hopefully they finish early enough, I'm hoping for very little/no Afghan genes mold resistance to help me out in late October. And a keeper male. It'd be nice to cross it with my earlier stuff, knock the flowering time down a bit. And of course a backcross would be nice too.

SolarLogos

Going through my seed collection I noticed my Vietnamese Black x Thai pack was getting old. Dated July 25th 2011. I was saving them for indoor or at least indoor/outdoor because they'll be a tough finish in the PNW. I decided to go for it, planted them all.

Haven't counted them but I'm pretty sure 5 out of 6 came up. This is why I like Ace, after 8 years that's not a bad fertility rate. And why I like myself, keeping the seeds stashed in the fridge for those years. Compared to the seed company I shall not mention that sold me 'new' seeds for $100 a pack, half didn't sprout. Maybe it was just bad luck but..

The weather has been damp and cold, I don't remember this strain being super vigorous but the chill hasn't helped. They're doing fine, growing along at their own pace but a couple of the stragglers are looking shrimpy. That's okay I expect a burst of growth when the heat hits in a month or two. What's neat is that I can tell the Viet Black dominate vs the Thai dominate. The Black have dark highlights. Here's a pic:

View Image

View Image

I'll have to take a picture of the all-green. I should label them so I can see if the colors really do turn out different. Hopefully they finish early enough, I'm hoping for very little/no Afghan genes mold resistance to help me out in late October. And a keeper male. It'd be nice to cross it with my earlier stuff, knock the flowering time down a bit. And of course a backcross would be nice too.
Thanks for posting those therevverend. I've been hoping to see your viet x thai grow. Did you do anything special to the seeds like washing, soaking or cracking the shell?
It's going to be a fun grow to watch.
Peace, God bless

YukonKronic

View Image

View Image

Yes labels! I had some plants show colours like that and was really glad I labeled them cause the colour faded and I knew it was indicative of traits I wanted. Saved me space in selection later.

therevverend

Veteran
Yes labels!

Put a V on the ones that showed black highlights, a T on the green likely Thai dominate. Here's a pic of the best green one.

picture.php

Two decent green, two decent black, and one scrag. Most likely I'll cull the scrag or give it away. No room for slow growers. I could complain about limited selection but at least I've got different phenotypes.

Did you do anything special to the seeds like washing, soaking or cracking the shell?

No just popped them straight in my mix. I was going to at least soak them in peroxide but I had family in town and got distracted. I've found creating good conditions, using a heat mat, is the most important part of getting seeds to sprout. Unless they're ten years old or more then I'd have to try something extra. The only seeds that didn't sprout at all were old ((Sage x Sweet Diesel) x Gold Mendocino)). I'll have to try something extra if I'm going to get them to sprout and I might. That could be a great strain. I used an organic soil mix from the store with a few goodies added. Lightened it quite a bit to make it a seedling mix. It's got wood in it which annoys me. Now it's looking washed out because I've had a typical NW spring, lots of torrential downpours.

It's affected some plants more then others, causing some to look a little weather beaten. I've noticed a slug bite or two. Normally the slugs never range into my seedling area but it's been so wet they can access it. Probably won't do anything about it because it's not much damage and it'll keep warming up and drying out which will get rid of them.

I've got quite a few purple strains this year, Original Looie, Grape Ape x Mendo Early Girl, Tripleberry, Purple Satellite, Grandaddy Purp x Querkle. We'll see who ends up as keepers. Here's a pic of a Purple Satellite.

picture.php

GDP x Querkle

picture.php

The cold has really brought out the colors. A favorite so far is the Grape Ape x Early Girl. She's a keeper, nice vigor.

picture.php

You can see she's a little older then the others. Last of all I'll show the Bangi Haze, only have one this year. Another keeper, she's one of the most vigorous plants in the garden, I'm hoping she's a girl because she could get big.

picture.php

Very round Indica type leaves. Once I get some real sun she'll really take off.

therevverend

Veteran
The black markings have already faded in all but one, the seedlings look the same. I'm glad I labeled them when I did. Now I've got a long wait to see if it really marked the different phenotypes!

Latest posts

Latest posts