What's new

Vick on dogfighting in GQ: ‘People act like it’s some crazy thing they never heard of

Status
Not open for further replies.

Puffaluffagus

Veteran
How the hell would you know what is in his mind. That is the root of the problem in this thread. Some people do change. He is doing more than the court asked him to. So you can have your opinion. But at least know what you speak of.
By his own words!!!!
he thinks its a normal part of his culture, translation, nothing wrong with it in his opinion.

No i don't know as a fact the thoughts in his head, but I would bet the farm in a heart beat that if he hadn't been busted, he'd still be fighting dogs, and that even now, he still thinks it's fine.

You think the jailed growers(since people keep bringing it up) get out of prison and now believe that growing is evil, and that they were wrong for doing it??? No, well it's the same with vick and dogfighting IMO

dagnabit

Game Bred
Veteran
I´ve read and participated in a few threads about dog fighting and how it started back in Portugal in the middle of the 90s and in how it was related with criminality, ghettos and gang life. Without a doubt one lousy import from this kind of "culture" that you are trying to promote.

“It's hard to imagine a more unlikely couple than Michael Vick and England’s Queen Elizabeth I, yet this former U.S. pro football star and this former British ruler may well go down in history as two of the most prominent people ever associated with the sport of dogfighting,” said Russell, who has served on the U.Va. faculty since 1994. “Queen Elizabeth helped popularize dogfighting in 16th century England while Michael Vick has reminded us all that this bloody, inhumane sport is alive, well and as popular as ever in 21st century America.”

http://www.virginia.edu/uvatoday/newsRelease.php?id=2652

dog fighting was a sport for the wealthy only till the early 20th...

dagnabit

Game Bred
Veteran
It sounded to me like you wanted the NFL to punish him more than our court system. I guess your analogy wasnt clear to me. Either way it is still a relevant statement to a lot of the comments on here.
i get it...

the last sentence of my post sums it up nicely i think..

so if your concern is the prevention of further cruelty it's probably counterproductive to tell a guy who made money at dog fighting and football he cant play football.

C

COOKIE MONSTER

Would you push him in front of that train? Do you think your god would want somebody like you? Somebody that doesnt respect human life? I have to wonder who you god is that wants you to judge mike here on earth. I thought that was your gods job. You use a god to make your point. At the same time you condemn yourself by the things you say.

Yes and with no hesitation..nobody is above the consequences of their actions and if I condemn myself then so be it.
The higher power I believe in will weigh up the pro's and cons of all of my actions before deciding my fate.

You are incorrect about me not respecting human life....I respect those who deserve to be respected, vick does not deserve any respect in that regard.

ItGrows

I dont approve of anything mike did. But I do forgive him for his mistakes. I think he deserves a second chance.
So is this promoting dog fighting? Sir you are prving yourself ignorant.
Realities are different from one place to the other i give you that ITGrows, but in my book you are still condoning dog fights, which i find dreadful. I also don´t think he has done enough to pay for his mistakes and for sure i don´t think he should be allowed to be back as a sportsman.
I´ve read and participated in a few threads about dog fighting and how it started back in Portugal in the middle of the 90s and in how it was related with criminality, ghettos and gang life. Without a doubt one lousy import from this kind of "culture" that you are trying to promote. But this said even if it was my first time would that matter?In what sense?
I´ve told you that dog fighting was a issue to me since my teenager years so don´t come and "naive me" little broda. I´ve never ever even heard about mike vic until today i was just interested in the subject itself.
You have already played the race card, the class card, the education card...what is next?

Yes you are a better man than mike vick. Does that make you feel better? Just because you were able to see right from wrong at such a early age doesnt mean everybody can. But now that he understands, you want to still want him to suffer? We'll thats your opinion. I am a forgiving man.

do the dogs he killed and maimed get second chance?

He threw them away like garbage.

I ever see Vick he get a taste of pain

Have at him internet tough guy. He will be in Philadelphia for the next few months. Then after you hurt him or kill him, maybe you will want to ask for a second chance in society?

paulo73

Convicted for turning dreams into reality
Veteran
ITGrows where do you read that i want him to suffer?!
More suffering makes nothing for me but i hate hypocrisy and false repent that is just good PR work...so this was the emotional card.Thanks by i really don´t like suffering human and animal alike.
You are wrong again when you say that i am a better man than him. I probably don´t like money as much as he does and have a bit more respect for LIFE, any kind of LIFE.
But this not makes me a better man being humble and honest about myself it might do.

ElPiloto

A man in Tucson recently had one arm amputated and there is a very good chance he will lose the other arm.

What happened? He had two pit bull dogs he was "training" to participate in dog fights. The dogs started fighting each other and he tried to break up the fight. Then the dogs turned on him and started chewing him up. They almost killed him.

That's what I call instant karma.

Sgt.Stedenko

Crotchety Cabaholic
Veteran
The five highest-paid NFL players for 2011:

1. Peyton Manning, Indianapolis, quarterback, $23 million

2. Sam Bradford, St. Louis, quarterback, $18.4 million

3. Tom Brady, New England, quarterback, $18 million

4. Michael Vick, Philadelphia, quarterback, $15.9 million

5. Richard Seymour, Oakland, defensive lineman, $15 million

stc9357

The double standards in this thread amaze me Micheal Vick spent time in prison and was suspended by the nfl. Ben roethlisberger rapes two women gets a little nfl suspension and nobody wants to bury him, but yes, let's fuck the black man over because he hurt animals.

stc9357

Why does the grow thing get tossed in here so often? Where you do equate the two, stc9357?

All criminals are not the same. Murder, rape, theft, torture and a few other things are not to be tolerated.

Since you equate the two, I have to wonder if you have a mind to think for yourself, or if you really do think that "if it's a crime, it must be wrong" - without being bright enough that you could see for yourself how completely ass-backwards society is ruled.\

edit: seems coffee was strong this morning, feeling like I'm way too active with my opinion here and am gonna step out, hope I didn't step on anyones toes...

I just got out of prison in March was in their for a full year and you want to come at me with this bullshit. The fact of the matter in my opinion is this he did his time and should have a second chance simple as that.

stc9357

At the end of 2006 the Bureau of Justice released a group of data that stated that there were 3,042 black male prisoners per 100,000 black males in the United States, compared to 1,261 Hispanic male prisoners per 100,000 Hispanic males and 487 white male prisoners per 100,000 white males.[1].
[edit] Likelihood of going to prison

The likelihood of black males going to prison in their lifetime is 16% compared to 2% of white males and 9% of Hispanic males.[2] Other social factors can be linked to the racial inequality in the criminal justice system such as Socioeconomic status, the environment in which a person was raised, and the highest educational level a person achieves. It has been argued by some that the race a person is born into has a substantial effect on the amount of discrimination they experience in their lifetime. In a sociological experiment conducted by Steven Raphael, a black male with no criminal record applying for a certain job had a 14% chance of getting a callback for an interview while a white male applying for the same job had a 34% chance of getting a callback for an interview. If both the black male and white male had criminal records the callback percentage was 5% and 17% respectively.[2] This shows that there are significant negative effects on blacks even after their prison sentence has been served.[clarification needed] With less opportunity than whites to enter back into the workforce after incarceration, blacks end up having a higher rate of return to prison.
[edit] Likelihood of being accused or convicted

Various studies have shown that, in recent decades, there has been no noticeable disparity in black vs white crime statistics in black-run vs white-controlled cities, say Atlanta vs San Diego. In the largest counties, the rates of conviction for accused blacks was slightly less than the conviction rates for whites, for example.[3]
[edit] Racial inequality in the death penalty

There is also a large disparity between races when it comes to sentencing convicts to Death Row. Looking just at the federal death penalty data released by the Department of Justice between 1995–2000, 682 defendants were charged with death-eligible crimes.[4] Out of those 682 defendants, the defendant was black 48% of the cases, Hispanic in 29% of the cases, and white in only 20% of the cases.[3]
[edit] Racial inequality in bail setting

Studies have documented racial disparities in the amount of money required for bail [5]. For example, a study of Wake County, North Carolina found that African Americans had bail set 18% higher than whites charged with similar crimes.[6]

Disclaimer from wiki

Both Vick and Burress imo got longer sentences than they deserved for the crimes they were convicted of.

huligun

Professor Organic Psychology
Veteran
whaaa I am black. I should be entitled to commit horrendous crimes. I should be protected because of the crimes against my great great grand parents.

edit
I am not white

G

greenmatter

how can anyone not be biased about this guy ..... if you own or have owned dogs this guy is an asshole at least. some people see their dogs as their kids so vick is on the same line with a child molester ....... hard to not get a little bent about that kind of shit, especially if he is getting out and going into a multi million dollar a year job in a very high profile game.

money and media will keep this one going for at least the rest of the season

stc9357

Fuck this race card bullshit.

Nope, its a legit fact since you say that you must be white. I know first hand since me and my co defendant weren't the same color he's on probation still going to school, me on the other hand I'm a convicted felon. We both spent about the same in legal fees so it wasn't the skill of my lawyer, welcome to the big bad south slangheat.

I would be the first to say that since I really don't see color but its true.

someotherguy

Veteran
I guess you only see life in negatives. That is a horrible way to live. I wont try to convince you he is a good guy. Just that he deserves a second chance. So according to your logic of business ethics, mike should never be allowed to work again. Or is it he should never be allowed to earn millions of dollars?
lol, you're consistent, i'll give you that, the thing is you consistently mis-interpret what others say so you can make your excuses.

I NEVER said he didn't deserve a second chance to live in civilized society, nor did I say he shouldn't be allowed to earn a living, what I DID say is that he shouldn't be allowed to work in any capacity where he might influence young people.

Go back and re-read my posts dude, ...and stop putting words in mine and others mouths, it only makes you look the fool.

...or you could just STFU

ROTFLMAO, right back atcha sonny!

You are incorrect about me not respecting human life....I respect those who deserve to be respected, vick does not deserve any respect in that regard.
I couldn't agree more!

A man in Tucson recently had one arm amputated and there is a very good chance he will lose the other arm.

What happened? He had two pit bull dogs he was "training" to participate in dog fights. The dogs started fighting each other and he tried to break up the fight. Then the dogs turned on him and started chewing him up. They almost killed him.

That's what I call instant karma.
Right on man, if THIS had happened to vick he would have gotten what he actually deserved!

The double standards in this thread amaze me Micheal Vick spent time in prison and was suspended by the nfl. Ben roethlisberger rapes two women gets a little nfl suspension and nobody wants to bury him, but yes, let's fuck the black man over because he hurt animals.
He should have been banned from the game as well and for the same reasons, IF he was actually convicted that is.

SOG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Latest posts