What's new

vertical uc winter 2010

T

Tonka

damn those are some big bushes. Are you going to put a screen over them?

Nope, no screen over them. I'm just using ceiling chicken wire from the Krusty days to train. When they start getting too close to the bulbs, I will tie them up using the chicken wire and some string. However, I have been debating the possibility of either putting a screen behind the plants so I can easily tie them back or installing a leaning PVC screen in front of the plants.

If I use something like what Marlo uses shown here: https://www.icmag.com/ic/showpost.php?p=3696683&postcount=166 it could be more difficult to navigate the room but it may be easier to train. Possibly on the next run I'll install one to test it's effectiveness in my situation. However, I'm still unsure as to how I would effectively secure it to the bucket and whether or not it would be worth my time.

Installing something to tie the plants back, away from the light, would be easier to install and would not hinder my movement in the room but its effectiveness may be negligible since I have the ceiling to tie up everything.

Mr.Jones

Mr.Jones contacting Tonka Space Station ... "everythings alright up there?"

haha very very well done! :)

why dont you hang your bulbs so high? looks like you are loosing a massive amount of light ... (just asking)

Marlo

Seedsweeper
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I was thinking the light was hi too... maybe just for the pics.

Hey Tonka.... I've been thinking about using that same screen from my vscrogs, and just put it directly on the walls in the room. Right over the mylar like a netting. Then I could use string to tie branches back away from the lights,pull em any direction I want and tie to the net/screen. Probly the same thing your talking about doin with the ceiling.

But then the plants wouldn't be mobile anymore. That might work for you tho. Just an idea.

Shit is looking good up in here bro. The ladies look real happy!

MARLO

stussy22

ya what you guys are saying about the vscrog looks good. I just build one for my horizontal light using 1" sch 40 PVC strong and bricks. Check my thread out.

T

Tonka

Everything is alright up here Mr.Jones but I'm taking my protein pills and putting on my helmet just in case it gets bumpy. You never know what could happen.

The lights are high in the picture. I run them up high like that in week 1 and 2 of bloom. Why? Because I like to promote stretching in the initial weeks of flower. I'll line up the bottom of the bulb with the tops of the plants until sometime in week 3. They are particularly high in the picture because I always move them as high as I possibly can when I'm in the room moving around.

Marlo said:
I've been thinking about using that same screen from my vscrogs, and just put it directly on the walls in the room. Right over the mylar like a netting.
I think I'm going to try this on my next run. Hopefully it will be an easy installation but I doubt it will be because working around mylar is a pain in the a$$ IMO. The plant are already immobile in my room so it's not a huge issue.

stussy22 said:
I just build one for my horizontal light using 1" sch 40 PVC strong and bricks.
Can't wait to see your grow in action. the bubba and og should fill up that scrog real nice.

until next time :joint:

Lex Dysic

Very nice clean setup.....the only thing I would suggest is perhaps using tomato cages next time to help support in addition to the chicken wire on the ceiling.

Take care.
Lex

D

DHF

Not sure how I missed thisun......

Not sure how I missed thisun......

Yessir....some serious attention ta detail up in here Tonka........Finally......somebody usin da `ol tried and true "chickenwire " on da ceilins......LOL....

Shit saved my life more times than I can remember with my old ass....

Gotta love the reflectix on all the workin parts , but I gotta know why it ain`t on the walls and ceilins as well my buddy......Fuckabuncha mylar.....Can`t wipe the wrinkly shit down without causin more crinkles , and it`s a magnet for EVERYTHING stickin to it for uncleanliness.....

I see yas put it over pandafilm as well......Can we say OCD ?.......Sounds like we`re related.....always settled for nuthin less than "laboratory conditions" with my setups and you lookin good over there Bro.......

Perfect job of raisin the lights till stretch is over.........Gets all out of the bitches as possible when they`re more bushy indica dominant varieties , and then droppin em down for sideways blastin and swellage...........

I`m down with your grow Bro........Here`s hopin fer mega nugs come harvey...........I`m lookin fer yas gettin 4 lbs next run with reflectix replacin the bullshit mylar......

I can easily see 8 oz plants kept away from the bulbs after trimmed/shaped/cleaned out underneath and inside for lumen penetration/absorption in mid-late bloomage.......

Killer job Tonk......DHF.......:ying:.....

T

Tonka

DHF: Thanks bro! I appreciate you stoppin by and reassuring me that I'm not totally crazy. Been using the chicken wire ever since I saw Krusty and others posting about it many years ago. Makes me think.... I've only been back on the boards for a few months, after about a four year hiatus, and I don't know if it's just me or what but it feels like allot of what was on og is being painfully recreated here. Like chicken wire... it seems to be one of the most underutilized tricks for vertical growers these days. Not sure why more aren't doing it.

There is no reflectix on the walls/ceiling because I JUST found out about this material like 3 weeks ago, right before I was going to move my girls in there. Didn't have enough time to make a change. Plus, I didn't know if the reflectix material was good at reflecting light since it is made out of aluminum and is kind of like foil. So, my question: is reflectix a good reflective material? I would assume it is by its name however, I have no experience with it. I've also been looking at the diamond diffusion material but if reflectix is comparable, I'll just use that. It's so easy to obtain, cut, and install.

And yes, just a little OCD :watchplant: and always looking to improve. I'm striving for lean six sigma status up in here!! :whee:

redspaghetti: thanks for stoppin by. cheers

Lex: I'm not sure about the cages... been thinking about some improvements though. I might just line the entire room with chicken wire and see what happens :D

:joint:

D

DHF

"Reflectix" is expensive as I`m sure you found out , but what you don`t know is that all the little encapsulated bubbles and the configuration they`ve been molded into is the best light diffusion/dispersal /lumens bouncin off of at crazy angles of any material I`ve ever used , and I`ve tried em all in the last 15+ yrs before shutdown Bro..........

Chickenwire is your friend......So much has been lost since all the old sites died and went away......

Holler if I can help Bro , but it looks like you know yer shit.......I`ll be settin on my bucket over here waitin fer updates........

Peace.......DHF.........:ying:..........

T

Tonka

Day 22

Day 22

Here are some updated pics. Started tying up the girls today. Lowered the lights. Plucked a few leaves in the front of the plants to let some light in. Cut some growth in the back. Cutting the potential popcorn growth is always a confusing to me. Any advice on what to look for to cut away? Pruning is not my strong point.

Sorry about the picture quality.

T

Tonka

Day 36

Day 36

Just got back from a nice holiday in Napa.... Happy New Year Everyone!

Picture updates for Day 36.

T

Tonka

GoozMan: Thanks man... I'll keep posting pics. How's your Balcony garden shed going?

stussy22: They are starting to get fat! I hope they get 2 liter bottle fat by the end. To help the process I just added a 400 back by the portable AC because the AC restricts some light from the 1ks and last time I think it reduced my harvest. Hopefully it works out... pics coming soon.

I see in your sig you got LVPK going... very nice. I'm going to check out your thread now.

:skiiing:

T

Tonka

Day 43 Update

Day 43 Update

Everything seems to be coming along nicely except for the cold temps this winter. Added two small additions to the room, a space heater to keep night time temps above 50 and a 400 w hps.

Off-topic: can someone tell me how to attach picture so you can get the slide show?

Bud Pics
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

More Pics in Thumbnail format

T

Tonka

Another Warning for New Vertical Growers

Another Warning for New Vertical Growers

To all new or newer vertical growers:

In addition to protecting your eyes with welding goggles, please, please, please make sure the wires hanging from the ceiling are secure. A few days ago, I almost had a disaster. When I peaked in, wearing my goggles of course, I could smell something burning and upon closer inspection one of the wires from my socket fell down and was resting right on the side of the 1k bulb. :bashhead:

The bulb melted the outer protection of the wire and was almost melted down to the wires inside. LUCKILY I caught it before anything major happened.

GoozMan

Wow!!! The universe is on your side today my friend. Time to buy a lottery ticket. I'm glad everything is ok.

stussy22

Pictures look great! They are frosting up now nicely.

Ya the other kush cuts weren't coming though. So another friend stepped in and helped me out. :D