What's new

vertical uc winter 2010

T

Tonka

Welcome all. Hope you enjoy, start to finish, 2k bare vertical, 2 strain, 6 site, 13 gallon undercurrnet, no flushing, maximizing limited space, chicken wire on the ceiling, portable AC, 9 week pictorial grow show.

Harvest in progress, harvest pics start here: https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?p=4210814#post4210814

In Veg: Growing in DIY undercurrent under T-8 bulbs.

Recently Cleaned Buckets

Recently Reflectix-ized Buckets

Day 0 Bloom

Day 8 Bloom

teemu shalanie

WeeDGamE StannisBaratheoN
Veteran
Looking like some monsters , did I read right you build this uc yourself? If so what it cost ya?
I will prob attempt to build one in the new year, good luck on ya grow
peace TS

T

Tonka

stussy22: What's up homie?! I see on your thread you got the UC buckets in. Good luck over there.

LIFEISGOOD, Neo 420: sit back and relax... should be an interesting show.

Marlo: Thanks for poppin in. Been checkin out your vert scrogs for a while, very impressive.

T

Tonka

Looking like some monsters , did I read right you build this uc yourself? If so what it cost ya?
I will prob attempt to build one in the new year, good luck on ya grow
peace TS

Only my veg system is DIY. The blue bucket system in the pics above is not DIY, it's commercial. I'm guessing it cost me close to $700 to build my own uc system. That includes air pump, water pump, buckets, and all the little parts and adapters. Even though the buckets are smaller (5 gallon), all of the pumps are are exactly the same as my larger 13 gallon bucket system so if for some reason I get a bigger space in the future, I can upgrade quite easily.

Here is a pic of my veg system's 5 gallon square buckets. They are built in linear formation to fit the width of the room and the lights.

Here are a few pics of the main rez and the plants in Day 3 of veg. The girls look pitiful but turned around quickly as you can see in the first pic in the op.

stussy22

Set up looks nice. Good craftsmanship. On thing I would recommend is where the feed line from the pump into the control bucket. If you can take that PVC 45 off and throw on a Tee. You get a little more splash from my understanding and I guess mixes the water a little better. Just what I have seen by the guys at current culture. Other than that set up look sweet.

T

Tonka

Hi, would you mind explaining your undercurrent setup? How does it work?

Sure GoozMan, however, I can't take any credit for the design, it's almost an exact copy of the commercial version.

The picture below shows my DIY sub current system. The red arrows on the picture show the direction of the flow. The 750 gph pump creates a current that pulls the water out of the bottom of the main reservoir, through 3" PVC connecting all of the buckets, through the pump then back into the top of the main rez. To oxygenate the solution, a 9,150 cu.in/minute air pump runs a 12" air diffuser disk in the main rez and 6" air stones in each one of the buckets. What can't be seen in the picture is a 550 gph pump pulling solution out of the main rez through a 1/4hp chiller.

picture.php

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any more questions. :joint:

T

Tonka

Set up looks nice. Good craftsmanship. On thing I would recommend is where the feed line from the pump into the control bucket. If you can take that PVC 45 off and throw on a Tee. You get a little more splash from my understanding and I guess mixes the water a little better. Just what I have seen by the guys at current culture. Other than that set up look sweet.

Haha, good catch with the Tee. When replacing the 45 I noticed that my water pressure was a little low. After checking everything, it turned out to be 3 little hydroton pebbles stuck in the pump's intake. Something to watch out for when running this system. :bongsmi:

stussy22

Set up and lay out is nice and a lot cheaper than buying from UC.

I like that Tee that showed up in the control bucket :D

I will keep and eye out for that hydroton going back to the pump.

My only question is what is the name and where did you find the black fitting that fills the hole where the 3" PVC connects to the other buckets.

Tempted to make my next UC8XL for my 5x10 tent. already have plans in my head.

T

Tonka

Set up and lay out is nice and a lot cheaper than buying from UC.

I like that Tee that showed up in the control bucket :D

I will keep and eye out for that hydroton going back to the pump.

My only question is what is the name and where did you find the black fitting that fills the hole where the 3" PVC connects to the other buckets.

Tempted to make my next UC8XL for my 5x10 tent. already have plans in my head.

Those black fittings are called Uniseals. There are a few good places online to buy them and not hard to find. A hole saw is needed to cut the bucket openings for the seal.