What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Vertical Scrog

Earlmarne

Thanks IC.
I have 12×12×9 room with 10 inch vortex exhaust. Got 5 honeywell fans on the way and a few oscillating fans. In theory I should be able to control 4000 with 2 wheels I hope.
Figure if I build my screen base big enough for my 5 gallon hempys it'll bump me back a bit. I'll send em up away from the wall a foot or so so I can open up some if needed.
Appreciate the heck out of documenting your set up so well. This site and guys like you help me a ton

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
Thanks IC.
I have 12×12×9 room with 10 inch vortex exhaust. Got 5 honeywell fans on the way and a few oscillating fans. In theory I should be able to control 4000 with 2 wheels I hope.
Figure if I build my screen base big enough for my 5 gallon hempys it'll bump me back a bit. I'll send em up away from the wall a foot or so so I can open up some if needed.
Appreciate the heck out of documenting your set up so well. This site and guys like you help me a ton

If you are using hempy buckets you should attach the lid to the screen base to set the bucket into. This will keep the bucket in place so you can move the screen later to prune or clean.

Your room is plenty big enough for two weed wheels or doughnuts. But the fan I am worried about. You need to get the air out at least 2 times per minute but 3 is better. I am running 3 exchanges per minute currently in my 5x7 rooms. With 2k of lights it can still get warm in there.

So 12x12x9 is 1296 cubic feet. Twice that is 2592. And 3 times is 3888. You may get by with 2592 but I would go more if you can. This also depends on your cooling air. Mine runs about 74 and the rooms run 78 to 80 at 3 exchanges.

Glad you like the thread. It is my way of giving back to the site that helped me so much.

Earlmarne

O crap. Yeah, I'll look into pulling a lot more air through. It's down in the single digits at night here up to the teens for the next few months but that'll change soon enough I'm going to have my passive intake right from outside on the far end of my room

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
O crap. Yeah, I'll look into pulling a lot more air through. It's down in the single digits at night here up to the teens for the next few months but that'll change soon enough I'm going to have my passive intake right from outside on the far end of my room

Build a small room and use that as a lung room. Draw cold air into this room and mix it with the warm air from your flower rooms. Then draw this mixed air back into your flower room. It will cool your flower room and add CO2 at the same time.

HTG has a temp controlled out let that you can set the high temp you want your cooling fan to turn on. Use this to control the cold air coming in when the room gets warm.

By using a lung room you can use that cold outside air to cool your flower room with out shocking your plants. You also get free CO2.

If you can divide your flower room up into 2 flower rooms on flip so one is lights on and the other is lights off. Use the rest of the area as your lung room. This will give you a more even day and night temp difference. This will help your plants keep in balance better and grow faster.

When your lights are on your air will be dry because the light drys it out, When your lights are off the plants give off a lot of water and will spike your RH. By having one on and one off you balance that out and you may not need a dehumidifier.

Earlmarne

Build a small room and use that as a lung room. Draw cold air into this room and mix it with the warm air from your flower rooms. Then draw this mixed air back into your flower room. It will cool your flower room and add CO2 at the same time.

HTG has a temp controlled out let that you can set the high temp you want your cooling fan to turn on. Use this to control the cold air coming in when the room gets warm.

By using a lung room you can use that cold outside air to cool your flower room with out shocking your plants. You also get free CO2.

If you can divide your flower room up into 2 flower rooms on flip so one is lights on and the other is lights off. Use the rest of the area as your lung room. This will give you a more even day and night temp difference. This will help your plants keep in balance better and grow faster.

When your lights are on your air will be dry because the light drys it out, When your lights are off the plants give off a lot of water and will spike your RH. By having one on and one off you balance that out and you may not need a dehumidifier.

This is great stuff.
I've been tossing around ideas how to split things up so as to have enough power for ac in the summer. This here should free up a few amps. Then I would just cool my lung room in the summer I assume?
My girls are already getting thirsty as all hell. I switched from 50/50 coco/perlite to straight coco to keep em hydrated til i get off work, but fear they will soon be wanting more.I've read up a ton on building a manifold and running line to pulse feed or drip. But then there's these blumats, I am in my room every night after work because I love spending time with the girls, but believe more feedings through the the day would be mutually beneficial.
You think I would be cheating them with blumats? Seems the simpler of my 2 options.
Looks like I'm hitting the lumber store some more this week.
Thanks for all of your insight again. I'll fire up a thread so I'm not cluttering up this gem with noob questions

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
This is great stuff.
I've been tossing around ideas how to split things up so as to have enough power for ac in the summer. This here should free up a few amps. Then I would just cool my lung room in the summer I assume?
My girls are already getting thirsty as all hell. I switched from 50/50 coco/perlite to straight coco to keep em hydrated til i get off work, but fear they will soon be wanting more.I've read up a ton on building a manifold and running line to pulse feed or drip. But then there's these blumats, I am in my room every night after work because I love spending time with the girls, but believe more feedings through the the day would be mutually beneficial.
You think I would be cheating them with blumats? Seems the simpler of my 2 options.
Looks like I'm hitting the lumber store some more this week.
Thanks for all of your insight again. I'll fire up a thread so I'm not cluttering up this gem with noob questions
I only tried the Blumats once and that was in this thread. So you are better off asking someone else on that and the same with auto watering. No real experience with either.

Yes the AC would be in the lung room.

This thread is just what you plan to do a thread started when I was new so maybe it will be as good as this turned out. Good luck I look forward to reading your thread.

SuperWeed

I only tried the Blumats once and that was in this thread. So you are better off asking someone else on that and the same with auto watering. No real experience with either.

Yes the AC would be in the lung room.

This thread is just what you plan to do a thread started when I was new so maybe it will be as good as this turned out. Good luck I look forward to reading your thread.

I ran with blumats in dtw coco for about a year. 128 plants, I think, at that stage... I bought into blumats early. I really liked the idea, and when they worked, they were perfect, you could have it drip just enough for a puddle to form under the pot. But I had to fiddle with them far too often. They close, they clog (omg if you get slime, it's over), they open, then sometimes they work.

I ended up doing better with a pulse feed. Research into field crops shows that pulse feeds grow bigger plants as well.

Earlmarne

I ran with blumats in dtw coco for about a year. 128 plants, I think, at that stage... I bought into blumats early. I really liked the idea, and when they worked, they were perfect, you could have it drip just enough for a puddle to form under the pot. But I had to fiddle with them far too often. They close, they clog (omg if you get slime, it's over), they open, then sometimes they work.

I ended up doing better with a pulse feed. Research into field crops shows that pulse feeds grow bigger plants as well.
Thanks for the insight. Seems i could easily set this up fairly easy with a pump and manifold

SuperWeed

Thanks for the insight. Seems i could easily set this up fairly easy with a pump and manifold

I like the idea of hydro halos the best. I was using a 6 stream variable drip emitter for a while. I liked to turn the flow down on younger plants, but at the end of the day, it was a p.i.t.a. because the rest would flow too fast.

It actually doesn't slow the plant down to root it right in 7 gal at the same flow rate as a plant 9 weeks in flower. I tested and proved this air layering branches into another pot.

At one point the plant in the green bucket was all the other plants in that table. Started as air layers. I did notice a slight difference in speed to root, but after she gets going, the plants grow faster, because they have multiple root zones. It is a technique used in grafting two root stock together. SO they make up in faster growth. Still it was a hassle.

It works the same way DWC works. You have plenty of fresh solution and oxygen, so the roots just grow, even though the coco is soaked. You lose a little more fertigation water. So I have to save money on ferts by using the very best fert. IMHO Jacks. :tiphat:

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
I've searched the thread and can't seem to find numbers. Do you happen to know the od of the ring of screen frames ?

The room is 6x7. But the circle was about 5.25 foot from side to side I believe. That is on the flat side of the screen. Where they meet at the corner I am not sure but it was a little more from point to point.

watts

ohms
Veteran
Ichabod, is this system for 6 plants or 5 plants. Seems like i read you went from 6 to 5. Any particular reason?

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
Ichabod, is this system for 6 plants or 5 plants. Seems like i read you went from 6 to 5. Any particular reason?

You can use either. I prefer to use 5 because it is easier to keep them from growing into each other at the screen edges. Plus it leaves one plant flat against the back wall and two at a angle in front of the door. These two are easy to swing out of the way when getting into the center.

My rooms are only 5 feet wide but if I had a little more width six plants might be ok to do.

F you foreman. I have feet as well, so 2 hands 2 feet and my head are 5 or 6.

Grizz

Veteran
You can use either. I prefer to use 5 because it is easier to keep them from growing into each other at the screen edges. Plus it leaves one plant flat against the back wall and two at a angle in front of the door. These two are easy to swing out of the way when getting into the center.

My rooms are only 5 feet wide but if I had a little more width six plants might be ok to do.

F you foreman. I have feet as well, so 2 hands 2 feet and my head are 5 or 6.
don't forget your dick head, dick head= 7 :biggrin:

Latest posts

Latest posts