What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Vertical first attempt

Aerohead

space gardener
Veteran
Thanks MC,

Someday, I will have a room I can walk around in, and I'm certain I would have trouble leaving. I can fit in my current room if I go back to the wall and pretend I am scaling a ledge trying not to fall off a skyscraper..

DiscoBiscuit

weed fiend
Veteran
Sorry red, I was imagining you (or anybody) getting lost in your vertical jungle.:D

Hi, Aero. Your setup and pics are rockin, dude.

DiscoBiscuit

weed fiend
Veteran
I know vertical relies on point-source lighting more than reflected horizontal. What would an adjustable parabolic reflector add to the equation? A typical horizontal reflector increases lux so the same logic applies to vertical. It's just a matter of whether any captured/reflected light is beneficial. Not only could one adjust the height of the reflector, a few tweaks would allow adjustment of the distance between reflector and bulb.

In a small space, a parabolic reflector would have to be modified to vent trapped heat. It would be easy to cut out the top, mount a flange > ducting > scrubber > exhaust. The only down side would be the potential need for two exhaust fans and two scrubbers

A more efficient idea (one exhaust fan/scrubber) would be to mount an axial fan in the top of the reflector with no ducting. The axial fan would transfer heat directly to the top of the tent as opposed to the closed reflector relying on convection/circulation to exhaust.

Any thoughts? One of the members here made some homemade vert reflectors out of reflective insulation board. I'd be worried about fire in a setup like that but the grower seems to think the reflectors help.

Aerohead

space gardener
Veteran
I have thought about this quite a bit, spent lots of time moving a white board around the lights getting an idea of the light pattern from the bulb. I found very little light comes from the socket side of the bulb and the light that it does emit in that area would need a very large reflector to redirect it because it exits the bulb at a very wide angle. I think the heat increase directly to the canopy would override any reflected light gain. I believe the grower that thought the reflector was lighting his canopy significantly was catching reflected light with that foamboard, he designed a reflector reflector lol.

The glass end of the bulbs do emit more light that I originally thought, when I remodeled my room and swapped the clear plastic on the floor for white, I noticed quite a big difference. I think white floors are a must for vert if it can be done. I also believe if bulbs are stacked in a vert grow, the bottom bulb should be base down to get the best results.

DB, I still think your reflector idea is worth a try in a more scientific setting than my whiteboard experiment. Maybe someone will try this one day and find out it kicks ass...

StealthDragon

Recovering UO addict.
Veteran
damn dude they're blowing up.

I've always wanted to do a ceiling fan above with a bunch of wavy-shaped reflectix on it...like a big spinning reflector from above...dispersing light and heat....one of my stoner ideas :)

DiscoBiscuit

weed fiend
Veteran
That's a good point about the bulb ends emitting far less light than the sides, especially the socket end. My less than educated assumption relies on the brightly lit areas above the grow. Some of this light is reflected off the walls and is lost above the canopy. My reflector idea assumes the height of wall reflection is lowered in proportion to the canopy. Light loss is minimized and reflected light is more effective.

Obviously the devil is in the details. Parabolic reflectors ain't cheap and a degree of light loss might net cheaper than R2D2.

Large, perimeter-sized setups might be perfect with the ceiling as a reflector . But smaller setups with proportionally high ceilings that don't benefit as much from wall reflection might benefit with adjustable bulbs/reflector(s). Especially if you've got a big fan and (black) scrubber hanging up top.

It might be testable with a light meter. Combinations of reflector height and bulb proximity might net different lux measurements, possibly lumens.

Last edited:

Aerohead

space gardener
Veteran
those parabolic hoods aren't that spendy and they'd help bounce the light down.

:joint:

Ok, I'm convinced, getting some reflective foam board and bungee cords immediately....

Seriously, I could see a reflector helping if it was properly vented but I think the gain is very small to add that kind of complexity to the room. Most vert growers are using the method out of efficeincy and also think about how much wattage is used in vent fans, ect...

When the ladies wake up tonight, I will play around with the whiteboard again to be sure...

DiscoBiscuit

weed fiend
Veteran
My pops used to say, "That's too much sugar for a nickle." Lol, you have to think like a vendor to agree with my dad but I get your point, Aero. Everything has it's point of diminishing returns.

Be careful, reflective foam is flammable.

mrktwiz

RE> Ok, I'm convinced, getting some reflective foam board and bungee cords immediately....

BWAHAHAHAHA good idea....

Aerohead

space gardener
Veteran
There's a link in the DIY thread that advises some sort of reflective foam-like board, to reflect a cooltube setup. I was actually just about to attempt something similar myself, after wanting to go horizontal from vert, and threw away it's reflector.:nono:

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=110228 Here's the thread:tiphat:

Cool RicoT, I would honestly buy a reflector, there is alot of technology in reflectors and it would be better to buy one. If you are really handy with DIY, then build your own and save $50 but please use metal not foamboard....

mrktwiz

Cool RicoT, I would honestly buy a reflector, there is alot of technology in reflectors and it would be better to buy one. If you are really handy with DIY, then build your own and save $50 but please use metal not foamboard....

:laughing:What...you DON'T like off gassing chemicals and the chance to burn down your whole house?

Aerohead

space gardener
Veteran
But....but, the off gassing keeps me high while I am waiting for harvest, and so what if I burn the house down, I saved $50 and have insurance!!

Edit: my landloard is a prick anyway and I can lie about having a rare persian rug to offset the deductible

mrktwiz

dam.....I miss that thread....Gingerale where are you and your mad scientist idea's and contraptions?....hey he WAS interesting....

N

nukkumatti

:)
Nice bro!!!
I really like to try that rwdc !! :D so many sexy grows here!! But I need to wait to get in new location before that..

I think with the reflector it is useful if your plants haven't stretch enough but with proper training/growing around the bulb you don't need one.. :)

Jejejee

Aerohead

space gardener
Veteran
Nukkumatti, pleasure to see you post here, just to be clear, this is DWC not RDWC, I don't have a chiller, I am runnin ghetto hydro here. I have no budget for a chiller and even if I did, no more power.
If I so much as plug in a night light, I will bring the whole house of cards down as I am maxing out my current breaker.

Thanks for stopping by I have admired your grows for some time now...

So, I was able to snap a few shots of the ladies right before lights turned on:

Then I raised the light as suggested about 8" for now:

N

nukkumatti

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Aerohead again.
Aargghhh :D

I FUCKING LOVE IT!! :D DWC is mighty sexo too brother man!

Yo bro.. I'm just trying NOT to fuck up my grows all the time... :D :D And emphasis on TRYING! :D

StealthDragon

Recovering UO addict.
Veteran
whoa! it's almost time to trim again!

Impressive as well as inspirational bro. I need to get on it, I got some catching up to do.. :)