What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

VerdantGreen's quarters - 205w LED Organic Mod. ScrOG

darwinsbulldog

Landrace Lover
Veteran
nice scrog buddy! just wondering how much the led system set you back? cheers

and how do you find it with respect to yield you get off your plants if you've done other grows with hps, mh, cfl, natural light etc. cheers

U

unthing

Mites, I hate them..good that you seem have them in control.

You have couple of clones you've run under hps/cmh before, noticed any difference so far? I know it's bit early to tell much.

BORNaSMOKER

nite nite from most good hydro shops. just had a read and seems that peeps seem to prefer the pest off though. Manually killing as many as you can see always seems to work for me a bit. Last few times I've picked them up, they mainly seem to colonize just 1 plant, so taking out the plant has worked well alongside a couple of sprays, a day or 2 apart, of 'plant vitality +' from gro tec. I kept the infected plant isolated after spraing and the mites did come back slowly, so even 2 sprays wasn't totally effective. The other 20 in the room were fine after 2 sprays and removal of the infectee and finished nicely. I flowered the exile in isolation and controlled the mites by hand. Seemed ok yield, mites never made a single web, just a few damaged leaves.

Hope you get some good results mate, if you've got the time just squash as many adults as you can!!

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Frosty Buds - welcome! :)

darwinsbulldog - i was lucky enough to get a freebie LED unit to demo on the forums but this one costs $700. quite a big layout but if you do the maths you save enough on running costs/bulbs etc to make it cost effective over a couple of years or so.
as for yield then that is what we hope to find out with the next couple of grows ;)

unthing - a little to soon to say much about comparison as the furthest along is the Lemon Thai which i havent run before. we will start looking at that soon though for sure. the only thing ive noticed so far is that the plants seem to grow bigger leaves with the LED and that there is a little less stretch too.

BORNaSMOKER - yeah the mites seem to be less in evidence now and i hoep i havent damaged the buds by spraying - i tried to shield them from the spray as much as i could. thing is my canopy is so dense that its hard to get at all the leaves to examine or treat. i think i should just about get away with this round and i'll really treat the mums etc to rid me of the mites. having two different treatments helps. i also saw a predator today so perhaps they will help still too - the lazy little f*ckers :D

---

ill have a full update in the week but here is a lemon thai nug that is looking nice and frosty - some big glands on this for 36 days
picture.php

VG.

MeanBean

Lots of tric's bro, I'm pissed those mites are :bashhead: the program!!! Glad to see you :bashhead: them back. Doesn't look like their slowing your progress but still, they do have some impact...

Looks like alot of tric's forming right to the tips! Looks tastey..

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
yes MB the mites are a pain but hopefully i will overcome. ive had a pretty good run of a year or so without them being a problem but sooner or later they will always throw a spanner in the works. now i have two methods of control (neem and this new starch based 'pest off' ) it should help too.

forgot to mention that i used some Deep Chunk pollen from the freezer (collected from 5 males a few months ago) and pollenated a bud on each of the Lemon Thai and also the blueberry.

VG

bloyd

Veteran
deep lemon thai, sounds frosty! Always a pleasure to stop in and see v rocking the mod scrogs and being so damn good to everybody who asks q's. I can't wait to see the lt finish! by the looks of it you are going to be very happy! I wish I would have picked some up myself but will have to wait for bodhi's f4s. I can't blame the mites for wanting to be all over those tasty plants, hope they don't make to big of an impact.

BORNaSMOKER

Hey VG,

Back again!! Do you water the plats with a little run-off? And do you fluch the soil at any point??

Safety
Born

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
bloyd - yes i was hoping to make f4's myself but got all females!

apollonio - yes i do make hash with bubble bags - tbh though it's do strong i dont often get the occasion to smoke it. i will have to make some from the LT and Blueberry trim - ive got a whole box full of other trim waiting too.

BORNaSMOKER - hi, i dont really water till runoff on purpose. sometimes i get some - the pots i use are quite big so sometimes if i water them really well it is too much for the plant, other times i cant water them enough and they are still dry next time i go up (every 2 days or so)
the plants seem to use less water with the LED's

flushing as in flooding the pot with water is pretty much pointless in organics - the organic version of flushing, if any, is to make sure your plants run out of nutes/ferts towards the end of flowering

should have a full picture update for you guys and girls on thursday

VG

BORNaSMOKER

nice one mate, have been reading all this but it's always better speaking to uk growers with tried and tested results. How long are they in the big pots before flowering?

Can't wait for pic updates :D

Born

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
hey BaS they go into the big pots at the same time as they start flowering and are put in the cab (unless they need to be sexed first). the repot really encourages stretch which fills the screens

---

ok - some pics - please note some of these pics are for comparison from previous HPS runs - check the titles above the pics

lemon thai 4 at 6 weeks, frosty and smells great but im hoping its still got some growing to do. also you can see a tiny bit of light bleaching at the top of some of the buds.
picture.php

picture.php

blueberry at 36days, just over 5 weeks
picture.php

Power Plant at 27 days
picture.php

here is a pic of Power Plant at 26 days FROM A PREVIOUS HPS RUN
picture.php

Northern Lights at 20 days
picture.php

and here is NL from a previous HPS run at 20 days
picture.php

and a couple of cab shots. canopy is shaping up
picture.php

picture.php

cheers
VG

Tatz

Yo V, to me the comparing pics show that LED vs HPS seems to prove LED can stand it´s ground when it comes to developing buds... It looks like there´s no reason to go with HPS, as the costs of LED´s will earn itself by not having to change bulbs and way cheaper electr.bill.
Can´t wait to see the end-result. Keep up the good job ! +rep !!

one Q

Quality
Veteran
VG! the LED plants seem sturdier or something. They appear to have more LEAVES too, did you trim out the HID grown plants?

How is the development on the edges? You can see they are under ALOT less light. and at this stage how far are you keeping the light?

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
unc! - thanks mate :)

barth - yes the LED and HPS seem pretty comparable atm

BORNaSMOKER - yes the PP is pretty indica in habit - its a cut thats been around for quite a few years now. the high is very up and speedy then stoney on the come down.

Tatz - early days but yes the plants seem to be developing just as well if not better than HPS. i guess HPS is quite a bit cheaper at the start but not so much over a couple of years.

one Q - i dont trim leaves at all unless i have to - i may nip off one or two every few days if they are in the way. the buds at the edges seem just as well developed. light is about 7-8 inches above the tops atm. i moved it up a little because of the little bit of light bleaching on the lemon thai.

---

the mites seem under control for now. the buds on the Bb seem to be growing ok after they got sprayed with neem a couple of weeks ago.

one thing i just found out is that the predator mites dont breed in a day length of less than 14 hours light - so they are basically useless for flowering - doh! - i did quite a bit of research about them but didnt come across that fact till yesterday - im glad i took action against the mites with spray now.

VG

BORNaSMOKER

hey VG,

the three PP phenos I have kept aroung are nothing like these, They are really frosty, smelly, with a high-high, not really much stone. Only one is a high yielder but they all look so sativa in structure with a less than 8 week flower cycle!! I'll have to get you some snaps at some point.

Once I have my organic green fingers fully are grown I'll share some pics! Been buying parts for ya soil mix today ;) 400l peat!!! lmfao!!

best
BaS

Scrogerman

Veteran
the mites seem under control for now. the buds on the Bb seem to be growing ok after they got sprayed with neem a couple of weeks ago.

one thing i just found out is that the predator mites dont breed in a day length of less than 14 hours light - so they are basically useless for flowering - doh! - i did quite a bit of research about them but didnt come across that fact till yesterday - im glad i took action against the mites with spray now.

VG[/quote]

Hey Verdant bro!
Lovely looking growshow buddy, real nice man. & i'll be real interested in the end results here & smoke report etc, i may even invest in a large LED rig if you come out trumps with this one, best of luck with it all man, i know you'll nail it man! ;).
I considered what you said about the Preds & them not breeding in 12/12 light cycle etc. So in a little cab like that, id of just splashed out £40 or £50 quid and bought 4000 of the little warriors & made sure-lol, rather than using a neem based product, just my personal preference man, i do rate spray applications, but just prefer using the Preds man. Have you any information or Links or anything concerning the Persi Preds, you mentioned you'd researched them,? & how best to use them/keep them, their preferred enviroment, life cycles, things like that man?. Cheers Verd!
Peace & Best of Luck............Scroger! ;) ;) ;)